Sunday 19 September 2021

Conquest: Dweghom v One Hundred Kingdoms


Chris and  I got together to run a 1000pt battle in preparation for some upcoming demonstration games we'll be running. 


Warfare 2021,  Ascot Race Course UK 

Beachhead Show, Bournemouth 2022

We figured 2000pts was too much, so tried 1000pt list. I was tinkering a lot with the new rules, so opted to make the whole force veterans

My 100 Kingdoms force was as follows:

Noble lord (mounted) with 4 stands of Household Knights (Standard & leader)
3 stands of Men-at-Arms (Standard & leader)
Imperial officer with 6 stands of Steel Legion (Standard & leader)
3 stands of Mercenary Crossbowmen


Noble lord (mounted) and Household Knights (Standard & leader)

 Men-at-Arms (Standard & leader) and Mercenary Crossbowmen

Imperial officer with 6 stands of Steel Legion (Standard & leader)

Chris was running a more vanilla army list:

Hold Raegh with 4 stands of Hold Thanes
3 Stands of Dragonslayers
Tempered Sorcerer with 3 stands of Hold Ballistae
5 stands of Hold Warriors

Hold Ballistae

We set up the board as below, with 2 VP's for each objective controlled on teh flanks and 1 VP in the centre. The house was too small to garrison...


Turn 1 & 2

No units managed to come on in Turn 1, so turn 2 resulted in a pair of units each. I marched the crossbowmen up onto the right hill.


Chris ran on the Hold Warriors behind the woods on his left, facing my crossbowmen...


The Hold Ballistae marched on centrally with Tempered Sorcerer...


The view from the Hill


The Hold Raegh & Thanes came over the hill on my left while the Men at Arms came on on my left...


The Hold Thanes...


And my smaller Men-at-Arms facing them


TURN 3

Chris managed to get all his units on, while I got my Knights but not the Steel legion

The Men-at-Arms  advance up onto the objective...


And are soon joined by the Noble Lord and his Household Knights


The Hold Thanes didn't "hold" back either, marching straight up but falling short of contesting


Same story on my right, not paying for standards mean 1" less movement on a march...


TURN 4

My Steel Legion failed to arrive again...

Chris went first and shot two crossbowmen with his Hold Ballistae. I responded by killing three with my enhanced volley from my veteran crossbowmen...


Not often my troops out-shoot my opponents...


On the left, the Hold Thanes charged home against my Men-at-Arms...


The Thanes managed to hack down 6 Men-at-Arms but I managed to pass all six resolve with their veteran enhanced morale...


The loss of a stand allowed my Noble Lord and his knights to charge into the Raegh and the Thanes but by clipping (and starting) in woods, I lost my Devastating Impact.


I managed 7 hits...


But the heavy armour and high resolve meant only 6 Dweghom went down...


The Noble lord and the Hold Raegh then fought a duel, with the Hold Raegh losing 3 wounds to the Noble lords 1



The Dragonslayers were not far away...


But as the Hold Raegh boldly issued his own challenged, the Noble Lord cut him down, although he was badly wounded in the process


On the right, the Hold Warriors grumbled against their order but complied and held the objective rather than charge the hill... 


The Hold Thanes also kept hold of the left hand objective


END OF TURN 4

THE NOBLE 100 KINGDOMS 2 VP's

THE STOIC DWEGHOM WARRIORS 4 VP's

TURN 5

The "Heavy" Steel Legion automatically came on...

The Dragonslayers had to move before charging in, but were unable to attack by doing so.


The Household Knights struck back in style, scoring 14 hits...


Again, the high Dweghom armour and resolve resulted in only 6 casualties...


The Men at Arms failed to score many hits


While on the right the crossbow bolts were ineffectual against the Hold warriors


With only 3 falling, leaving the Warriors firmly ensconced on the objective on the right...


With the Men-at-Arms reduced down to two veterans, the depleted Dweghom still had sufficient numbers to control the left objective...


END OF TURN 5

THE VICTORIOUS DWEGHOM  8 VP's

THE DEFEATED 100 KINGDOMS 2 VP'S

A very quick game due to two simple factors: Poor army selection by me, and the innate toughness of the Dweghom.

The Steel Legion, 37% of my army points, simply arrived too late to take part which allowed the Dweghom to march up and encamp on the two high scoring objective and the small unit of Men at Arms could not contest the higher stands the Dweghom brought. Chris deployed well and his army was better designed. I will say that I was tinkering with the new army rules in my defence, but it was a mistake. While I did get the better of the Dweghom toe-to-toe, their resolve was good enough to keep their number up high enough to control the objective on the left...

 The one positive to take was Chris's dismal dice rolling in the duels, I've never beaten the Hold Raegh before in one but he rolled so many 5,s and 6's for armour, the Dweghom Raegh dropped in two clashes. A deserved victory for the Dweghom!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment