Friday 1 December 2023

The Legend that is Lee Parkin: Three Epic ASOIF battle reports

Following on from the Leeds event, I though it would be a nice tribute to honour the winner of the event, a Dead Meta Mega Star  and all round good guy on the UK ASOIF community, Lee "Squig" Parkin.

So I thought I'd share some of the Battle reports I've had against the wee fella...

Please note, some of these reports use language, rules and camera's from bygone era's, and may cause offence to those who get easily offended!!!

GAME 1 

RIBBLE RUMBLE 2021

Lee's Free Folk consisted of Tormund (C) in Spearwives, 2 Giants and 2 Mammoths against my Asha list in Fire & Blood. His NCU's were Craster and Styr...

My own was Greyjoy Trappers with Asha (C) and Qarl, 2 x Harlaw Reapers,2 x Ironborn Bowmen, Ironmakers

NCU's: Wendamyr & Erik 


I marked the spearwives and the left giant while Lee did my right side bowmen and Reapers



This had the feeling it would be quick and bloody...


Oh, and Lee kindly pointed out that we had to use random terrain. Apparently, when you organise a tournament and its your rule pack (allegedly), you are supposed to know that...


TURN 1

Well, things moved quickly enough with my Reapers making a charge into a Mammoth, taking 50% of its wounds and and causing it to run away... Unfortunately, it's big brother was upset by this and came steaming in dropping me to three reapers...



Angry big bugger!!!



Still, both the Vicious giant failed his charge and the other one on my right...



Tactics board end of Turn 1



Activating of the swords, Tormund and his girls charged home and really hurt the Reapers on my left...



The dice were at it again!!!



Morale of 6...



On the right, well, Nelly went trump, trump, trump...



And I didnt see any point in trying to keep them alive...



As I had Tormund to kill ( I had also healed up the Reapers well)



Oh thats is so sweet to see with my Ironmakers and their critical blow!!!



9 hits in the flank, and Lee saw Tormund and his Spearwives pop...



The vicious giant charged the bowmen...



Aw, you couldn't make it up with my dice!!! Crazy...



Shooting the other mammoth caused no wounds from the 4 hits as Lee saved them all...



And my left bowmen couldnt hurt the other big guy either...



Asha flanked the vicious giant for 3 wounds. It was looking good!!!



First activation next turn, and the Free Folk spread out...



 End of Turn 2

Greyjoys 2 VP's

Free Folk 2 VP's



Sure enough, critical blow in the rear by activating the Ironmakers...


Wow... One big dead giant!!!


Still, Lee's activation was horses to summon some Spearwives with endless horde...


Seeing how far they were away, I didnt feel threatened and activated off swords for something and Lee used Tormunds card to roll a 6... Rookie error!!!


The Reapers were reaped, Craster healed the mammoth 2 wounds


I crowned the beast but it wouldnt run away


And suddenly from being close and supporting one another, I was all over the place and badly surrounded!!!


END OF TURN 3

FREE FOLK 6 VP's

GREYJOY 5 VP's


Behind me, we see Nigel being hemmed in by Adam's Lannisters...


Meanwhile, I was passing morale with Asha


And raining arrows on the big hairy elephants...


I charged in with Asha and the trappers against the Mammoth in it front


Getting warcry off too


It was left on 2 wounds, but again, it's big brother went mental and steamed into my rear!!! Tag teamed by Mammoths was never gonna be fun!!!


The attacks dropped me to 4 models...



Yeah. 'nuf said!!! That dropped Qrl and his auto wound off board, leaving Asha to entertain two Mammoths on her own!!!


The wounded beast killed Asha, and surged forth away from the Ironmakers, who made a 4+ charge to get to it. It was worth the risk as they really struck home...


I mean I had to only do two wounds so the big guy bit the dust...


End of TURN 4

8 VP's EACH


TURN 5

Well, it was close on VP's but the Endless horde card brought in some Raiders and I was going to be sorely tested to avoid being overwhelmed


As the Free Folk closed in...


