Saturday 1 August 2020

Targaryens v Starks, 40pts A Game of Thrones

Fresh from battling Wildlings last time out, Khal Drogo faced off against Robb Stark down at Justplay in Liverpool. Glad to see a lot more gaming going on in the store!!! https://justplaygames.uk/

Colin Deane was  my opponent, running a tidy Stark force against my Stormcrow heavy Targaryen's, while Greg introduced Steve and Mitch to the game with a 30pt demo. We rolled for scenario, with A Game of Thrones coming up.

And I finally got my hands on some of Carl Black's amazing dice trays. Its an epic saga of Covid disruption, with cancelled holidays, accommodating Aunts, desk clerk deliveries and Customs coin counting, but it was well worth the wait for the order...



Colin's Stark Force consisted of the following, set up left to right:

Summer, Outriders, Umber Berserkers with Bran and Hodor, Stark Sworn swords with Rob Stark, Greywind and Tully Cavaliers. NCU's were Lords Varys, Sansa and Arya


My Targaryens were set up as below left to right:

Khal Drogo leading  Dothraki Veterans, Stormcrow archers with Lt, Stormcrow Mercenaries with Belwas, Stormcrow Mercenaries with Lt, Dothraki Screamers. Illyrio and Xhan Xaro Daxos were my two NCU's

I deployed a cenral palisade and Weirwood tree, while Colin put a spiked fence and bog in my half

Two objectives in my half were cause a panic check on enemy (on the bog) and gain extra tactics card (near Weirwood). On Colins half, near Summer, heal D3 wounds, near Greywind, weaken and vulnerable.



TURN 1

I decided to go first in turn 2, so Colin took the Letters with Varys while I took the horses to advance up my right Stormcrow Mercs. Both Wolves took their respective objectives, while my Stormcrows on my right took theirs and gave me a decent starter hand of cards. The Umbers marched straight down the centre, as my cavalry units marched up my wings...


Khal Drogo would be spoilt for choices next turn, but Colin held his Outriders back to counter whatever I was planning...


The Cavaliers also plodded slowly up, not wanting to lose the chance to charge...


Tactics board filled up quickly...


TURN 2

I activated Xhan Xaro Daxos first, and Varys failed to stop his ability. But I didnt take the bags, I took the swords...


which allowed the Veterans under Drogo to charge home, as well as bringing Addrivat! into play on the Umbers, who were vulnerable and suffered a devastating impact charge. HODOR cried out his once per game ability...


which coupled with the weakened token from round 1 meant my awesome charge plans were thwarted and a bit of a damp squib... Although Blood of the Dragon was played too, my favourite Targaryen card!!!


Colin retaliated with his outriders flanking my Veterans but they only managed 4 wounds.


before Swiftly retreating and doing an additional wound. I then activated the Veterans...


who rolled well


but the weakened token (recived fromt eh Outriders flank attack giving them bushwhack) again reduced my hits...



Having had Varys heal the Umbers back to 6 men, I activated Illyrio to use his  Boon ability which Varys again failed to prevent...


I'd also been weakened again when Colin took the letters...


The Umbers were reduced down to Hodor, who then went "berzerk" and attacked back, reducing the Veterans to Drogo alone. Colin had used Direwolf's fervour  and with Sansa three times to ensure the Berzerkers survived...


My Stormcrow archers rolled rather dismally, and only caused 1 wound on the outriders...


Colin attempted to seize the initiative with a 50/50 change of charging home with his Cavaliers...


Sadly, he rolled a 1.


And the Screamers swerved them, lined up a charge on Greywind and succeeded in wiping him out and claiming the objective...


And giving Robb a problem...


Arya claimed the Crown...


The Stormcrow archers losing three men to the panic...


Summer stayed put, Robb retreated away and turned to face the Screamers and Belwas led his Mercenaries up to take the centre objective, while the right side Mercs stayed put on the objective...


 On the right as the battle raged, the Screamers were a concern for Colin...


