Tuesday 4 October 2022

THE LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT: PART 1 (Friday ELO)

The largest A Song of Ice and Fire event EVER IN THE WORLD took place at the London Grand Tournament on the weekend of the 30th Sept - 2nd Oct in the UK. 

Like all good stories, this epic tale will be written as a trilogy, chronicling the adventures of four friends from the North-West of the land on a long and perilous journey on a mission for the forces of good. Ok, so it's mostly about me, but I like the comparison, especially given the monstrous beasts and dodgy characters we meet along the way. So representing Liverpool's "Wardens of the North-West" we had Greg "Greggers", Aden "Spykr", Steve "Psychoste" and myself "Bannockburn" all headed down early on the Friday morning (earlier than planned as Ste was starting early for his event).

Part 1 will incorporate the Friday, which mentions briefly the "Invitational", a 4 game knock out for 16 top players who had won larger events and were attending, with our very own PsychoSte getting the 16th invite, so the rest of us got him a T-shirt to commemorate it...

For the rest of us, the mere mortals, we had 3 games at the "ELO event" (the less good your commander is, well it increases your points for winning). I simply took Mag the Mighty as commander as I'd just painted him and never used him. My force could also fit in a wee box...

It was an icebreaker, a social event and a night socializing followed, quieter than expected but everyone had been up early travelling.

Ste, Me, Aden and Greg




Ste's first game using his Starks was against JahSper,  with a Drogon Targaryen list, in Honed and Ready


Steve and his special pre-event T-shirt!!!


Someway into the game, Ste turned into an "All American Jock" (Not the proper Scottish type). Too much Sunday Slaughter viewing I think!!!


But we had our own event to attend, so we left him to it. Steve managed a 10-10 draw in game one winning on points on table, then lost 11-10 v Freefolk (against Jacob who made it to the final), lost his third to Nights Watch, and won his fourth v Freefolk. He did well, coming 7th of the 16, so top half of the creme de la creme...

THE ELO EVENT

So while all the serious(ly) good players were concentrating and frowning, the rest of us that had got the Friday off work set about playing in the ELO event. Still don't know what it's an abbreviation for, or how it all works in fine detail (though I know it means less statistically good commanders get more points for you if you win, and the better ones net you fewer, which I suppose is all the detail you really need)

So I thought I'd try out a new Free Folk commander for me, albeit without any Free Folk, as below. I didn't actually expect to win any of my three games given a 6 activation Free Folk list, that I've never even used so didn't know all the cards etc.. But felt running double Mance for main event, had to go a bit fluffy for the fun one...

MAG THE MIGHTY!!! (C)
WUN WUN
FRED THE SAVAGE GIANT
"STANNISBANE" THE MAMMOTH
THE MAMMOTH WITH NO NAME

CRUSTY OL' CRASTER


And in true epic trilogy comparison, who is the first jolly fellow they meet...


GAME 1

LEE PARKIN "SQUIG" 
STARKS

Perfect start to the weekend, as Lee is part of the Dead Meta Crew from the North-East who are all great guys and real fun to play against. They travel all over the UK, in numbers and they just have a laugh. They were well represented at the LGT. I played Lee at last year's Ribble Rumble where his Tormund beast, heavy Free Folk trampled me underfoot...


For our Honed and Ready game, Lee ran the following list:

House Bolton Cutthroats with Robb Stark - The Wolf Lord (C) House Mormont She-Bears with Rickon Stark - Prince of Winterfell & Osha - Spearwife Guardian House Mormont She-Bears with Mormont Veteran Stark Sworn Swords with Mormont Veteran Shaggydog NCU's - Arya Stark, Catelyn Stark & Petyr Baelish

TURN 1

Well, we chatted so much I forgot to take set-up picture: woods, stakes and corpse pile along the centre, with a Weirwood my bottom right. This is the board at the end of the turn


Main thing was Lee's Shaggydog, using Arya token, horses and running right around my forces...