Flanked by spearwives, Raiders to the rear and a giant swinging its club meant the Ironmakers crumpled fairly quickly giving  Lee a deserved win


END OF GAME

FREE FOLK 9 VP's

GREYJOY's 8 VPS

That was class, really fun game to play and a classic example of over confidence. I had my forces nice and tight and ready to pick off a wounded Mammoth and a giant and mammoth. Then Spearwives showed up and charged my Reapers and I was ripe for plucking... Great play from Lee, and real fun!!!

GAME 2

ELO EVENT
 LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT
 2022

LEE "SQUIG" PARKIN 

STARKS

Perfect start to the weekend, as Lee is part of the Dead Meta Crew from the North-East who are all great guys and real fun to play against. They travel all over the UK, in numbers and they just have a laugh. They were well represented at the LGT. I played Lee at last year's Ribble Rumble where his Tormund beast, heavy Free Folk trampled me underfoot...


For our Honed and Ready game, Lee ran the following list:

House Bolton Cutthroats with Robb Stark - The Wolf Lord (C)
House Mormont She-Bears with Rickon Stark - Prince of Winterfell & Osha -
House Mormont She-Bears with Mormont Veteran
Stark Sworn Swords with Mormont Veteran
Shaggydog

NCU's - Arya Stark, Catelyn Stark & Petyr Baelish

My list was

MAG THE MIGHTY!!! (C) (9 pts)
WUN WUN
FRED THE SAVAGE GIANT
"STANNISBANE" THE MAMMOTH
THE MAMMOTH WITH NO NAME

CRUSTY OL' CRASTER


TURN 1

Well, we chatted so much I forgot to take set-up picture: woods, stakes and corpse pile along the centre, with a Weirwood my bottom right. This is the board at the end of the turn


Main thing was Lee's Shaggydog, using Arya token, horses and running right around my forces...


Lee sneakily spiked the centre objective, so I had to go around. And he loved to War Cry!!!


TURN 2

More War Cries were dished out...


So I simply charged into the right side She-Bears!!!


I fluffed it, and the She-Bears used "Sudden retreat" to move away...


Before smashing into "Stannisbane", using Winter's Might to grant Sundering...


Seven hits, zero saves. Didn't even have to use the vulnerable!!! Still, it had a wound left.


Aw well... 


One Mammoth down!!!


And then surged back...


The Mammoth with no name charged the Cutthroats, doing four wounds but another Sudden
Retreat allowed Rob to run away again. I then moved up Wun Wun, while Lee wound down my actviations. Which allowed my "Chieftains Orders" to get Wun Wun to charge into Rob's flank...


Dropping Robb's unit to 5 Cutthroats, who then failed their panic check easily with flank for 3 wounds, but had 2 more added for "Monsters of the North"... (I know, disclaimer at the end of game)

 
I then played Overrun on Wun Wun but failed to hit the Sworn Swords flank...


Getting out of the way, the Sworn Swords managed a flank charge into the Mammoth with no name and did 4 wounds but it passed its panic. Shaggydog then got the scent of blood and hit it in the rear with his sundering


But I made a pair of six saves...


Then bossed the first panic check (as I was panicked from War cry)


And rocked that too, with two wounds left!!!


I healed up with Crasters once per game, then got flanked by Orsha and Rickon's She-Bears


Took a wound, passed the panic!!!


BOARD AT END OF TURN 2

The Mammoth with no name was taking the Starks on single handedly it seemed. 


END OF TURN 2

HOUSE STARK 1 VP

MAG'S MONSTERS 1 VP

TURN 3

Craster on the bags seemed a good idea...


The Mammoth with no name got to attack, as felt he was gonna go out soon, so kicked out with hind quarters at Shaggydog...


And scored six hits...


Lee's dice helped me kick Shaggydogs teeth down his throat!!!


