Saturday 2 September 2023

Greyjoys v Martells : A Clash of Kings

 Another Thursday down at Justplay, but with a difference: 8 players, plus an interested 9th party. 

Must be a big event on the horizon, eh? 

LONDON GRANT TOURNAMENT 

Tickets still available

So my opponent tonight would be Elliot, who after a few games v Colin and Aden using Baratheon's and Free Folk respectively, took the plunge and bought the Martell starter and a few boxes. i ran the same list that was so successful (ok, so lucky against Colin, who incidentally was thrilled to be playing on the table next to me so I could remind him all night) 


Greyjoy List

Ironborn Reavers with Asha Greyjoy - The Kraken's Daughter (C)
 Ironborn Reavers with Warsworn
 Ironborn Reavers
 Drowned Men 
Drowned Men
 Ironborn Bowmen
 Ironborn Trappers

 NCU's
Aeron Greyjoy & Erik Ironmaker

Elliot used starter box only for NCU's as he gets a feel for his army, with Royal guard and Starfall knights to supplement his troops

Elliot's Martell List

  Sunspear Royal Guard with Oberyn Martell - Prince of Dorne (C)
  Martell Spearmen 
  Martell Spearmen 
  Starfall Knights 
 Sand Skirmishers

NCU's
 Doran Martell & Ellaria Sand 


Elliot chose the side for deployment, and being a dope, I then elected to go first (despite facing Doran)



SCENARIO was CLASH of KINGS

Terrain: Bog, Corpse pile, Weirwood and Weirwood

MARTELLS: Starfall Knights, Spearmen, Oberyn's Royal Guard, Sand Skirmishers, Spearmen

GREYJOYS: Front row - Reavers, Warsworn Reavers,  Asha's Reavers, Trappers 
Second Row - Bowmen, Drowned Men, Drowned Men


TURN 1

I took Letters, Elliot took Bags, I took Horses, Elliot took Crown.


 I swung up left, Elliot on my right and while I marched, Elliot advanced (although his Knights shied away from my Reavers)


TURN 2

Dorian took the Water Gardens for a second token, I took the left objective before Elliot took the horses to move his spearmen


I activated up a bit on my left and sent the Trappers forward, but Elliot held back his forces as they swung up on my right


On the left, the Spearmen also edged forward, not looking to engage me and lose his set for charge advantage.


But Oberyns Royal guard, having shifted up, did take the bait and charged in


dropping half my unit from their melee attacks. However, Elliott elected not to use his Manticore venom.


True to form, my lowly Trappers passed their panic check


Having passed, I played Ironborn Mettle to heal 3 wounds, then had Damphair take the bags and influence them before taking the swords with Erik to get them to attack, scoring 1 wound as Elliot didnt use his shieldwall.


The Starfall Knights advanced up but refused to commit to a charge, so Asha's Reavers took the central objective, as my second row followed up to support.


BOARD AT END OF TURN 2


END OF TURN 2

HOUSE GREYJOY 2 VP's (2 objectives)

HOUSE MARTELL 1 VP (1 objective)



TURN 3

I had Damphair take the swords and influence Asha's unit as felt she was going to need it.


Oberyns Royal Guard activated and attacked the Trappers, this time using the Manticore venom to prevent me healing...


Menahwhile, on the table next to us, Greg's Lannisters were in a pinch as Colin excitedly told the rest of us his Night's Watch hired help of Golden Company with Watch Captain had rear ended Tyrion's Mountain Men and had twelve dice to attack with. (They were weakened and Tyrion actually survived the initial onlsaught 


Anyway, my Warsworn's Reavers charged the left side Martell spearmen who did two wounds via melee and I then lost three more to the panic check.


At least Asha's unit were protecting their flank, although the skirmishers moved up and shot them


They had picked up a pillage from Erik earlier but didn't need the +1 morale as they passed their panic check easily enough. 


Combat conga in the middle next door, and despite the Golden company, Greg managed to pull off a close win in the end...



Ray's Renly Baratheon force also had a unit of Golden Company which Aden's Greyjoys battered. Alas, despite losing the GC, Aden still lost out to Ray in the end...


Meanwhile, as the Starfall Knights again refused to commit , I had my Trappers flank the right side Martell spearmen rather ineffectually, while my Warsworn Reavers were cut down to two men. Before Asha's Reavers charged into the Sand Skirmishers and fluffed the attack, killing two men. Fortunately, the Ironborn Bowmen cut them down some more and they lost a man to Asha passing he rmorale 


End of Turn 3

HOUSE GREYJOY 3 VP's

HOUSE MARTELL's 2 VP's

Board at End of Turn 3


TURN 4

My Warsworn Reavers healed two up from Drowned Men start of  turn, but Elliot activated the Starfall Knights and hit Asha's Reavers hard in the flank, doing 6 wounds but I passed my morale check, which killed a Sand Skirmisher with my Stubborn Tenacity. I activated Asha's unit to play Raiding Call and reinforce the unit with 4 men from my bowmen. My weakened attack only killed two, as I only managed to roll two successful hits from seven dice. Still, it took a rank and gave me a second pillage. 


Elliot took the Horses and swung Oberyn around to threaten my flank, so I pinned them in place with a Drowned Men charge. I even killed one. Off the Swords, Oberyn's Royal Guard attacked my Drowned Men causing three wounds, so I used their own order next turn to heal them up


I replaced a zone with We Do Not Sow allowing Asha to attack with eight dice


Hmmm, that's pretty poor by anyone's standard as the Dune Skirmishers survived on one wound.


They activated and retreated away, shooting ineffectually at Asha's Reavers. 


I activated my Warsworn Reavers, playing my second Raiding Call to heal up four, before cutting the spearmen down to a single rank, restoring 3 more Reavers due to Fuelled by slaughter and also gaining two pillage tokens.


