Friday 3 September 2021

Send in the clowns: Bloody Mummers take on Baratheons in Fire & Blood

 The Goat v the Onion Knight as I took my Bloody Mummers up against Raymond's (Mr Ray) Baratheon's in our Thursday night match up at Justplay...

Having spent the weekend finishing my second unit of skirmishers and some "Mummer" archers, I was looking forward to getting this colourful bunch onto the table...

Statistically speaking (which I dont like to do) these guys are very sub-par. All armour 5+ and morale 7+. Still, they are colourful...

Bloody Mummer Skirmishers with Vargo Hoat (C)

Bloody Mummer Skirmishers 

Bloody Mummer Zorse Riders

Bloody Mummer Zorse Riders

Bloody Mummer (Stormcrow) Archers 

NCU's:Petyr Baelish, Roose Bolton

I had every reason to be optimistic...


Especially with their little "head rub for good luck" lucky charm, "Windsok"


Harlequins in ASOIF...


Of course, Vargo really doesnt blend in...


And despite how underwhelming they appear to be, they look pretty...


Facing my Mercenary vanguard (as they are so light they gotta be scouting) was Raymond's "almost finished" Baratheon's. More heavily armoured, but not overly so, this force on paper looks quite reasonable.

House Bolton Bastard Girls with Davos Seaworth (C)
House Bolton Flayed Men with Dragonstone Noble attachment
Baratheon Sentinels
Dragonstone Noble
Baratheons Sentinels

NCU's: Alester Florent and Petyr Baelish


Nice Basing Raymond...


TURN 1

This is the deployment with Davos and the girls off. I planned to sweep down the left with the Zorses while my Skirmishers held off the Baratheons as the archers shot them.


My two right side unit were marked


As were both Sentinels...


Raymond opted to go 1st in round 2, so I went first and used Baelish on the horses and used letters. Raymond used Baelish on bags but used crown to hit my right side Skirmishers


I lost 3 men, but played worth the risk, despite being 6.5" away...


Aye, well, that was a waste...


Having already played Spoils of War card. I also burned a Surprise strategy, having taken the letters. Raymond took the crown, which I really should have seen coming!!!


And failed that too...


 losing a further two skirmishers.


Raymond advanced up his Sentinels, clearly baiting my Archers who obliged, shifting up and let loose...


Requiring 4+ to hit, its fair to say the dice were not kind.


Nor was Raymond, who saved the hit, auto passing his panic, adding Baratheon Conviction to the Sentinels. And also used the Order : Sentinel in the Flayed Men to move up 5", then activated them, moving up and charging the 7 remaining "marked" right hand Skirmishers...


Critical hits are a real pain when you roll well, scoring 10 hits despite needing 4+...


Saving on 5's, I failed miserably...


I had brought back a Zorse unit to try and counter Davos in turn 2, but with Vargo out of position to slow the Flayed Men, I used Issue Commands to activate them and charge in...


End of TURN 1

House Baratheon 3 VP's

Vargo's Hoat's Mummer Troupe 0 VP's

I was on the back foot and on the left I had a single Zorse unit facing off against the Noble solo and a Sentinel unit. Raymond was activating first in Turn 2


TURN 2

Florent took the horses, bring Davos and his Bastard girls on in my rear. I hummed and haaa'd a bit, before taking the swords, not to allow the Zorses to smack the Flayed Men.


But allow the archers to target the Sentinels again...


3 hits caused 3 wounds...


And a fourth from the failed panic (losing Baratheon Conviction) but triggering their order to allow them to advance...


Raymond used the Sentinels activation to play "Parlay", thus activating my archers. I hit hard with teh Zorses, dropping a full rank off the Flayed Men (think they injured themselves when hitting the Skirmishers too). Alas, Davos the used Flea bottom tricks to manouver in behind them before charging the Zorses...


Davos is a real boon to the slow moving Baratheons!!!


I was being masterfully ambushed!!!


Lost 2 wounds from arrows...


plus 4 from the failed panic!!! (Intimidating Presence from the Flayed Men adding one to the dice)


And Raymond used Fealty to the Crown to bolster his Flayed Men too. The resultant "Charging Volley" wiped out the unlucky Zorses...


This freed up the Flayed Men to go charging into the archers flank...


Eight hits only resulted in four wounds and I passed my panic with my recovered "Worth the Risk"


On the other side of the battlefield, I charged the Dragonstone Noble, casiing a wound. A small victory in the grand scheme of things!!!


The Sentinels used their order to flank the Zorses...


And the Noble did some damage too. Cant remember how he got there in my flank like, but sure it was legit!!!


The result was never in doubt...


END OF TURN 2

House Onion 7 VP's

Vargo's Pitiful Remnants 0 VP's

Two units left but Vargo was set up for next turn where he planned to dice himself an Onion!!!


TURN 3


Meanwhile, Andy's new Targaryen's were looking in a good position against Ste's Starks...

Colin had also used Targaryen's earlier in the day to sweep away Dale's Night's Watch


I activated Vargo's Skirmishers, who charged in, and left 2 of the Boltons alive, after expending a weakness token to kill Davos. 


I then used Peter on letters to use swords and kill them off!!!


This left them to face off against everyone else...


As the archers would not survive...


None of the 5 hits were saved, and the panic check was badly failed...


They must have activated of the swords as they were able to charge me as I was out of activations...


Hit in the flank...


I lost 4 Mummers....


And two to panic!!!


END OF TURN 3

HOUSE BARATHEON 10 VP's

VARGO'S BLOODIED MUMMERs 2 VP's


The Bloody Mummers lived up to their name as that game was bloody in the extreme. I was simply outmatched at every level by Raymond. He knew his army, his cards, what he wanted to do with them, and I simply failed to put up any resistance. I haven't got used to the deck yet, and as a whole force the Mummers are too weak against most armies. My dice were poor and Raymond's were pretty damn good!!! All in all I got my ass severely kicked by a better player. 

 Also have to say Raymond played "Everything" to bring back Davos, so didn't even get that simple pleasure. I'm getting through painting my Neutrals ready for our league to start at the end of the month, so onto my Stormcrow Dervishes but the Mummer will return soon enough...

The Fool and the Jester...


So much for lucky "Windsok"


EVENTS

The biggest ASOIF event in the UK... A Song of Ice and Fire UK GT | LGT 2021 (lgtpresents.co.uk)  Two day event in London run by Chris Eustace.  I cannot go sadly, but a few of the Justplay regulars are...

Justplay will be holding their second event on Saturday 16th October. Tickets will be available soon here, so save the link if your interested. https://justplaygames.uk/collections/event-tickets

The lads at Imps Gaming in Lincoln are running another event in November which I'll be going to... A Song of Ice and Fire Ticket - Nov 2021 (imps-gaming.com)

 I'll be running a two day event at Ribble Rumble in December at Element Games in Stockport, for 16 players The Ribble Rumble - ASOIF | Facebook 

Gavin up at Gaming Figures in Redcar will doubtless run a few too Gaming Figures

As hopefull will Entoyment down in Poole, who organise the awesome Beachhead exhibition. Homepage - Entoyment Wargaming and Hobby Centre

Board & Swords https://www.boardsandswords.co.uk/ and Board in Brum  https://www.boardinbrum.co.uk/will hopefully add another event in before end of year...

All the above venues support the game and sell A Song of Ice and Fire Miniatures. Check them out, or pop in and visit if you are in the area...

COMING SEPTEMBER

The Justplay League!!! Will update more but essentially we're going to be running a campaign/league with a great wee rulepack masterfully put together by Greg Deane (Greggers)


No comments:

Post a Comment