The Battle between Hodor and Drogo occupied the centre, but with Hodor likely to be the first activation, I was concerned...


After tallying up the objective points, at the End of Turn 2...

HOUSE TARGARYEN 6 VP's         HOUSE STARK 1 VP


I lost 4 men from Belwas on holding the objective, due to the -2 panic check while Hodor's Berzerkers healed 3 wounds form Summer objective but were made vulnerable and weakened by the Screamers claimed objective...


TURN 3

Varys took the swords, triggering the Umbers...


Colin's dice were poor,  with the weakened scoring 5 hits and despite their sundering, I managed 4 saves on 5+ and passed the morale. Colin then played hit and run to give me weakened as his Umbers disengaged...


I successfully charged and with my 5 attacks, despite weakened, I manage 4 wounds (thanks to the vulnerable) and Drogo swept forward to join in a Dothraki sandwich, with Robb in the middle...


Arya took the bags to deny it to me...


In response, charged the Screamers into the rear of the Cavaliers, who took 7 wounds, 4 from melee and 3 from a failed morale check...


The Cavaliers then activated, Coling playing tactical regroup to heal 2 wounds, retreat away, turn and then charge home, scoring 11 hits and wounds. I then failed the morale check for a resounding defeat on my right flank, with the Tully's turning and advancing up on my Mercenaries...


On the centre objective, the Outriders again successfully bushwacked, this time Belwas and his Stormcrows being the recipients...


They were wiped out, and the Stark cavalry advanced onto the objective..


On the tactics board, I'd claimed the horses to move Drogo up away from Robb and threaten Summer


End of Turn 3 state of play...

On my left, with Robb chasing, Drogo was closing in on Summer...


But my Stormcrow archers flank was exposed...


And my Stormcrow Mercenaries were not fancying this match up. on my right,..


END of TURN 3

House Targaryen 9 VPs  House Stark 6 VPs



Activating first, I was interrupted by Arya the Wolf girl using her once per game and moving Summer away from Drogo... It didnt deter me, and the Khal activated and made the charge, wiping out Summer and allowing me to drop back onto the objective...

But that was the high point of the round!!! The Cavaliers stromed through the Stormcrows and swept onto towards the archers.  The archers reduced the Ouriders down a rank


But with the Cavaliers charging  using Sudden Charge, making the flank of my archers but losing a rank due to the spikes...




That helped my archers survive the impact.


 and amazingly they rolled the 9+ to pass the panic check...


That was shortlived, as the two Outriders smashed them down then retreated back onto the centre objective...


The outcome of the battle hinged on Colin getting Robb to successfully charge home on a 3+



which he duly did...


With 2 wounds left and facing a whole horde of Northern warriors, the Kahl was sorely pressed...


Eight saves were required!!!


Not even close...


END OF TURN 4

HOUSE TARGARYEN 10 VP's   HOUSE STARK 12 VP's


Well that was pretty awesome and a lot closer than the end picture below suggests. Colin had some bad luck early game and I got some nice card combos in early. Varys failed 3 times to neuter my NCU's, which was nice to see and rather ironic. The Tully failed charge gave me a great opening for the Screamers which I grasped and should really have exploited better by avoiding combat and threatening Robb. As it was, I felt pinning the Cavaliers was too good an opportunity but it backfired horribly and Colin then rolled right through the Stormcrows with them to give him a well deserved win. Been a while since I have faced Starks, and really like the Outriders Bushwhack. Despite the Cavaliers success, the Outriders were real heroes for Colin. Robb did nothing except spin on spot for two turns, though he did get the final word on Drogo at the end.

It was a really great game, and bloody from the off.


Meanwhile, Steve and Mitch were down with Greg running a 30pt demo game for them


Steve took Starks and Mithc the Lannisters...


Great to see more players in the area, and a big thanks to Justplay for accommodating us and starting to stock the game...




No comments:

Post a Comment