Lee sneakily spiked the centre objective, so I had to go around. And he loved to War Cry!!!


TURN 2

More War Cries were dished out...


So I simply charged into the right side She-Bears!!!


I fluffed it, and the She-Bears used "Sudden retreat" to move away...


Before smashing into "Stannisbane", using Winter's Might to grant Sundering...


Seven hits, zero saves. Didn't even have to use the vulnerable!!! Still, it had a wound left.


Aw well... 


One Mammoth down!!!


And then surged back...


The Mammoth with no name charged the Cutthroats, doing four wounds but another Sudden
Retreat allowed Rob to run away again. I then moved up Wun Wun, while Lee wound down my actviations. Which allowed my "Chieftains Orders" to get Wun Wun to charge into Rob's flank...


Dropping Robb's unit to 5 Cutthroats, who then failed their panic check easily with flank for 3 wounds, but had 2 more added for "Monsters of the North"... (I know, disclaimer at the end of game)

 
I then played Overrun on Wun Wun but failed to hit the Sworn Swords flank...


Getting out of the way, the Sworn Swords managed a flank charge into the Mammoth with no name and did 4 wounds but it passed its panic. Shaggydog then got the scent of blood and hit it in the rear with his sundering


But I made a pair of six saves...


Then bossed the first panic check (as I was panicked from War cry)


And rocked that too, with two wounds left!!!


I healed up with Crasters once per game, then got flanked by Orsha and Rickon's She-Bears


Took a wound, passed the panic!!!


BOARD AT END OF TURN 2

The Mammoth with no name was taking the Starks on single handedly it seemed. 


END OF TURN 2

HOUSE STARK 1 VP

MAG'S MONSTERS 1 VP

TURN 3

Craster on the bags seemed a good idea...


The Mammoth with no name got to attack, as felt he was gonna go out soon, so kicked out with hind quarters at Shaggydog...


And scored six hits...


Lee's dice helped me kick Shaggydogs teeth down his throat!!!


Osha and the She Bears were too busy consoling little Rickon to make the effort of trying to take down Wolf Kicker, as Lee decided his Scottish Grand Tournament Dice didn't work so far South...


Feeling a wee bit lucky, Wolf Kicker had a break and "Shrugged off" wounds to just three...


The warm weather was still sweating the good rolls out the Northern dice, with two Sworn Sword hits...


Both of which I saved!!!


I sent the savage giant in over the stakes (taking a few wounds made him angrier) into the She Bears, scoring a giant seven wounds...


So the Sworn Swords struck out, and in an awesome display of sheer Stark martial prowess, managed to keep the dice below 3 for all seven of them...


Little Rickon ran away (can't say I blame him). Think Mag chucked a boulder at the right-side She Bears...


END OF TURN 3

HOUSE STARK 2 VP's

MAG's MONSTERS 2 VP's

TURN 4

Going first, Lee does what he does and said "Bugger it". Little Rickon, doing as his Mother told him to do (using Assault Orders off the swords) slammed into the Giant and dropped him...



Mag charged through the stakes for a more reasonable charge and killed the wee fella...


The Sworn Swords laid into Wolf Kicker and gave three more wounds. I used Defiant roar so they would be weakened...


Having had to reposition last time, in a blur of speed, Wun Wun charged


Needing a 5+, I rolled the five...


Wolf Kicker turned to face the Sword Swords, and the She Bears on the right also weren't doing much but objective sit.

END OF TURN 4

STARKS 4 VP's

FREE MONSTERS 3 VP's


TURN 5

Craster took the swords again


And Wolf Kicker struck out again after Wun Wun's War Cry!!! And they died from the panic...


Both Lee and I still don't understand how the hell he survived. He one shotted "Stannisbane"


Rather than retreat, Mag enticed the last remnants of Lee's army in and they left the Chieftain with two wounds...


And then I failed the panic check!!! As I was removing him, Lee pointed out my Chieftains Fury attack got to go off...


I got the five hits to wipe out the Starks...


