Friday 10 March 2023

GET OVER EA: 3 Game Conquest event in York

 Chris Carr and I travelled over to God's own Country, sorry, I meant from Lancashire to the UK's very own Mordor (Yorkshire). Fortunately, the Orcs were a great bunch of lads and well up on all the recent improvements to the game (embarrassingly more so than I)

With 12 players on the day (10 playing) and two doing a large demo it was biggest Conquest event I've attended, so well done to Ross EH GAMING YORK for supporting and Dan for organising...


I had planned to go for a slightly different list than the one I ran at Boards & Swords Gather for War event last month, but as I hadn't unpacked from that event and my wargames room had been "tidied" by the missus, felt it as well just to use same list...

The Hundred Kingdoms


In overall Command (Warlord) Noble Lord Ulric the Rash, The "Black Wolf" armed with The Flesh Cleaver leading

5 stands of Household Guard with Standard Bearer and Armsmaster

4 Household Knights with Standard Bearer and Tourney Champion


Officer of the Empire, Captain Hindsight in his Steel Legion with his pet, Spot

5 stands of Steel Legion with Standard Bearer and Drillmaster

6 stands of Men at Arms with Standard Bearer and Seasoned Veteran

3 stands of Mercenary Crossbowmen


Father Thomas de Douter, A Theist Priest leading the Militia 

 4 stands of Militia Bowmen 


GAME 1

BREAKOUT

Alex Ewart (York Garrison) playing with Nords. 

Alex (or rather Dan) made a point of repeatedly stating Alex had never won a game of Conquest, so that set me thinking I was onto a hiding win or lose...

From memory, he was running a Konugyr as Warlord in 5 stands of Huscarls, a Mountain Jotnar, 3 strong Fenr pack, Blooded in 3 stands of Bow chosen, 3 stands of trolls, Ice Jotnar.



TURNS 1 & 2

With the new rules allowing one unit to come on per turn in addition to those rolled for, we got a few on early. In this mission, before you could score from the objectives circles, you had to destroy your opponents column which also scored you points. The columns are represented by stands, Alex aiming to destroying the 4 circle infantry stands, with me aiming to destroy the large circle cavalry base.

Alex's Blooded also meant he could bring on two units at a time for free. As my Militia and priest advanced centrally, my crossbows on the left, my Noble Lord led on the Household Guard. Alex had the Blooded in Bow Chosen on my right, Trolls centre with the Huscarls and Konungyr there too


Turn 3

Lord Ulric the Rash surveys the battlefield. Everyone bar the Steel Legion would be on this turn...


My Men at Arms came on far right to threaten the bow chosen


The militia led by the Priest may seem and odd choice to hold the centre, but they are consistently my best unit...


The Bow Chosen scored the first point of damage to my right column


Whereas I elected to thin out the oncoming Nords horde, doing 4 wounds


The Fenr pack came on my left while Alex kept his Giants central. My Household Knights came on on my right to go after the Bow Chosen


The two Warlords and retinue were both pretty central. Additional points were up for grabs if you kill the enemy Warlord.


TURN 4

Everything would be on this turn. Alex got the drop on me, firing his Bow Chosen at the Obelisk again and retreating back out of a charge. Well, I moved the Knights. and then charged to do impact hits only...


I didn't even manage to drop a stand though what with the Bow Chosen's evasion. Still, battle was joined and I felt I had a strong position


Ah, those famous last words. The trolls hit like a ton of trolls into the flank of my cavalry


And wiped them out in a very one-sided and totally brutal melee


The Mountain Jotnar moved over to fill the void there (and also face off against the Steel legion who came on on my right)


I charged the obelisk in centre I had to destroy, doing a wound (you can only do one per action and they had 3). The Huscarls charged in and dropped 9 of my Guard, while my Militia and Priest thinned the Huscarls down some more


Ulric the Rash challenged the huge Nord warlord to a duel. Amazingly, I dropped the big guy down to 1 wound, while I only took 2. Result!!!


TURN 5

I won the roll and charged the Jotnar with my Steel Legion. And failed to make it in... Oh dear. The Huscarls hacked into my household guard and again failed to break them, only killing five...


