Friday 10 December 2021

Greyjoy v Baratheons

 So with our league drawing to a close, Thursday night A Song of Ice and Fire at Justplay saw my arranged final game postponed which freed me up from the Neutrals shackle for a second game with Greyjoys, using one of my lists from the Ribble Rumble I'm running this weekend...

Carlo was back in his home town ahead of the Rumble and generously gave me the opportunity to kick his Baratheon ass as he was using the "nice" list!!! In fairness, most of lists for the Ribble Rumble are not over the top. Tough but fair is fine by me

My force consisted of the following:

Greyjoy Trappers with Asha (C) and Qarl

Ironborn Bowmen x 2

Harlaw Reapers x 2

Ironmakers

NCU's: Erik and Wendamyr

In other news,  Colin and Ste (PsychoSte and Kolco) were playing off for the league top spot!! We kept our distance as it really was neck and neck with Ste unbeaten in eight from nine and Colin with seven wins but higher secondary. Really was winner takes all!!!


Aden was also down, using his Greyjoys in the league against Gregs FreeFolk


Anyway, back to our game. My Greyjoy horde consisted of all my painted units and had the quantity over Carlo's exquisite Baratheons...

House Bolton Flayed Men
House Bolton Bastard Girls with Bronn
Baratheon Wardens
Rose Knights with Loras

NCU's: Courtnay Penrose, Eldon Estermont and Tycho Nestoris


Courtnay, Tycho and Eldon...


I had Erik and Wendamyr...


We were playing Fire & Blood and set up as below left to right

Carlo's went Flayed Men (marked  with sundering), Rose Knights, Bronn's Girls (marked weakened?)

I had Reapers(marked with precision), Bowmen back, Trappers, Ironmakers, Bowmen(marked max attacks) and Reapers.

2 Weirwoods central with stakes to right and wall for my bowmen


TURN 1

I let Carlo go first, as wanted to get stuck in on Turn 2. I had a good hand I thought


And so did Carlo. That card is pure evil. Carlo said he'd win the shooting war, and I had to re-read it, and yeah, easily. Any time I shot him I'd take hits!!!


So taking the swords first, he did just that...


As usual turn one was mostly manouver but only after we filled the tactics board...


Carlo played cagily, as no need to over commit. I had no such fear as had a cunning plan having gotten a second toke when Wendamyr swapped out crown for it


I advanced or marched up to crowd and double up on the hard units on my left!!!


Kinda telegraphing my plan mind!!!


TURN 2


Having spent both Wendamyr's tokens previously I was auto in for the kill... And still cocked it up with the charge roll!!!


I shrugged of the glamour Loras has down South...


And got 3 precision hits...


And a further 3 dead with the panic morale as the Reapers are vicious...


The Flayed Men attacked back off the swords and did quite a bit of damage, so I took the bags to heal up


Still, I had a pillage token...


Using a Wendamyr token the previous turn, I was in on a 2+ to get the Ironmakers stuck in... And well, they got stuck and ended up an inch away from Loras!!!


Meanwhile, the Greyjoys and Free Folk also got started...


The Flayed Men slapped me and wiped the Reapers out having used some card (Growing Strong) shenanigans. But What is Dead may never die brought them back with 3 wounds


I got another token from Wendamyr...


And had to avoid shooting Bronn's Girls...


The Rose Knights charged into the Ironmakers but on a 1 too (Ironmakers had the 2+ save now)


End of TURN 2

House Baratheon 0 VP's

House Greyjoy    0 VP's


Board at end of Turn 2

The Reapers on the left were hurting, but on the right I'd taken 2 wounds from the stakes and hit the Wardens. I was losing the shoot out in the centre!!!


Meanwhile, Ste's Starks and Colin's watch had gotten to grips with one another...

Aden is doing the league write up here... LEAGUE CLIMAX


And the Free Folk were on their heels...


TURN 3

Courtnay took the swords, the Flayed Men killed the Reapers...