END OF TURN 5 (and Game)

MAG THE MIGHTY 8 VP's

HOUSE STARK 5 VP's

Rob Stark lives on!!! Monsters from the North is supposed to trigger when an enemy unit activates!!! I used it like There's Too Many, and only realised when got start of turn cards into hand in round 5. I didn't mention it until game was over, as were having a blast. I offered to give him the win, but Lee said no, that Mammoth deserved a win (I may have just made that up) but anyway, Lee was alright about it, being my first time running Mag. I at least said we should not score it as a tabling, make it a standard victory which he was fine to do. I spoke to Carlo, who was happy if we were happy.  I did feel bad having won with such a cock-up, but I then found out that one of the other Dead Meta guys made the same error, forcing a Lannister to take -7 morale check... You know who you are!!!


But that error aside, that was an absolutely awesome start to the weekend!!! Lee, as I've said, is great. His dice were not but that didn't faze him, still kept going and having a go. Dropping my Mammoth made me think I'm gonna get leathered, but Wolf Kicker? A legend is made!!! Simply sat there and took it. Nothing else to say, other than thanks Lee, great game.

GAME 2

GREG DEANE "GREGGERS"

Hmm, come all this way and have to face Greg!!! After Lee, perfect opponent cos knew there'd be no stress. He has same attitude, just wants a laugh and a pint while chatting away. Greg and Aden are the least competitive from our group...


In fact he likes his Hazy Jane so much, he even had me be his drinks mule for the day. He also can tell his real-life mates he spent the weekend drinking down Souf!!!


Greg's force was pretty cool with Joffrey taking to the field and The Mountain cunningly concealed in some Clegane coloured Flayed Men (more on that later)

Kingsguard with Joffrey Baratheon - First of His Name (C)
House Bolton Flayed Men with Gregor Clegane - Mounted Behemoth
Lannister Guardsmen
Lannister Crossbowmen

Pycelle, The High Sparrow & Roose Bolton
 

I was only gonna run one list, so here it is again...


Scenario was Dark Wings, Dark Words. Not ideal for 6 activations and 1 NCU. Still, wasn't playing seriously


The mid-afternoon fog made the picture blurry. It is not the 3310 with Vaseline on the lens!!!
We used random terrain, and only got 3 pieces. A hedge, corpse and wall.

Lannisters deployed with Guards, Flayed Men, Kingsguard and Cossbows

FreeFolk went Wun Wun, Mammoth, Mag, Fred Savage and Mammoth



TURN 1

No real subtlety. Up and at em!!! Stannisbane took a few hits


And I used Craster to avoid taking another lot


Roose panicked Wun Wun who would have failed anyway...


I had to concentrate on the right as it was weaker and Joffrey was a treasure trove!!!


TURN 2

I threw some boulders at Joffrey and bowled out three Kingsguard...


Skittles with a King pin!!!


I managed a long range charge into the crossbows with Stannisbane


And scored a stonking ten hits with critical blow...


They lost 6 men, but passe their panic check!!!


Another long charge saw Wolf Kicker charge into the Kings Guard, who had healed up off the bags...


Awesome rolls again...


But Greg had weakened him, so it was only half as good...


And then it happened. The Mountains camouflaged in the Flayed Men. Yes, Greg had mentioned it to me on the way down. Yes, I painted the Flayed Men yellow for my own Mountain. But I still didnt realise the auto-wound beast of a man was there!!!


So Wolf Kicker got flanked, with critical blow meaning I had eight 4+ saves...


I love this guy!!! Saved 7, taking one wound


But two more from panic check. Still, he'd held ready for another Wun Wun long range charge


And I scored a 5 to make it, killing a horse. The Crossbows had retreated out off the horses and then shot Stannisbane...






A Roose panic attack was passed by Stannisbane


Twice...


When my Savage Giant charged Joffrey, I only managed to kill 2 (as they had healed up again)


And Wolf Kicker took another Kings Guard sundering attack in the face and took it quite well...


