Friday 28 April 2023

A Clash of Kings: Stannis Baratheon v Renly Baratheon

 Thursday night at Justplay saw my Renly led Tyrell/Baratheons take on Sophie and her Stannis R'hllor worshippers. Sophie was trying out a Stannis panic list and I felt facing his little brother would make for a fun and fluffy match up, especially with playing the Clash of  (wannabe) Kings scenario



The Forces of King Renly

Rose Knights with Renly Baratheon - The Charismatic Heir (C)
Riders of Highgarden
Champions of The Stag
Baratheon Wardens
Baratheon Wardens


NCU's
Olenna Tyrell & Margaery Tyrell
__________________________________

The Forces of King Stannis


Golden Company Swordsmen with Stannis Baratheon
The One True King (C)
R'hllor Lightbringers with Red Priestess
R'hllor Queen's Men with Bryen Farring - King's Squire
Baratheon Wardens

NCU's
Axell Florent, Roose Bolton & Melisandre

Sophie's force had some expensive units and 3 NCU's which meant I had more unit's, having opted for two wardens and 2 NCU's.

TERRAIN: Weirwood, corpse pile, corpse pile and Palisade

Sophie won the roll off and selected the side without the corpse piles she'd placed

Stannis's Deployment (L to R): Queens Men, GC Swordsmen, Lightbringers, Wardens

Renly's Deployment: Wardens, Champions of the Stag, Rose Knights, Highgarden Cavaliers, Wardens


TURN 1

I opted to take the first turn, taking the letters, weakening the Lightbringers and using Olenna to negate Melisandre. Sophie then took the bags to remove the weakened while I followed up with Margery (looks like Shyra Errol as put wrong model in my pack, sorry) on crowns


And the glorious irony as Sophie's Wardens dropped 3 men to panic...


We then moved up, with my Wardens heading to the two flanks and my cavalry giving the Lightbringers a choice of targets (as Sophie still had an open Sword and NCU). I was going to go for the flaming arrow guys with the cavalry if I got the chance...


Axell took the swords...


Scoring 5 hits, which all passed before the vulnerable was expended!!! Damn, one sneaked through...


And I had a panic check too


3 wounds caused from failing it!!! And Renly's lads lost two to the follow on...


BOARD AT END OF TURN 1


TURN 2

Sophie went first, ignoring the swords to charge Stannis into my Champions of the Stag and doing another four wounds, with timely use of the precision card, leaving me with 4 left...


This allowed Olenna to take the swords and cancel Melisandre again


But I swapped the attack for Wealth and Charisma. I had also passed the panic check when Stannis attacked, so got an extra attack dice from another Renly card


I got a charge into the Lightbringers but had crossed the corpse pile so no re-rolls.


Scoring 4 hits, killing 3...


Not particularly great...


And Sophie hit me with Baratheon Justice to make things worse


Using the horses, the Lightbringers retreated away


On the left, my Wardens bravely took the objective and were promptly pounced upon by the young Seaworth and the Queens Men.


Sophie scored all seven hits, so no counter-strike!!! Still, my armour was up to the task and I passed all my saves...


I activated the Champions of the Stags, shifted over and swung their hammers with Ours is the Fury so they hit on 2+ with sundering


Alas, they healed up from bags, while my Cavaliers were shot down to a rank and then my Rose Knights failed a 3+ charge!!! Sophie Wardens swung back to the centre while I took the right objective with mine. I had also played Oath of Duty on my Champions of Stag as figured the Cavaliers were going down!!!


END OF TURN 2

RENLY 2 VP's (2 objectives)

STANNIS 0 Vp's

TURN 3

Well, its fair to say I had options...


I charged the Cavaliers into the flank of Stannis dropped the down a few men. Sophie took the swords with Mel and panicked them to a wound before shooting them for sheer overkill! Stannis failed his panic though. I swung the Stags hammers again, dropping Stannis to two men but he passed his panic and healed. And then Sophie took the bag bringing them up to six wounds!!!


But that didnt helped as Renly swung into action, with seven hits from eight attacks, using the sundering cards and due to the failed charge, had been in the flank. Stannis was dead, killed by his brother and scoring me 3 VP's as well as taking the centre objective...


On the left, the Queens Men lost out in the melee thanks to me rolling better attacks, and better saves!!!


END OF TURN 3

RENLY BARATHEON 8 VP's (1 unit = 3 VP's, 5 objectives)

THE LATE STANNIS 1 VP (1 unit)

Sophie had moved up the Wardens, the Lightbringers had ineffectually shot my Stag knights but the death of Stannis had swung the game to Renly's faction.

TURN 4


As usual, excitement and tunnel vision got the better of me and I didn't concentrate. I activated the Champions of the Stag, moved up and successfully charged the Light Bringers. Except I couldn't fit !!! They were then shot off the Mel bomb on the swords and dropped to 3 wounds!!! Well, looked like I would pay for my stupidity!!!


On the left, my Wardens were still hitting with 5 of their 6 attacks and battering the Queens Men...


I charged the Rose knights and they battled to a draw with the Wardens while my armour on the Champiosn of the Stag allowed them to hang on with a mere single wound left at the end of the round


END OF TURN 4 (& Game)

RENLY BARATHEON 11 VP's (1 unit = 3 VP's, 8 objectives)

STANNIS BARATHEON 1 VP (1 unit)

Well, have to say it went better than I expected. I was fortunate to start with, then draw Wealth and Charisma as that kept my Champions in the fight with Stannis. Sophie went for all three objectives, and her Wardens really were out of the fight and not supporting Stannis allowing Renly to gang up at crucial juncture. Stopping Mel first two turns also helped as I wasn't passing many morale checks early on. The left side Wardens were my best unit, holding the Queens Men's charge without loss, then beating them down. that melee was all about one sided dice, as i hit with all bar one attack each round, and didn't fail an armour save. Sophie is gonna get Stannis some cavalry...

UPCOMING TOURNAMENTS (WORLDWIDE)

ASOIF STATS TOURNAMENTS


UK EVENTS


THE DEAD META LADS ARE RUNNING THIS IN MAY

(and I still havent decided between Freefolk, Baratheons or Neutrals)



IT'S BOUND TO BE A BARREL OF LAUGHS...

Paul Whitehead and Thomas Whitworth are running a cracking looking 50pt one dayer over a Leodis Games in Leeds on June 4th 
(YES, 50 POINTS)



I missed the CYMRU GT last year but is allegedly on a par socially with Scotland, so Greg and I are going.





And there are The Circuit Events run by ASOIF Stats and Carlo should be well supported.

The three events are as follows:

London Open – April 15TH/16TH
Birmingham GT – May 27TH/28TH
Leeds GT August 5TH/6TH

You can find a joint rules pack – including information on how to purchase a ticket - for the events here:




THE LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT

Saturday 30th September & Sunday 1st October

Paul Winter has taken over running this event and its the biggest one!!!




I WILL BE RUNNING THE RIBBLE RUMBLE AGAIN THIS YEAR BUT IT'S GOING TO BE 
DECEMBER 2nd/3rd 2023



No comments:

Post a Comment