Saturday 18 November 2023

Martell's v Greyjoy's: Revenge of the Greggers???

 So after defeating Greg's Vargo Hoat list a fortnight ago, Greg "Greggers" Deane upped the ante and brought a seriously hard looking all Greyjoy, Victarion double Silenced Men list around to mine, to face Doran Martell, the Armchair General...


Sunspear Dervishes with Areo Hotah - Captain of the Guard

Sand Skirmishers with Spearlord

Martell Spearmen

Martell Spearmen

Sunspear Royal Guard

NCU's

Doran Martell (C) & Oberyn Martell



Greg's list was pinched from the "Orcboy", the highest finisher with Greyjoy's at the LGT, with 3 hard hitting combat units... 


Silenced Men with Victarion Greyjoy - The Iron Captain (C)

Silenced Men with Nute - The Barber

House Harlaw Reapers Ramsay Snow - Sadist & Theon Greyjoy - Reek

Drowned Men

                                                                NCU's
Moqorro, Balon Greyjoy & Wendamyr

TERRAIN & DEPLOYMENT


TERRAIN: Woods, Corpse Pile, Weirwood and Stakes

GREYJOYS: Vic's Silenced Men, Harlaw Reapers, Drowned Men rear, Nute's Silenced Men

MARTELL: Spearmen, Sunspear Royal Guard, Sand Skirmishers, Dune Vyper's, Spearmen


TURN 1

I opted to go first, as wanted to see where Greg went for turn 2. Oberyn took the Letter


Greg took the bags to remove  the weakened I'd put out, before I took Crown and changed it to Ripe to Act, making all four enemy units Vulnerable. I like that...


I pushed up with my Spearmen on the flanks, trying to draw out Greg to split his forces


But Greg kept his big hitters central, erring by leaving his Drowned Men to last, so I was able to Cunning ploy to have Hotah's Dervishes activate but do nothing, allowing my Sand Skirmishers to march right up and at Nute's Silenced Men...


They then activated and moved over onto the far right objective, triggering both orders to shoot after movement with re-rolls and precision at Nute and his Silenced men


They lost six men to the shots, but passed morale, healing one with Iron resolve...


BOARD AT END OF TURN 1

Okay, so Greg wasn't for splitting but I was a bit spread out and worried I'd over committed with the Sand Skirmishers, as the Silenced Men healed up from Drowned Men order, and also leaving the Dervishes at the rear...


TURN 2

Well, Greg activated first and opted to use Nute's Silenced Men. We'd both said no start of turns and Greg cocked up. As he activated the Silenced men I hit them with Rising Temperatures. His whole plan for Moqorro was to stop this with his Rhlor's magic, so rather than play Rush Of Aggression to hit the spearmen, he couldnt play any cards. Miffed as he was, as I had offered a take back as both trying to learn unfamiliar armies, Greg said no, and Nute charged the Sand Skirmishers instead, and got Dune Tactics in his face, rolling his lowest attacks.


I lost  a rank, but no more...


I attacked back off of the swords, dropping a few but they passed resolve to gain a wound back before Nute used Bags to attack again, dropping me another rank. I then retreated back of of the horses and shot them, with little to no effect. I only was an inch away, so the Silenced Men couldnt pivot...


Using the Scout openings, I had my Spearmen charge into the Silenced Men flank with Precision and re-rolls, and amazingly dropped six of them, leaving Nute alone...


With Iron resolve, two pillage, and a Weirwood tree, even in the flank, Nute was passing on a 4+ taking D3-2 wounds. If you are struggling to peer at it, yeah, he rolled  3 on the 2 D6, and 3 on the wounds


And Balon had already activated this turn, so no coming straight back on!!!


With a Wendamyr shift, Greg through Ramsay's Reapers into my Sunspear Royal Guard


Opting to leave room for Victarion with the lining up, but as I had been influenced by Oberyn I lashed out doing 4 hits, all of which wounded. With no re-rolls due to the Corpse pile, I saved all but two and used my Shield wall order to negate the hits that got through, so no panic. Phew!!!


I activated back, attacking using my Martial Training for rerolls, and shifting over to allow my Dervishes a charge option.


I scored seven hits against the Harlaw Reapers


and with the Vulnerable token, all seven wounded. Ramsay took the panic on his own


Which Greg duly failed... Not a good turn for the Greyjoys!!!