I then flanked the spearmen with the left side Reavers, killing them before surging back onto the left objective.


Oberyn's Royal Guard and their precision had killed off the Drowned Men and due to my proximity couldn't take the centre, but Elliot denied me the chance to


Asha's unit activated, cutting the Knights down to a single rank


And on the right, having been attacked by the spearmen and reduced down to two, my Trappers retreated...


My second Drowned Men charged in to again pin the Red Vyper.s unit, as I took the bags to heal up my bowmen who had been influenced by Damphair.

HOUSE GREYJOY 5 VP's (1 unit, 4 objectives)

HOUSE MARTELL 5 VP's (1 unit, 1 Doran, 3 objectives

Board at End of Turn 4


TURN 5

I took the swords with Damphair, influenced Asha and had Asha's Reaver sattack the Knights. With Vulnerable and Sundering and using a card for Precision


I scored 2 wounds and 4 hits and Elliot failed their saves, wiping them out and allowing me to surge forth.


Elliot's sole Dune Skirmisher moved up off the horses and shot using their order, again ineffectually...


But I was still in arc so activated Asha's Reavers and charged easily killing the last man


After turning his right spearmen to face Asha, I had Erik take the crown to deny Elliot its use in case he targeted my last two Trappers.


And managed to kill 3 spearmen from the panic...


END OF TURN 5

HOUSE GREYJOY 8 VP's ( 3 units, 5 objectives)

HOUSE MARTELL 7 VP's (1 unit, 2 Doran, 4 objectives)

TURN 6

Elliot took the swords and Precision made short work of the Drowned Men, and Oberyn surged onto the centre. I charged them with the Warsworn Reavers, cutting them down a rank despite Sheildwall but Elliot healed them up from the bags. I used the Horses to swing  Asha round to threaten Oberyn's flank, hoping it may draw a charge from the Speamen on my right, but they sat tight.


Asha's charge hurt but the Bowmen fired ineffectually and I realised I'd erred in sending Asha in after Oberyn. I charged the Trappers into the Royal Guards rear in a desperate attempt to finish them...


But they didn't even manage to hit.

BOARD AT END OF TURN 6 (& Game)


HOUSE MARTELL 10 VP's (2 units, 3 Doran, 5 objectives)

HOUSE GREYJOYS 9 VP's (3 units, 6 objectives)


Well, it was a game of errors but as a first proper game for Elliot with his own force, it was actually really enjoyable and showed the game up well. I had the upper hand but blew it with not taking first activation in second turn to deny a Doran point, nor charge the Spearmen at end as Asha could have had them easier than Oberyn. We also forgot to score off killing units with Commander which meant at end of turn 5 it would have been 10-8 to me but in the end we both killed two units each with our commanders and I forgot, so it was Eliot's victory and well deserved. I felt he was a little to cautious with his Starfall Knights but his spearmen didn't get carried away and did their job. Asha's inability to finish off 4 Dune Skirmishers with 15 attacks was frustrating, as were a pair of ones on charging...

Ste popped down from upstairs, where he had been banished to play Andy and decided to show off the shine... 

THE WARDENS OF THE NORTH-WEST

Aden "Spykr"   
Billy (Elliot's mate who watched the goings on and may get on board)
Elliot Jones
Greg "Greggers" Deane
Stephen "pyschoSte" Connor
Colin "Kolco" Deane 
Brian "Bannockburn" McGonigle 
Andy "Lord Robbo" Robinson
Ray "Mr Ray" Grieves


JUST FOR POSTERITY

Warden                                                                                                UK Ranking
                                                                                                              (of 486)

Stephen "PyschoSte" Connor                                                                                         8
Ray "Mr Ray" Grieves                                                                                                   9
Colin "Kolco" Deane                                                                                                     10
Andy "Lord Robbo" Robinson                                                                                      21
Brian "Bannockburn" McGonigle                                                                                 41
Aden "Spykr"                                                                                                                187
Greg "Greggers" Deane                                                                                                 373

Worth mentioning Colin has lost his also two games and so dropped from top warden in a week and didn't add Elliot as only a few games in and not sure they've been put on Stats yet. You can tell the more competitive (better?) players by position...

OTHER UK EVENTS

                              



Northampton
Dates as above

--------------------------------------------------

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2023 

                                      Winter is Coming


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE RECONQUEST OF SWIND - DORNE

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 16

ATOMC GAMES


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Factorum Warminster
Join us for 3 fun-filled games of A Song of Ice & Fire in one of our casual tournaments. If you are new to the game, or just wanna pop along and roll some dice, then this is the event for you.
Tickets are only £7.50 
WARMINSTER

 16th September


---------------------------------------------------------------------

Morton Park Way, Darlington, UK

Sat Nov 11 2023


MORE INFO



-----------------------------------------------------------------------


COVENTRY GT

11/12th NOVEMBER

Centre AT7, Bell Green Road, Coventry UK

TICKET LINK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTOYMENT GAMES 

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE TOURNAMENT 

SUNDAY 10th SEPTEMBER in POOLE 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



You can find a joint rules pack – including information on how to purchase a ticket - for the events here:






THE LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT

Saturday 30th September & Sunday 1st October

Paul Winter has taken over running this event and its the biggest one!!!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEODIS GAMES

26th NOVEMBER

BATTLE IN THE CRIMSON SNOW


TICKET LINK TO FOLLOW


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIBBLE RUMBLE 

(SOLD OUT)

Reserve list in place if interested...

ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT

DECEMBER 2nd/3rd 2023

3 Games Saturday, 2 Sunday 2.25hrs each game. Nice chilled lists appreciated, newcomers welcome.




2024

THE WELSH GT 2024


No comments:

Post a Comment