Board at End of Turn 2

MAG's MONSTERS 2 VP's

LANNISTERS 3 VP's


TURN 3 

Greg went first and took the swords, with the Flayed Men killing off Wolf Killer


So Stannisbane went mental and went to crush the crossbows... 


And Greg showed he can roll good dice too!!!


Turning to face Wun Wun, the Flayed Men attacked him after the Kingsguard had did a wound to Fred Savage


Aargh!!! Wun Wun rolled lots on ones and died!!!


Still, it freed up room for Mag to make a charge and he caused 6 wounds, leaving the Mountain alone to face the panic. He also had two extra VPs if he died cos he'd killed Wun Wun, Which he failed and died!!!


Greg had realised the danger as Mag surged up ready to flank the King!!!

Board at end of Turn 3


END OF TURN 3

MAG's MONSTERS 5 VP's

LANNISTERS 5 VP's

TURN 4 & 5

I activated Mag, flanked Joffrey and wiped them out!!! I then took a charge from the Guardsmen who scored 6 hits...


The crossbows hit the Mammoth for a few wounds


 and then got hit back losing all six to hits and panic...


Blurry pictures again as I was weighing up trying to take them out...


But in the end I opted to retreat and win with points left. Except we were on turn 5. Mammoth mistake!!!


END OF TURN 5

FREEFOLK 9 VP's

LANNISTERS 9 VP's


TURN 6

I took the bags and healed so I didn't lose anyone to panic...


I then repositioned around the board


Marching up Fred the Savage giant before the Guards activated losing Mag went in swinging... He dropped the Guardsmen down to 3 men. Greg was well chuffed!!! But the Guardsmen had to activate and I used Monsters of the North (correctly) to hit them with a 10 plus panic check they would die!!!
Greg was gutted and thought I had him!!! I told him to roll the feckin dice...


AND HE PASSED IT!!! NO!!!


So with his Guardsmen doing a single wound on Mag, Greg was still on the centre objective scoring an extra point and winnning the game!!!


UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Giant mistake on my part (and I don't mean moving my Mammoth to claim an objective. then remembering it can't. It wasn't even Wolfkicker, who had taken a lot of blows to the head in the previous game). Thinking I was a turn ahead was just crazy. But it was another truly awesome game, so swingy and damn fun. Mag took 3 pts for the Flayed Men and then 3 next activation by killing Joffrey. And a 10-9 defeat wasn't so bad... 

Ps: 3 days later, less tired, and typing this up, realise I made an even more Mammoth mistake!!! It suddenly dawns on me that 3 Guardsmen cannot claim an objective contested by a five wound Giant!!! LAME!!! We were just so caught up in teh moment niether of us realised. Still, Stats result stands and Greg will revel in this for a long time!!! Deserved win, but had great fun with them Monsters!!!

GAME  3

Dan McDonald "SpaceMonkey"
Starks

I've seen Dan around and know his painting by reputation (think Hedge knights going through a Hedge) so it was good to sit across the table from him and get to know him better. Howland Reed Starks with lots of arrows seemed a bit daunting, but I had put up a good showing in the first two games (as I hadnt been tabled) so was definitely up for sending the Beastie Boys into the bogs...



Dan's list was as below, but set up as above:

House Karstark Loyalists with Howland Reed - Lord of the Crannogs (C)
Stark Bowmen with Meera Reed - Cunning Trapper
Crannogman Trackers with Rickon Stark (Prince of Winterfell) & Osha
Shaggydog
Stark Bowmen with Crannogman Warden

Arya Stark, Petyr Baelish & Lyanna Mormont The Karstarks with Howland are magnificent...


Especially when trampled underfoot...


I deployed L to R: Wolf Kicker, Fred the Savage Giant, Mag, Stannisbane & Wun Wun


TURN's 1 & 2

Nothing subtle in my first turn movements, and Dan did try the first Turn crown attacks so prevalent on us poor wee Free Folk players. Hence the "I passed" roll shot...