My attacks back were pretty impressive. Although so were Alex's saves!!!


And I issued another challenge, cutting down the Nords Warlord but getting killed with a riposte...


Still, I was hanging on (the ice giant chucked some magic my way, dropping me to two men)


Having got stuck crossing the wee wall, the Steel Legion were easy prey for the Mountain Jotnar 


Alex had gotten enough points as we approached the end of the game to ensure he would win, with his Nords fully in control of the centre


However, the Jotnar hadnt quite managed to break my Legion boys


The Bow Chosen were free to reign arrows down again as the trolls made a long range charge into the Men at Arms


The Huscarls lost a few more to Holy Fire (and an arrow or two)


And in the final turn, the Jotnar swung his tree to devastating effect scoring ten hits


But my fine plate armour stood up well to it


BOARD AT END OF GAME

NORDS 11 VP's

HUNDRED KINGDOM 5 VP's

Alex played the objective game very well and scored well early on with the Bow Chosen destroying my right column. My men at Arms failed a 4+ charge with re-roll allowing the trolls to score from the objective circle on the right. I was then chasing and went for a desperate 5+ charge with Steel legion, which also failed. But it was a good game despite my poor charges. Alex has obviously learned from all his defeats and I have to say I really liked the scenario. So much more to it than killing your opponent, not that I did much of that...



GAME 2

Chris Lobodzinski (again)

OLD DOMINION



I played Chris at Board and Swords in the second game there, and it was a cracking, close game. He has augmented his force with an additional 2 Kataphractoi (5 plus mtd Strategoi) and 3 Bone Golems as below, losing some legionnaires to get them in. He still had a large block of 5 Praetorians with Xhilliarach, 3 stands of legionnaires, 3 stands of legionnaires with Archemandrite, 


The mission was Forlorn Hope as below.


TURNS 1-3

Chris had no light troops, so I got a head start with my troops coming on. I marched up the Militia and priest on my right


By Turn 3 I had everything but the Steel legion again as Chris sat and waited for reinforcements...


END OF TURN 3

We had both done a wound one each objective, but last turn I failed to hit mine. I put my Knights in the Legionnaires faces, hoping to get the first activation and hit the Archemandrite. The Bone Golems had came on my left, while the Kataphractoi came on my right, with my Steel Legion deploying there to counter them


Have to say Chris's paint job on these guys is sublime. Very understated, they look great...


My Knights face down the Undead Legions...


Praetorians and Kataphractoi on the right...


We both scored 4 VPs from the objectives on our own sides...

TURN 4

Chris won first activation, but didn't charge my knights, electing instead to cause the final wound on his destroyable objective


This gave him 2 points, but also blocked a charge by my Knights to his character led Legionnaires. So I charged the rear of the little unit


easily wiping the out in one devastating charge (Ok, only just managed it) and gaining points from this


I shot up my objective to score 2 from that


The square block of Legionnaires charged my Knights in the flank and wiped them out in an amazing display of good attacks, bad defence and worse resolve... The shame!!!


Chris marched the Kataphractoi up on my right, looking to come around my rear.


So i doubled timed the Steel Legion up to flank them if I got first turn...


END OF TURN 4

Old Dominion 13 VP's         One Hundred Kingdoms 13 VP's

TURN 5

We tied for first activation with a pair of 1's. And again with a pair of 6's, which Chris could reduce to get first activation!!!

He used his once per game "all units on activating could reform" and charged the Steel legion


And I managed to avoid being broken by 1 wound. PHEW!!! I struck back, mirroring the two stands damage done, but I had the Priest and Militia able to add their Fire power to the combat as the Undead Cavalry are Height 2...


Unfortunately, in engaging the cavalry I was not scoring off the objective, allowing Chris to creep ahead as he sat back with his infantry. 


With Chris ahead now, I had to close in on him, with the Men at Arms and the Household Guard marching up



The Praetorians could go help the cavalry or engage the Household Guard next turn


END OF TURN 5

Old Dominion 17 VP's         One Hundred Kingdoms 15 VP's


TURN 6


I got first activation and unsurprisingly had opted for the Steel Legion.


The Undead Cavalry held on grimly with one wound...


