Monday 27 March 2023

Scottish ELO Event 24th March 2023

 Andy "Lord Robbo" and I headed up to Stirling on Thursday ahead of the ELO event at Common Ground Games and spent a great night in an Irish bar with live music with Aaron and Serena, watching Italy v England before the music started...


GAME 1

A CLASH OF KINGS

Carlo "z4carlo" Connor-Hill

TARGARYENS


For the ELO event, I had selected dual Alliser Thorne lists and given that I was facing Targaryens, with at least one dragon and cavalry unit, I opted for my Scorpion build...

• Sworn Brothers withAlliser Thorne - Master-at-Arms (C)
• Veterans of the Watch with Watch Captain
• Shadow Tower Spearmen with Watch Captain
• Builder Scorpion Crew with Scorpion Modifications - Othell Yarwyck

NCU's
• Aemon
• Othell Yarwyck

My opponent's list was highly maneuverable, as below

• Hedge Knights with Jorah Mormont - Westerosi Tactician (C)
• Dothraki Hrakkars
• Drogon
• Freedmen
• Dothraki Outriders

NCU's
• Illyrio Mopatis
• Petyr Baelish
• Daenerys Targaryen
My opponent was none other than Carlo "z4carlo" Connor-Hill, so a very tough
match up for me. The list didn't look THAT scary...



Random Terrain selection & Set Up: Wall, Hedge, Weir Wood & Palisade extreme right

Targaryen's: Freedmen, Outriders, Drogon, Hedge Knights with Jorah. (Hrakkars on outflank)

Nights Watch: Shadow Tower Spearmen, Alliser Sworn Brothers, Veterans, Scorpion


TURN 1

We worked our way through the tactics board first, with Carlo going first and taking the letters. Othell then shot up the Hedge Knights, while Carlo crown zapped the Spearmen for a wound. 


I took the swords with Aemon and took a long range scorpion shot at the Hedge knights, hitting once and dropping Knight. 


I marched up centrally and on the right, while Carlo moved up on the left.


A little more hesitantly than I did as he grouped left centre...


Illyrio took the Horses but healed up the Hedge knights


TURN 2

Othell took the Bags again after the Hrakkars deployed on my left


 and dropped another Hedge knight


Again we worked through the tactics board but Illyrio was saved by Carlo for later


A shot of the board with the Hrakkars on far left


I sent the Sworn Brothers up to the centre objective after the Veterans took the right objective


Carlo had out activated me and with Drogon and the Hedge Knights still to go I had to hope for the best as Illyrio took a Sworn Brother with a Crown panic check


Sure enough Drogon went into Alliser and his Sworn Brothers, as Carlo avoided the Watch Captains


The Hedge Knights finished the job, and surged forth toward the Scorpion


However, Carlo was the first played to kill an opponents Commander so I ended up with the spot prize for losing my Commander first, a 2014 Comic Con Collectable


Board End of Turn 2

Carlo had picked his target well and was positioned to strike at my force piecemeal


END OF TURN 2

TARGARYENS 3 VP's (3pts for killing my commanders unit with his)

NIGHTS WATCH 1 VP (1 objective)

TURN 2

Carlo activated Jorah's Hedge Knights and flank charged the Scorpion, easily killing it after taking two wounds from their defensive stakes


I took Othell and shot up the Hrakkars


but Daenerys took the swords and changed the zone to use Jorah's "Betrayal" card. The spearmen were shot up by the Outriders. I took the horses to move the spearmen


Before charging into the unactivated Hrakkars using the Sword in the Darkness


But managed a measily two hits...


Drogon moves in for the kill


But I managed to hang on from his attack, using the Watch Captain to attack the Hrakkars after they'd healed up. 


With two men left, the Hrakkars activated and attacked and easily finished off the Shadow Tower men


END OF TURN 3

TARGARYENS 6 VP's (1 objective, 5 from units)

NIGHTS WATCH 2 VP's (2 objectives)

TURN 4

I had Othell take the bags and shoot the Hrakkars, killing them...


I'd killed a unit at least


With my Veterans alone on the objective, Carlo claimed the other two and the game was activated out.