Osha and the She Bears were too busy consoling little Rickon to make the effort of trying to take down Wolf Kicker, as Lee decided his Scottish Grand Tournament Dice didn't work so far South...


Feeling a wee bit lucky, Wolf Kicker had a break and "Shrugged off" wounds to just three...


The warm weather was still sweating the good rolls out the Northern dice, with two Sworn Sword hits...


Both of which I saved!!!


I sent the savage giant in over the stakes (taking a few wounds made him angrier) into the She Bears, scoring a giant seven wounds...


So the Sworn Swords struck out, and in an awesome display of sheer Stark martial prowess, managed to keep the dice below 3 for all seven of them...


Little Rickon ran away (can't say I blame him). Think Mag chucked a boulder at the right-side She Bears...


END OF TURN 3

HOUSE STARK 2 VP's

MAG's MONSTERS 2 VP's

TURN 4

Going first, Lee does what he does and said "Bugger it". Little Rickon, doing as his Mother told him to do (using Assault Orders off the swords) slammed into the Giant and dropped him...



Mag charged through the stakes for a more reasonable charge and killed the wee fella...


The Sworn Swords laid into Wolf Kicker and gave three more wounds. I used Defiant roar so they would be weakened...


Having had to reposition last time, in a blur of speed, Wun Wun charged


Needing a 5+, I rolled the five...


Wolf Kicker turned to face the Sword Swords, and the She Bears on the right also weren't doing much but objective sit.

END OF TURN 4

STARKS 4 VP's

FREE MONSTERS 3 VP's


TURN 5

Craster took the swords again


And Wolf Kicker struck out again after Wun Wun's War Cry!!! And they died from the panic...


Both Lee and I still don't understand how the hell he survived. He one shotted "Stannisbane"


Rather than retreat, Mag enticed the last remnants of Lee's army in and they left the Chieftain with two wounds...


And then I failed the panic check!!! As I was removing him, Lee pointed out my Chieftains Fury attack got to go off...


I got the five hits to wipe out the Starks...


END OF TURN 5 (and Game)

MAG THE MIGHTY 8 VP's

HOUSE STARK 5 VP's

Rob Stark lives on!!! Monsters from the North is supposed to trigger when an enemy unit activates!!! I used it like There's Too Many, and only realised when got start of turn cards into hand in round 5. I didn't mention it until game was over, as were having a blast. I offered to give him the win, but Lee said no, that Mammoth deserved a win (I may have just made that up) but anyway, Lee was alright about it, being my first time running Mag. I at least said we should not score it as a tabling, make it a standard victory which he was fine to do. I spoke to Carlo, who was happy if we were happy.  I did feel bad having won with such a cock-up, but I then found out that one of the other Dead Meta guys made the same error, forcing a Lannister to take -7 morale check... You know who you are!!!


But that error aside, that was an absolutely awesome start to the weekend!!! Lee, as I've said, is great. His dice were not but that didn't faze him, still kept going and having a go. Dropping my Mammoth made me think I'm gonna get leathered, but Wolf Kicker? A legend is made!!! Simply sat there and took it. Nothing else to say, other than thanks Lee, great game.


GAME 3

The Welsh GT 2023

I ran

Unsullied Swordmasters with Marselen - Mother's Men Commander (C)
Drogon
Viserion
Rhaegal

NCU's

Illyrio Mopatis, Daenerys Targaryen (Unburnt) & Pyat Pree 

LEE "SQUIG" PARKIN

BARATHEONS



Like his Stats name suggests, Lee is wee mad bouncy ball of fun (without the big teef) and such a great guy to play against, another Dead Meta Gaming stalwart and regular on the UK tourney scene. He doesn't take the game too seriously (like most of the DMG guys, and that is a mark of respect, not an intended slight) and we always have a blast. This game didn't disappoint either...