But managed to break my Steel Legion, with 3 wounds left on them


The Undead Legionnaire square charged my Household Guard, after I failed my charge at them with two very low rolls!!!


The Priest's Holy Fire sent the Undead Warlord and his unit back to the land of the dead, scoring me a massive 6 VP's


Unfortunately, Ulric the Rash and his Household Guard were utterly annihilated when the Praetorians flanked them, so Chris jumped back into the lead.


I did manage a successful charge into the bone golems with my men at Arms


But they were exposed badly. 


Still, they cut a walking mausoleum down and did 3 wounds on a second (which Chris then healed)



END OF TURN 6

Old Dominion 23 VP's         One Hundred Kingdoms 21 VP's

TURN 7

Chris won the first activation. Any guesses for what was coming???


Yeah, the Praetorians into the flank of my Men at Arms...


Amazingly, they survived (albeit barely)


Still, I did manage to double time my Steel (lack of) Legion onto the far objective


END OF TURN 7

Old Dominion 25 VP's         One Hundred Kingdoms 23 VP's

TURN 8

The Men at Arms... 


Died to the Bone Golems so I shot a Praetorian


My Imperial officer turned to survey the remnants of the One Hundred Kingdom force


As the Praetorians collected my left side objective. In a pointless display of frustration, my crossbows dropped a stand of Praetorians...


END OF TURN 8

Old Dominion 29 VP's         One Hundred Kingdoms 25 VP's

These failed charges are costing me!!! Another cracking match with Chris, and yet again he sneaked a narrow but well deserved win. The Kataphractoi and Steel legion was a well balanced fight, but my HouseHold Guard died doing absolutely nothing. Again, I lost my Knights in an unequal trade and those Praetorians barely slowed in marching up my lines. Have to say again though, another great scenario, definitely adds so much more to the game

GAME 3

GERARD HARDY

DWEGHOM

Gerard was running a tough looking Dweghom list but apparently his dice had been shocking (he'd lost to Chris earlier who confirmed this) but he did have a Drake so I was expecting a roasting..

Gerard list from memory was:
Hold Raegh with six stands of Thanes, 6 stands of Hold Warriors, 3 stands of Hold Ballistae, Tempered Sorcerer on Helldrake, 3 stands of Hold Ballistae, 3 stands of Hold Warriors


Another new scenario, Head to Head with points for units destroyed as well as objective control


TURN 1

Gerard got one unit of hold ballistae on which he placed on my right, while I got both my Lights on and matched his deployment with my Merc crossbows while my Militia boldly took the centre again


Turn 2

Gerard got his large unit of Hold Warriors on a well as a second unit of Hold Ballistae. I brought on my Household Guard to face the large Hold warrior block, with both aiming to either defend the objective or attack the opponents


And broght on my Men at Arms to go for the large 3 point objective on my right


The Militia Bowmen have slightly less range than the Hold ballistae


BOARD AT END OF TURN 2

The Drake made its appearance marching right into my shooting lines. My Household Knights ere last on, and positioned to deliver a flank charge to the right side Hold Ballistae


The Fiery Tempered Sorcerer atop his Great Fire Drake


TURN 3

My right side view on the Dweghom...


I fired my Milita bowmen at the only real target they had


Alas, it seemed to do nothing other than draw the beasts attention to them.. I lost five men to its cannons


But the crossbowmen left my priest wondering whether his Holy Fire was not as good as the Dweghom Elemental control... 13 of 16 Militia lay burned or peppered with bolts!!!


Still, my crossbowmen dropped a stand of Ballistae which would prove very useful


The Tempered Sorcerer delivered the coup de Grace on my poor little priest and his Militia


On the left, my Household guard advanced on the Dweghom objective


And finally figured that with Best of Men, having the Steel Legion near my Lord actually made sense


My cunning plan of move, then charge to deliver Impact hits into the Dweghom Ballistae flank 


worked a treat as I wiped the unit out and was well placed to flank the Drake next turn


My Men at Arms secured the right objective, and the Thanes came on to threaten my cavalry! I hoped that I would win first activation


END OF TURN 3

DWEGHOM 4 VP's ONE HUNDRED KINGDOMS 5 VP's

TURN 4

I forgot the 3 Hold Warriors stand coming on my far right, they would certainly contest my right force.  But I had the upper hand on my left which I could keep only if I could bring the Drake down


I WON THE ROLL !!!