I also surged forth further left, leaving the Victarion to the centre. My left spearmen marched up and took the far left objective., my Sand Skirmished the far right and with a distinct activation advantage, I waited until Greg had finished before marching my Dervishes up ignoring the Silenced men, as with first activation I had a plan for next round


END OF TURN 2

HOUSE MARTELL 5 VP's (2 units, 3 objectives)

HOUSE GREYJOY 1 VP ( 1 objective)


TURN 3

Areo Hotah and the Dervishes charged in against the Drowned Men as first activation. So +3 hits on the attack, vulnerable, Precision and Critical blow!!!


That was 2 wounds and seven hits, with Greg needing at least 4 sixes on a 6+ (wit me making him re-roll successes)


It didn't happen and I surged forth up behind Victarion's Silenced Men


Greg activated Balon, placing him on the horses and brought Nute and his Silenced Men back on. I then activated my right Spearmen to face, but Nute charged in. Set for charge did nothing and I dropped 10 men in one fell swoop!!!


After healing the Sand Skirmishers from the bags Victarion, turned his flanks to face both my Royal Guard and Dervishes. But I had my Royal Sunspear Guard activate and secure the near left objective, as felt the right side was no longer secure. Even had I hit both flanks, I wasn't sure I could take Victarion.


Nute attacked off of the swords, playing Finger Dance just in case!!!


It wasnt needed, and they surged up to take the objective


I used both my orders on the Sand Skirmishers, who dropped three of Nute's Silenced Men.

BOARD AT END OF TURN 3

I kept the Dervishes in Victarion's flank to keep him in line (if he had charged one of my left units, I would simply seize the centre


END OF TURN 3

HOUSE MARTELL 8 VP's (3 units, 6 objectives) 
(Forgot to add Drowned Men)

HOUSE GREYJOY 3 VP's (1 unit, 2 objectives)



TURN 4

Greg activated Nute and his Silenced Men charged in, using Rush of Aggression to ensure they did.


Nine hits due to critical blow 


I save five, but had to re-roll due to vulnerable token...


Sadly, came up one short...


But rather than surge forth onto the objective they set themselves up for an Assault Orders charge next activation, that hit hard but didn't kill the Dervishes. They rolled a six to retreat, and did so. Next activation they healed, then shifted from the spearmen's order, positioning themselves to be the Silenced Men's target or if they weren't where they had options to take the centre or flank the Silenced Men


Greg decided to try and take out my stand in Battle Commander


But the Woods helped my defence and I just needed to avoid "doing a Greg" on the panic
(Moqorro had brought back Ramsay so I could lose four men if I failed). I survived, just, with a reroll thanks to Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken, losing two.


So Greg Crown zapped me!!!


I survived by passing, thanks to a second Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken


I had simply objective sat on the left, but given how bad Turn 2 was for Greg, the board at the End of the Turn certainly looked better than at end of Turn 2.

BOARD AT END OF TURN 4 (& Game)

HOUSE MARTELL 10 VP's (3 units, 8 objectives)

HOUSE GREYJOY 3 VP's (2 Units, 2 objectives)

We need to work on our basic arithmetic...


That was a good game for me in terms of getting my orders and tactics right. Not so for Greg, in one simple respect, as by forgetting to use Moqorro Turn 2, it simply did for Nute. Sure my flank attack was just pure luck on my part (or bad dice on Greg's).  Then Ramsay and the Reapers came a part. After killing the Drowned Men, Victarion was left alone, and things looked grim. But Nute came back from the dead with Balon and went absolutely mental, chewing threw my right and NEARLY getting my commander!!! If Greg had done that turn 2, it would have been a very different battle report...

OTHER UK EVENTS

            


LEODIS GAMES

26th NOVEMBER

BATTLE IN THE CRIMSON SNOW


________________________________________________________________________

SIEGE OF WINTERFELL


26th November, ENTOYMENT GAMING, POOLE DORSET

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIBBLE RUMBLE 
(My event)

MORE PLACES MADE AVAILABLE

ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT

DECEMBER 2nd/3rd 2023

3 Games Saturday, 2 Sunday 2.25hrs each game. Nice chilled lists appreciated, newcomers welcome.

---------------------------------------------------

THE WATCHERS ON THE WALL


Sunday 3rd December 2023, 16 players

Kingdom Gaming, The Ridings, Northampton, UK


-------------------------------------------------------

2024


THE SEVEN KINGDOMS

EVENT PAGE on Stats

20th January 2024, 32 players

Board In Brum West Midlands Gaming Centre, Walsall, Willenhall, UK


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE WELSH GT 2024


-------------------------------------

Gunman Airsoft - Eversley Alpha, The Welsh Drive, Eversley, Hook, UK


No comments:

Post a Comment