Friday 18 March 2022

Free Folk Fun Fest battle report: Rattleshirt v Tormund

 So after many moons of running Mance, I felt co-erced into trying something different for Free Folk and decided to give The Lord of Bones a run out, as i have three units of his followers. Also, having arranged a game against Greg for the first time this year, he'd be running Tormund as the old adversaries matched up for A Dance with Dragons

My Bone Lords Chosen with Rattleshirt and his Bone throne

We both picked fairly fluffy lists in the grand scheme of things, not the best units. 

My force consisted of:

• Bonelord's Chosen with Rattleshirt - The Lord of Bones (C) • Followers of Bone with Raid Leader • Followers of Bone • Spearwives with The Weeper - Cruel Tyrant • Free Folk Raiders with Raid Leader • Free Folk Trappers NCU's: Craster & Mance Rayder

Greg went with fewer units but the extra NCU

• Thenn Warriors with Tormund Giantsbane - Thunderfist • Free Folk Trappers • Frozen Shore Bear Riders • Spearwives with Walrus Clan Chieftain • Frozen Shore Chariots NCU's:Ygritte, Lady Val & Mance Rayder

Terrain: Corpse pile centre left with bog opposite, centre right wall and PALISADE far right


Greg set up left to right with Thenns, Bear riders, Trappers, Spearwives and Chariot


I set up, again left to right, with Followers of Bone (raid leader), Spearwives (weeper), Bonelords Chosen, Trappers, Raiders and Followers of One 


Only real note first turn other than moving up was Craster crown zapping Gregs Spearwives


And an ominous roll for Greg... Better to get it out early I feel


End of Turn 1 tactics board


Battlefield end of Turn 1


                                               The armies advance almost uniformly...


TURN 2

Val swaps out swords and moves trappers back...


I used Raiders to destroy Palisade after thinking it was stakes again!!!


Ygritte takes crown and hits my Raiders


who lose a rank...


Still, having healed them off bags, Greg then took bags to get in spear toss range with his Spearwives. I used surrounded and exposed to give the ladies panicked and weakened. 


I then shot 3 with Trappers, allowing me to use There's Too Many...


To good effect as he was in range of 3 units


Greg got 3 hits with spear toss, but I, err saved them all...


And in the charge suffered 1 wound, losing 3 to the panic though...


I used regroup and reform to recover...


And sent in the Followers of Bone to kill three spearwives...


Greg through the chariot in to the Raiders, rolling a 1 so no re-rolls...


But it still hurt badly...


So the right side of the board was pretty much done for the turn, so attention swung to my left flank...


The tactics board was full up...


So Greg got the Bears moving...


Charging into the Followers of Bone with Raid Leader, who survived stoically...


The Thenns charged the Spearwives with "devastating impact", as I had taken centre objective with the Bone Lords Chosen...


I managed a few saves from the Thenns...


END OF TURN 2

THE LORD OF BONES - 2 VP's

TORMUND GIANTSBANE - 0 VP's

TURN 3

Mance took the swords first turn...


And beat up the Spearwives, who died due to There's Too Many resulting in a failed check...


Greg had his Mance on the horses to retreat the chariot away


Leaving me secure on the right flank...


Rattleshirt and his chosen charged the trappers...


I hit a half dozen times...


And greatly diminished the Trappers...


The Thenn's savaged my own Spearwives with There's Too Many but they hung on, barely... 


Overview of the board mid turn...


The Raiders made a 4+ charge


Scoring 5 hits and Greg saved one...


The chariot retreated away with Swift retreat. with two wounds left. The Trappers did the same off the horses zone.


I brought my Trappers up to support


When Greg's trappers activated, my Trappers hit them for 2 wounds but they still shot up the Bone Lords Chosen and they failed the panic, dropping the objective...


That was most unfortunate!!!


And the Bear riders passed their Horrific visage test


First time, as I had a panic token on them


So they did drop a bear...


END OF TURN 3

RATTLESHIRT 4 VP's

TORMUND 0 VP's


TURN 4

Greg took the horses for Endless Hordes to bring on his Spearwives. I didn't think my Chosen would stand against them by taking the objective, so they charged the Trappers and wiped them out, surging forth away from them...


They may struggle to survive...


Tormund's Thenn's killed the Weeper and spearwives unit...


My Followers attacked the bears, badly, and then suffered a Counter Assault


And died due to There's Too Many...


I placed Craster on the crown, targeting the chariot


And Greg duly obliged by failing his test and suffering his last two wounds...


The freed up Bears charged the rear of the Lord of Bones, killing the unit


Board at End of Turn 4


END OF TURN 4

THE LATE LORD OF BONES  7 VP's

THE GINGER GIANTSBANE  5 VP's


TURN 5

I took horses for Endless Hordes, bringing on Spearwives to threaten the Thenns rear...


I opted to charge the Bears but failed


With everything moving away from me, I had Craster take crown again...


And the Bears failed again, dropping the objective and going to 2 wounds...


The game was finely balanced going into the last turn, with the Thenns and Bears facing my spearwives while Greg's faced off against my Trappers...


End of TURN 5

THE LORD OF BONES 8 VP's

TORMUND GIANSTBANE 6 VP's



TURN 6

Greg activated off the swords to get the spearwives into range


dropping two Trappers with spear toss before charging home and wiping them out...


I activated my Spearwives, intending to toss at the Bears and wipe them out. But Greg used the Thenn's taunt ability, meaning I had to roll 11+ or charge the Thenns instead...So I simply rolled the requisite 11 being a lucky SoaB!!! 


Alas, I had a panic token that was expended and I couldn't do it twice so charged into the Thenns. I did six hits mind...


Greg then took the crown to avoid me zapping one of his units...


As the wounded last bear mauled the Spearwives...


That was the last action as the battle petered out and night fell...


END OF TURN 6 (& GAME)

TORMUND GIANTSBANE FREEFOLK  10 VP's

RATTLESHIRT FREEFOLK                       9 VP's



Awww man, what a battle!!! Definitely a game of two halves, with my right flank crushing Greg's left over the first 3 turns before his right did my left over the last 3.  It certainly swung massively mid game, and really could have went either way. Crown worked well dropping token off the bears and killing the chariot. I literally battered my way down the right and it was looking good midway but  Greg didn't give up and turned game on his head, coming from 5-0 down at one time. Great game!!! Taunt from the Thenn's won the game right at the death, really came down to that. And well deserved win for Greg...

Charity Appeal

Kieran "Scaddman" Scaddan is holding a 24hr sponsored wargame of ASOIF in aid of Veterans

mental Health charity on 28th/29th May.

Link to his Justgiving page is HERE

EVENTS IN UK

Kieran's 24 hour Sponsored Event at Imjin barracks  28th/29th May

24 player event at Gaming Figures on Sunday 10th April in Redcar, UK The Caswell Cup

The 128 player UK London Grand Tournament (ELO) 30th September Link

16 Player event at the RIBBLE RUMBLE, ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT, UK LINK





















































No comments:

Post a Comment