"CHAAAAAARRRRGE!!!!"


I couldn't get the last Knight in sadly


But with impact hits, lance attacks and resolve, the 14 wounds melted off the Fire breather


EXCEPT ONE!!! Yes, that's right, Gerard's Hellbringer Drake managed to survive the Knights assault


And in a surprise, his Hold Warriors moved then charged my Household Guard to hold them on the hill


My next activation saw my Household Guard fluff their attacks with six hits. Until I remembered the Best of Men allowed natural 6's to be re-rolled...


which meant I was two wound short of breaking the short assed warriors!!!


The Dweghom charge had penned in my Steel legion a bit, who were shot at by the Hold ballistae


Before the Thanes easily wiped out my Knights by a flanking charge. Three games, three exposed flanks, three on shot charges by my opponents. It's official, I must be the worst cavalry commander the One Hundred Kingdoms has ever had the misfortune to have had...


My Steel legion wiggled out of their log jam...


Into Drake range...DOH!!!


Four hits from Gerards poor rolls...


BEST OF MEN, BEST OF MEN, BEST OF MEN!!!


This tactics seems to work, need to try this more often rather than splitting my blocks. Think its called Concentration of force, but I rarely concentrate in game...


And after that, well the one wounded beast had to come down. The Mercenary Crossbowmen earned their pay !!!



The centre had been cleared and my left looked solid. Gerard had a choice to make with his Thanes: go for teh three points and wipe out my Men at Arms or assist the real combat on the left???


Should point out that the 3 stands of Hold Warriors on the right charged in after moving to block my Men at Arms but in some spectacularly bad dice the Warriors lost two stands and were broken. And couldn't contest the objective...


Those Thanes certainly were an imposing force


END OF TURN 4

DWEGHOM 6 VP's ONE HUNDRED KINGDOM 12 VP's

TURN 5

I got to go first and smacked the Hold Warriors on the hill with the Household Guard


They rallied and attacked back, doing ok but then my Men at Arms attacked the other Hold Warriors scoring ten hits against the five wound stand. Gerard's magnificent dice continued, with not a single roll of 3 or less in the ten dice rolled.


END OF TURN 5

DWEGHOM 6 VP's ONE HUNDRED KINGDOMS 14 VP's

TURN 6

A long range charge by the Thanes saw revenge for the fallen Hold Warriors 


12 wounds caused by melee


Before the Hold Raegh attacked and before resolve. I didnt survive!!!


My Steel Legion had moved then charged to pin the Hold Ballistae last turn


My attack on the Ballistae saw an impressive 13 hits


easily vanquishing them...


The Steel Legion did the same to the remnants of the hold Warriors on the hill


END OF TURN 6

DWEGHOM 11 VP's ONE HUNDRED KINGDOMS 18 VP's

TURN 7

State of play was that I had secured the left flank while the Thanes would only have to wipe out the crossbows to secure my right.


A long charge saw the Thanes engage and attack


The result was a foregone conclusion, with an utter wipe out of the Mercenaries...


On the left, I redeployed too look good and secure the far Dweghom objective, scoring 4 VP's every turn v the three Gerard could get from the right side


Given that, we called the game there...

ONE HUNDRED KINGDOMS 22VP's

DWEGHOM 16VP's

Another amazing game, these new scenario's were simply great and bring so much more to the game. Cannot stress that enough. And Gerard did have some shocking dice, and I got the first activation when I needed it. That Hellbringer is well named. Gerard was real fun to paly against, but suffered badly with defence and resolve on everyone bar the Thanes who just ate everything in front of them. 

So, a great event run by the Yorkshire lads and organised by Dan Wartnaby (below with prize support) which was generously provided by Ross at EH GAMING in York. Definitely looking forward to the next one, maybe with my new Nords force...




FINAL STANDINGS: Definitely honours going to the White Rose's of the York Garrison



No comments:

Post a Comment