END OF TURN 5 (& Game)

TARGARYENS 10 VP's (5 objectives, 5 from units)

NIGHST WATCH 5 VP's (4 objectives, 1 unit)



As I said, Carlo's list didn't look that scary to be honest, but it's maneuverability and his intimate knowledge of the game allowed him to simply avoid the units he wanted to until he was ready to strike and he literally took me apart with consummate ease. I've played Carlo a few times now and he's a real pleasure to play, really laid back in our games. He just doesn't make mistakes and is quite chilled about actually telling you what you did wrong (or rather suggesting what you might have done differently). Best way to learn is to play better players than yourself.

Alas, my dreams of claiming Longclaw (1st Prize) were as deeply diminished as my force was. Still I did have my little Greywind collectable to thank him for 




PAINTED UNITS ON DISPLAY

(apologies I didn't get all the names)

















GAME 2

THE WINDS OF WINTER

ROSS "JOYCEY" JOYCE

GREYJOYS

I opted for my second Alliser list given the infantry forces arrayed against me

• Shadow Tower Spearmen Alliser Thorne - Master-at-Arms (C) • Conscripts • Veterans of the Watch with Watch Captain • Coldhands - Mysterious Ally • Ranger Trackers NCU's • Aemon • Othell Yarwyck

Ross  had an Erik led Greyjoy force with  Beron and Jaqen (to allow him to duplicate Beron. Nice)


• Ironmakers with Erik Ironmaker - Anvil-Breaker (C) • Blacktyde Chosen • House Harlaw Reapers • House Harlaw Reapers • Ironborn Bowmen NCU's • Beron Blacktyde • Jaqen H'ghar

Random terrain: Corpse pile left, Weir Wood centre left, two Walls centrally and Woods on the right


I was too busy chatting with Ross to remember to take army set up snaps, so here we are towards end of TURN 1.

Greyjoys: Harlaw Reapers, Blacktyde Chosen, Ironmakers, Bowmen

Night's Watch: Coldhands, Conscripts, Allisers Spearmen, Ranger Trackers, Veterans



Othell on the wall targeted the right side Reapers but failed misreably


TURN 2

Ross activated first and took the sword, giving me a point. The bowmen were ineffectual


Othell took the bags and returned fire against the bowmen


killing a rank as I switched targets to them


Erik's Ironmakers charged my Spearmen after I'd moved up towards the centre objective off the Horses


With Alliser being there and getting to attack first with set for charge, the Ironmakers lost six men. The Harlaw Reapers on the right got the drop on the mounted rangers but the trees helped and attacking back allowed me to drop 3 in return. The Veterans maneuvered up ready for next turn.


                                                                    END OF TURN 2

NIGHTS WATCH 1 VP

TARGARYENS 0 VP

Ross played the card that allowed him to score and take the first turn. The Rangers got attacked but Aemon healed up. The Blacktyde Chosen charged the Spearmen but only dropped two of my men. I sent the Veterans into the Bowmen and wiped them out


The Ironmakers attacked the Spearmen but Ross rolled poorly and I survived it fairly well. I then activated on the horses with Othell and retreated away as felt the odds were definitely in the Greyjoys favour...


On activation, the spearmen charged into the Reapers flank and scored well but Berons influence meant they only took half damage. 


I charged Coldhands into Eriks unit to deny him scoring 2 points of the centre objective and the conscripts healed up the spearmen.


End of Turn 2

Nights Watch 1 VP
Greyjoys         1 VP

TURN 3


I activated the Veterans and charged the rear of the Reapers before they could be influenced...


I rolled a one for the charge so no re-rolls...


Still, I killed 2 and another one with panic. Off the horses, the Blacktyde moved up so I lashed out with the spearmen off the swords, who were then healed up. Othell dropped the Ironmakers down to 3 men and they retreated away from Coldhands. I charged the Blacktyde with the Conscripts to protect the rear of the Spearmen.