He had been running an Axell list but changed that out to Loras Tyrell as he had a plan to deal with my Dragons:


Baratheon Wardens with Loras Tyrell - The Knight of Flowers (C)
Baratheon Wardens
Highgarden Pikemen
Thorn Watch
Riders of Highgarden

NCU's
Eldon Estermont, Cortnay Penrose with Olenna Tyrell

Terrain: A couple of stakes and a hedge on the right is really all you'll see...

BARATHEONS: Wardens with Loras, Riders of Highgarden, Pikemen (marked),
Thornwatch, Wardens (marked)

TARGARYENS: Rhaegal, Swordmasters, Viserion (marked) & Drogon (marked)

TURN 1

I took the first turn and played another Devotees of the Dragon, deploying them
to the front.


We played through the tactics board leaving one NCU each, before I committed Drogon to the attack. He rolled maximum wounds, as did Lee on his panic failure. The Wardens attacked back and caused two wounds.


And yes, had it mattered I'd have failed the panic check


Dracarys from Daenerys finished off the Wardens


As Lee re-aligned his forces, and I advanced up the Highgarden Riders failed their charge...


Tactics Board End of Turn 1

HOUSE TARGARYEN 4 VP's

HOUSE BARATHEON 0 VP's


TURN 2

Lee moved the Riders of Highgarden into Drogons flank and charged,  easily killing him with 10 hits, sundering and in the flank.


The Freedmen marched up to act as a buffer for any charge from Loras or the Pikemen. I charged the Highgarden Riders with Viserion.


I caused seven wounds, but final strike and the Thornwatch firing from the swords


Lee tried a 2+ charge with the Pikemen into the Swordmasters. But rolled a one!!!


So I sent my last dragon into them, killing four. Lee brought the Thornwatch up around but they had no shots in range. And Loras and his Wardens spectacularly failed to kill the Freedmen...


END OF TURN 2

HOUSE BARATHEON 6 VP's

HOUSE TARGARYEN 4 VP's

TURN 3

I took the swords and Rhaegal wiped out the remaining pikemen. The Rider charged Rhaegal, doing seven wounds. I healed him up, but Lee used horses to retreat the Riders away. Before the Thornwatch went in on the badly wounded Dragon.


With 4 wounds taken, I needed to make five 5+ saves. Close, but no cigar. All three dragons dead, and all involved the "Dragonslayers", Lee's dastardly Riders of Highgarden!!!


I charged the Wardens with Loras in them with Marselen and his Unsullied, dropping four of them.


When they attacked back, they targetted the Freedmen killing them and healing the Wardens with "Growing Strong"


BOARD AT END OF TURN 3


END OF TURN 3

HOUSE TARGARYEN 7 VP's 

HOSUE BARATHEON 7 VP's

TURN 4

Lee went with the Dragonslayers into the flank but they didn't roll well and I saved a few on 5+ due to Marselens . Unfaltering Conviction and the 4 tokens he had. I healed off the bags...


Lee then took the swords and Loras assassinated Marselen, meaning I lost all his benefits...


The Swordmasters unleashed their fury on the Dragonslayers


And accumulated all the tokens as a result


BOARD END OF TURN 4


TACTICS BOARD END OF TURN 4


END OF TURN 4

HOUSE TARGARYEN 7 VP's

HOUSE BARATHEONS 7 VP's

TURN 5

I went first taking the Swords and killing the Riders of Highgarden. I then hoped to hold on and retreat away but Lee had other idea's and activated the Thornwatch who downed four of the Unsullied before the last two died from the panic check...


END OF TURN 5 (& GAME)

HOUSE BARATHEON 8 VP's

HOUSE TARGARYEN 8 VP's

Aaaargh, he did me good there!!! Not allowing me to manouver at will by corner camping, and then taking my Dragons down one at a time, yeah, Lee played a blinder... He went on and tabled his fourth opponent too, so he is no longer Squig. He is SUPER SQUIG!!! Cracking game and the death of Marselen scuppered my plan to sneak a win at the end...


3 Great Games, a win, a loss and a draw apiece! 
We will meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment