Friday 2 December 2022

Cotter Pyke leads the Night's Watch v Dagmar Cleftjaw and his Greyjoy Raiders

 So for my fifth outing with Night's Watch in the Wardens of the North-West league, I'd be playing Greg "Greggers" who was running Greyjoys. As we had to use 8 different commanders, so I thought it would be nice to face the Ironborn with an Ironborn Commander, in the form of Cotter Pyke

Greg was running the following, elite Greyjoy list...

House Harlaw Reapers with Dagmer Cleftjaw - Master-At-Arms (C)
Silenced Men with Victarion Greyjoy - Master of the Iron Victory
Ironborn Bowmen with Bronn - The Sellsword
Hedge Knights

NCU's
Rodrik Harlaw, Aeron Greyjoy & Petyr Baelish


Dagmar in his Harlaw Reapers




Sworn Brothers with Cotter Pyke - Eastwatch Commander (C)
Shadow Tower Spearmen
Conscripts
Sworn Brothers

NCU's

Aemon, Othell Yarwyck & Donal Noye

Greg was slightly ahead of me in the league after 4 games having won one, drawn one and lost two.

FIRE & BLOOD 

SET UP and TURN 1

Greg set up with Bowmen on my left behind stakes, Silenced Men, Harlaw Reapers and Hedge Knights

I deployed with Shadow Tower Spearmen, Cotter's Brothers, and Sworn Brothers with Conscripts centrally behind. I went first and took the letters (which gave me both Shield of the Realms of men cards) and weakened the bowmen. Greg took the crown with Baelish and used horses to get the bowmen into range of my spearmen



I then took Othell on the wall to shoot up the bowmen...


Having set up 18" on, with Cotter Pyke's order I planned to get in early. Greg took the swords next and shot up the Spearmen


But I only took one wound from the shooting and I passed the morale check


I took the horses, healing up the one wound with Aemon and moving Cotter into range for a 11" charge


Cotter gets into range of both Dagmar and the Hedge Knights. Greg fired into the Spearmen again with their activation.


I bit the bullet, using Cotter Order to charge the Hedge Knights (going 50/50 so they were out of Dagmar's charge arc). I popped the Sworn Brothers order to make the Knights vulnerable and managed to wipe out a rank, healing up the D3 wounds I'd taken form Cotter's order with his fueled by slaughter ability. Greg had Dagmar move back, I moved up other Sworn brothers, Victarion's relentless allowed them to move up, my Conscripts moved up into range of my other units, the Silenced Men activated and charged Cotter's flank. Greg managed 5 hits, I saved 2 and used Shield that Guards the realm of men to re-roll and saved two more, taking one wound in total, and passed the moral check


This allowed me to use the Watcher on the Wall to move Spearmen up 2" and then activate and charge


With Reckless strike being used, I managed to score all 7 hits and killed 7 Silenced Men


Battlefield at End of TURN 1


TURN  2

Greg went first and took swords but used Baelish to heal from the bags. I then had Othell take the bags and target the bowmen again, who took several wounds and failed their panic


Greg took the letters, weakening Cotters unit, who I then activated, using the Martial Training order to make the Hedge Knights vulnerable.


I managed all 7 hits... But Greg used the weaken token ( I was saving Donal Noye's two tokens for defence)


And still managed all 7 hits on next roll


Greg failed all his saves, destroying the Hedge Knights, who having been marked twice, scored me 4 VP's


Meanwhile, the late kick off saw Ray and Aden face off, with Ray running Howland Reed Staks v Varamyr led Free Folk...


My spearmen attacked the Silenced Men again, after Greg had taken the horses to reposition Dagmar to give him two charge options.


I charged my other Sworn brothers into the Silenced Men who had healed a bit from Raiding Call from Dagmars unit, cutting them back down to two men


Dagmar charged into the spearmen, narrowly missing the stakes


But with a reduced rank, as with the Silenced Men, the Harlaw Reapers were not attacking with full effect and my Spearmen also used Shield of the Realm of men to reduce the damage


I used Supply aid to heal up the spearmen, but they lost another man from the Bowmen, who were firing with full ranks due to the objective card on them


END OF TURN 2

NIGHT'S WATCH 4 VP's

GREYJOY'S 0 VP's

BOARD at END OF TURN 2


                                                  TURN 3

 I took the swords and attacked with the spearmen as they had 8 attacks


This didn't quite kill the Silenced Men but cut down four...


Greg used Baelish on the crown but healed off the bags. I had Othell take the bags for sundering and hit with all 4 attacks against the 3 remaining Bowmen, who died. I attacked the 5 remaining Silenced men with Cotter Pyke, killing them after marking them for a VP. But Greg used What is Dead May never Die to survive


My spearmen survived a relentless attack, not even taking a wound. I then struck again at the Silenced Men with the other Sworn Brothers, again scoring hits with all attacks. Another What is Dead May never die was used


Greg was concentrating on the spearmen but were making little impact.


Healing up two more wounds didn't save the Silenced Men as the Spearmen attacked


Using Relentless Strike to make sure was probably overkill


But with two wounds and 5 vulnerable 6+ saves to make, the Silenced Men were finally "silenced" for good. One last swing from Dagmar suddenly broke through the spearmen's armour causing 5 wounds. Greg was left wondering where my dice failure was earlier!!!


END OF TURN 3 (and Game)

NIGHT'S WATCH 10 VP's

GREYJOY'S 0 VP's

It's fair to say everything went right for me and nothing went right for Greg, with my dice being awesome and my healing and defence game perfect for this scenario and match up. Greg just couldn't match my abilities with the Greyjoy's and he forgot Martial training Dagmar has. Sometimes, the game is just a bit one sided. Not sure Greg did much wrong, maybe retreat the Hedge Knights and healing them rather than leaving them against the sundering Sworn brothers. His Bowmen were simply Othelled to death but were in a good flanking position and my spearmen really lucked out on morale checks and armour saves. Still, first league win and above Greg on goal difference...

Wardens of the North-West League

No comments:

Post a Comment