The Reapers lashed out at the Rangers and dropped a rank, but were then cut down to two by the spearmen activating. I retreated the Rangers away from the melee


END OF TURN 3

GREYJOYS 3 VP's

NIGHST WATCH 2 VPs

TURN 4 & 5


This was an intense turn, so much so that I didn't get any pictures. Essentially, I finished off the Reapers after a prolonged bout of healing and Ross killed the Conscripts too, but they didn't die easily as I healed up with Aemon. A few Ironmakers were returned and the left side Reapers flew across the field so that come Turn 5 we both had three units facing off against one another. It was a very tight game...

TURN 6

I had Othell take the Horses to deny it to Ross and bring my Ranger Trackers around to threaten the Blacktyde. I'd played score a point for each objective you control and Ross's wasn't a good one for him.


The Greyjoys and Nights watch face off but my plans were purely tactical and involved withdrawing onto the objectives.


We played through the board first but there wasn't much Ross could do to stop me scoring, which I duly did


END OF TURN 6

NIGHTS WATCH 7 VP's

GREYJOYS 5 VPs

I'm gutted I didn't record the attrition battle in Turns 4 and 5, it was so tight and tense but we certainly went at it. As we chatted after, it turns out we didn't play the scenario correctly as you can score of off your opponents cards. Neither Ross nor I was aware of that, as we don't play the card scenarios much. And as we couldn't really remember who scored what off which card and when, and results had been submitted, we just shrugged and agreed we'd both played it the same way, so it was what it was. It certainly was a really great game...




GAME 3

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

RYAN "MOURNIVAL" ODLIN

BARATHEONS (RENLY)


Stag Knights with Renly Baratheon - Lord Paramount of the Stormlands (C)
Baratheon Wardens with Master Warden
Highgarden Pikemen
Hedge Knights with Glory Seeker

NCU's
Olenna Tyrell
Eldon Estermont
Cortnay Penrose
Ryan ran Greyjoys last year at the Scottish GT as did I, so we had chatted a lot then and again at the LGT so it was really good to play him (even though he had turned to the False heir's faction). I opted for the same Alliser list as last game as felt it coped well with the attritional battle...


Just as his Greyjoys were magnificently painted last year, Ryan's Baratheons were amazing...


Terrain: Palisade and Corpse pile left, wall central and Weir Wood centre right.

BARATHEONS: Renly & Stag Knights, Wardens, Hedge Knights & Highgarden Pikemen

NIGHTS WATCH: Trackers, Veterans, Coldhands Conscripts and Alliser's Spearmen




TURN 1

Ryan got to choose sides and I let him go first. He took the letters, I countered with horses and advanced up on my right with the spearmen. Ryan advanced up the centre, I swung heavily right and had the spearmen grab the right side objective with the exception of the Trackers, whom I threw wide left, but not taking the objective.


Tactics board at end of Turn 1


TURN 2

Board at Start of Turn 2


Ryan activated Olenna and switched off Othell while she claimed the horses and swung the Stag Knights out toward my trackers. I had Othell take the letters for cards and weakened the Hedge Knights. Ryan then took the bags to remove the weakened. I edged back my Spearmen, the Warden's Marched up and took the centre. I moved up my Veterans to entice a charge and protect the Conscripts. Renly and his Stag Knights advanced on my Trackers. 


With both the units to my left activated, I used Aemon on crowns and had Wardens take a panic check, which they failed...


I did this to deny Ryan the point, but realised it worked well for me...


I activated my Trackers, and ignored the left objective, sweeping past the Stag Knights and seizing the recently dropped objective and outside both units charge arcs...

Board at End of Turn 2


END OF TURN 2

NIGHTS WATCH 2 VP's (2 objectives)

BARATHEONS 0 VP's

TURN 3

I had two objectives so decided to try and keep them and activated the Veterans and charged the Hedge Knights


I played The Sword in the Darkness making them Panicked & Vulnerable 


I scored seven hits from the nine attacks (seven basic,+1 from Sword card and +1 from Watch Capt) 


I dropped a horse and added a few wounds to another


Olenna healed the Hedge knights and switched off Othell, so I took the Swords with him  and attacked again. Ryan took the horses to swing Renly around to threaten my trackers flank


And then flank my unit. I did manage to survive and pass the panic due to The Fire that Burns against the cold...