But I had What is Dead may never die again and stayed there with two, and healed up to five...


I kept failing panic due to vicious despite Asha and as I had Ironborn mettle awaiting a morale pass I had another cunning plan. I used the bowmen to shoot the Flayed men,


Who is a clever boy...


So when I pass, I'd heal 2plus 2 more from Asha...


Yeah, what's the odds!!! I don't even think I wounded a Flayed man but with their Intimidating Presence and me rolling a 3 on two dice and a 3 on the white dice I'd wiped out 80%of the unit I'd been healing for two turns!!! I mean it was a good idea, but purely executed. Carlo didnt laugh too much to give him credit...


The tactics board filled up, the lone Reaper died giving up a massive 5 VP's and the Flayed Men stayed back. Wendamyr grabbed a token.


The Bowmen passed a Crown panic check... 


And having shifted with Wendamyr's token, Asha's trappers flanked the Rose Knights. The two swordsmen had at it and Qarl won!!!


And the Trappers took a rank!!!


Tactics board at end of Turn 3


Board at end of Turn 3.

 I'd lost more Reapers to the stakes and one to a Baratheon Warden

HOUSE BARATHEON (minus Loras)                                 5 VP's

HOUSE GREYJOY (incl treacherous Bowmen)                 0 VP's


The Greyjoys had ripped the centre out of the Free Folk next to us...


And I was kind stuck here too... I'd lose the Bowmen for sure this turn and felt the Trappers were going to get hurt!!!


TURN 4

I had Erik take the Swords and the the Trappers killed a few Rose Knights. They were healed


And attacked again!!!


Meanwhile, the Flayed Men went for the easy kill. easily running down the 8 remaining bowmen as I'd taken 4 off to heal up my Trappers...


Finally got to play We do not Sow for another Crtitical blow hammer swing. But alas, the other Bowmen fell to the Bastards Girls and the Stakes/Warden combo killed off my right side Reapers...


END OF TURN 4 (& game)

HOUSE BARATHEON   12 VP's

HOUSE GREYJOY      0 VP's


Well, it didn't go well. I literally ran into a tough army that watched me shoot myself in the back and impale itself on stakes!!! Carlo knows his army and didn't break a sweat against my paltry efforts, but what did work for me he simply healed up. His cards were good and board control swamped me. Courtnay didn't get mentioned as couldn't remember exactly when he was used, but he was healing every time I did by blocking swords and bags for two of his three tokens. And popped Tycho. I mean I did hurt the Flayed Men and Rose Knights, but thats where Baratheons excel, in regenerating.

Still, it was always gonna be tough. Well played Carlo, it'll all be different if we meet tomorrow!!!

Meanwhile, the top two players shake hands after the game!!! Aden promises me he'll have a write up within 24hrs... Is it up yet???



Meanwhile, Aden's Greyjoys  massacred the Free Folk 11 - 2. Aden overtakes me in the league...




EVENTS

I'll be running a two day event at Ribble Rumble on December 11th/12th at Element Games in Stockport, for 16 players The Ribble Rumble - ASOIF | Facebook    (SOLD OUT)

And  A SONG OF DICE & FIGURES VOL IV on Saturday 8th January... Tickets

John Craig is hosting Always Winter at Common ground Games in January 2022 (22nd/23rd) at Stirling, a two day event that I plan to go to, link here ALWAYS WINTER (I've got my ticket and there'll be at least 3 of us from The Wardens of the North-West!!!)

Gavin up at Gaming Figures in Redcar will doubtless run a few too Gaming Figures

As hopefully will Entoyment down in Poole, who organise the awesome Beachhead exhibition. Homepage - Entoyment Wargaming and Hobby Centre

Board & Swords https://www.boardsandswords.co.uk/ and Board in Brum  https://www.boardinbrum.co.uk/will hopefully add another event in before end of year...

All the above venues support the game and sell A Song of Ice and Fire Miniatures. Check them out, or pop in and visit if you are in the area...









No comments:

Post a Comment