I faced Ben "Panzer" Harris at an event earlier in the year when he ran a similar list and was expecting Dan to be very avoid with movement and shooty so him running up the board to meet me half way was definitely a surprise to me...


I passed something, as it had been a long day. Think it was Stannisbane after Shaggydog attacked him. (Must have heard what happened to Lee's Shaggydog in the first round and avoided Wolf Kicker)


BOARD END OF TURN 1 (I think)


Lots of little arrows protruding from my Monsters..


But panic checks were doing ok...


Wun Wun managed a long range charge into Little Rickon's Crannogmen, and dropped them toa  single rank


But I failed charges on the left while Shaggydog still had hold of Stannisbanes fur...


And the mangy mutt was givign my big guy a hard time!!!


Well, not really as my dice were doing me proud...


END OF TURN 2

STARKS 1 VP

MAG's MONSTERS 0 VP's

TURN 4

Baelish took the Horses but used the swords


For a flank shot into Wun Wun who had two wounds left...


And Wun Wun got a six and a one, one, one, which really wasnt fun!!!


But that triggered a Last of their Kind charge. 


Which I failed!!!


Oh, the shame of it...


Fred Savage giant did some damage though...


And with Wun Wun dead, Stannisbane quickly died to a flank charge from howlands and his Karstark Loyalists...


Dan has lured me in and did what Crannogs do, dancing rings around me and firing little sticks into my guys


I had used Craster to heal the hurt pride Mag felt from failing his panic check


Before Shaggydog finished of Fred Savage Giant. The Meera's lot activated and I got to use Monsters of then North (properly) which wiped them out...


Shaggydog held the centre objective and the board looked like this END OF TURN 3


END OF TURN 3

HOUSE STARK 5 VP's

MAG's MONSTERS 1 VP

TURN 4

I activated Wolf Kicker for a four up charge and made it. I even scored 8 hits with critical blow, which was nice.


And Dan's dice were  not overly kind, the remaining bowmen being wiped out


Surging forth ready to hit Howland's Carnnogs,,,


But they were just to quick for me and darted off to sieze the right objective


END OF TURN 4

STARKS 7 VP's

MAG's MONSTERS 2 VP's

TURN 5 & 6

Shaggydog had his revenge, charging in and savaging the Wolf Kicker, who fell on him...


Mag moved with Craster on the Horses, before charging into to kill Shaggydog and take the objective


Dan just stayed away, as Mag was angry and we closed out Turn 6...


END OF GAME

HOUSE STARK 9 VP's

MAG's MONSTERS 5 VP's

Well that was awesome, as despite being led on a merry dance in the bogs, we both just kept plugging away. Shaggydog went straight for the kill and did for 2 Mammoths (with a little help from some Karstarks). I fell straight into Dan's cunning plan, but it was really good fun lumbering about after them, and I did get a few long-range charges in and really hurt the lightly armoured Starks. Dan was really cool, just yapping away and it was great to have three great opponents who kind of didn't really give a toss about winning. And Mag survived again!!!

It's fair to say I didn't take the ELO overly serious, which I think was the same for the majority, as it was just a good way to get in the swing of things for the main event. I came in 41st of 48 but not overly fussed about that. Just surprised how much fun and how close the games were as I expected to get tabled in every game. A great trilogy of games in their own right!!!



UK EVENTS

I'm running, a chilled wind down after London 16 Player 2 day event 22/23rd Oct at the RIBBLE RUMBLE, ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT, UK LINK

(PLACES AVAILABLE AND MARTELLS CAN BE USED)


Sunday 6th November, Castle Gamers Starter Box Tourney, Gilead Village Hall, Heol Spencer, Coity, Bridgend, UK LINK  8 player, 30pt starter box event 


Sunday 20th November Leodis Games Leeds No details as yet, but Leeds boys will post details here... Link




1 comment:

  1. Really great read. Three exciting games to start the weekend off is perfect!

    ReplyDelete