Just...


And then Ryan took the bait!!! The Pikemen charged the flank of the Veterans, doing three auto hits due to co-ordinated assault and had seven attack dice. But I used Cold hands Raven Flock which combined with disrupt meant he missed all seven, and took 6 wounds from the counterstrike back. 


I did lose a few men from the impacts that auto hit


I then used Watch Captains relentless to attack back


 And dropped another five. 11 Pikemen died in the charge


I then got to activate, so Coldhands charged the Pikemen in the flank and wiped them out. Ryan was well shocked...


When the Hedge Knights struck, my Veterans saving throws were good


And having passed two attack morale check, I'd healed up two men with Jeor's ability


And I then used Watch Capt to attack back and scored seven hits which dropped a rank of the cavalry. 


Board at the End of Turn 3

Aemon took the letters and healed up a wound on the Trackers as the Wardens swung around to face them...


END OF TURN 3

NIGHTS WATCH 5 VP's

BARATHEONS 1 VP's

TURN 4


Olenna took the swords and switched off Othell again


And the Stag Knights smacked the Trackers leaving them on one wound...


As they passed another panic check...


The Veterans attacked the hedge Knights off Now his Watch ahs ended, using The Light that Brings the Dawn for re-rolls


And all nine dice hit as a result


Wiping them out and turning to face the remaining Baratheons. The Wardens charged the wounded tracker and wiped them out, and turned to face the veterans who duly charged them and dropped a rank off them, giving em the objective.


END OF TURN 4

NIGHTS WATCH 7 VPs

BARATHEONS 4 VPs

TURN 5

Renly's Stag Knights failed a 3+ charged, while the Veterans and Stag Knights got into a counter strike melee that resulted in both units dropping down to two men..


They eventually fell to a failed panic...


And my Conscripts healed them up...


END OF TURN 5 (& GAME)

NIGHTS WATCH 10 VP's

BARATHEONS (4 VPs)

Great game and the Veterans/Coldhands Combo really swung the game for me. Dropping a unit that charges you to one model is well harsh. And I also got a lucky panic and then pinched the token and the healing we could both throw out made it hard for Ryan to pull it back, as well as having Renly out of the main fight was a real big bonus. It was great to play Ryan and  sure we'll meet again

TIM WHITNEY received the Best Painting award 


I was surprised to win Best Sportsman which was much appreciated so thanks to all three of my opponents...




My reward...


And one of many highlights of the weekend. My chauffeur for the weekend, Andy Robinson aka "Lord Robbo" pipped Mickey Arnold to the top spot (by 0.1 point) and collected Longclaw as the ELO event winner.



A good day for the Wardens of the North-West and thanks to Common Ground Games, Stephen for running it and all my opponents and attendees for making it a sterling event in Stirling.


Better pictures from both the ELO and Scottish GT all below at

AWGT 2023 (pic-time.com)

Courtesy of  Doug Gordon


UPCOMING TOURNAMENTS (WORLDWIDE) 

ASOIF STATS TOURNAMENTS


UK EVENTS

Next up for me is the highlight of last year's events, a return North of the Wall to the Scottish GT
ALWAYS WINTER 2023, COMMON GROUND GAMES
LISTS LOCKED

THE DEAD META LADS ARE RUNNING THIS IN MAY



Paul Whitehead and Thomas Whitworth are running cracking looking 50pt one dayer over a Leodis Games in Leeds in June



I missed the CYMRU GT last year but is allegedly on a par socially with Scotland, so Greg and I are going.





And there are The Circuit Events run by ASOIF Stats and Carlo

The three events are as follows:

London Open – April 15TH/16TH
Birmingham GT – May 27TH/28TH
Leeds GT August 5TH/6TH

You can find a joint rules pack – including information on how to purchase a ticket - for the events here:



THE LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT

Saturday 30th September & Sunday 1st October

Paul Winter has taken over running this event and its the biggest one!!!



I WILL BE RUNNING THE RIBBLE RUMBLE AGAIN THIS YEAR.  IT'S GOING TO BE 
DECEMBER 2nd/3rd 2023









1 comment: