Friday 10 June 2022

Greyjoy v FreeFolk: Euron v Rattleshirt in A Game of Thrones

 Another A Song of Ice & Fire Thursday night at Justplay in Liverpool, with Aden (Spykr) using his own Greyjoys against my Free Folk. So after not playing of rbest part of 8 months, we get two games in in 4 weeks.

I'd selected scenario this time, which was A Game of Thrones. My list was below, and had a bit of a mix as wanted to see howteh Bear riders combined with Rattleshirt as commander.

Bonelord's Chosen with Rattleshirt - The Lord of Bones Frozen Shore Bear Riders Free Folk Raiders with The Weeper - Cruel Tyrant Spearwives with Ygritte - Spearwife Archer Followers of Bone with Jarl - Advance Raid Leader NCU's Craster & Mance Rayder
Aden went for 3 Vic trick list led by Euron Greyjoy, which I was interested to see as I play Greyjoys too but seems to complicated for me to work with...

Blacktyde Chosen with Euron Greyjoy - Lord Reaper of Pyke Ironborn Reavers with Victarion Greyjoy - Master of the Iron Victory Ironborn Reavers with Jaqen H'ghar - Unnamed Ironborn Bowmen with Asha Greyjoy - Captain of the Black Wind NCU's Balon Greyjoy, Moqorro, Rodrik Harlaw


Board & set up

We rolled random terrain and ended up with 5 pieces, a hedge, stakes, two Weirwoods and a wood

Aden set up Left to right: Asha's Bowmen, Victarion Reavers, Euron's Blacktyde Chosen and Jaqen's Reavers

I kept Followers with Jarl in outflank, bears left with Bonelords Chosen and Weeper's Radiers centre and spearwives right.


TURN 1

Alternative Mance NCU as why not... He took the Horses as Aden let me activate first, and I brought in the Followers of Bone with Jarl to threaten Aden right...


Or look to hold an early objective!!!


Turn 1 was all about moving up, or in Aden's case, movign the Reavers on my right back, so the Followers took the objective. Victarions Reavers marched up through the stakes...


Weirdly enough, not filling up the tactics board first...


Asha was last unit to go, shooting the Bears for 2 wounds...


But I healed up with Craster for a card and a second as Mance had influenced them. Last activation was a panic attack from crown on the Bonelords Chosen... 


But nothing to worry about there...


BOARD AT END OF TURN 1


TURN 2

I knew Aden was baiting me with Victarion but it had to be done so I charged in with the BoneLords chosen and Rattleshirt himself...


I rolled wel but didnt ahve Critical blow or Precision sadly...


Aden saved 3 of them, taking two wounds


But with There's Too Many and given Aden's panic check dice roll, and Rattleshirt's Intimidating Presence, that was 4 men more down.


Victarion tried to attack on his order and lost 3 men to the stakes, before Horrific visage scared Victarion away...


I activated the Bears next


And easily charged into Asha's bowmen mauling and panicking five...


Taking the swords, Aden used Moquorro's ability, to add a Victarion (Ironmaker) to Euron's unit...


Just an overview of the board prior to Euron's Blacktyde charging into the Weepers Raiders...


Well at least I had a Weirwood...


Pretty awesome saves, or Aden just rolled really poorly. Cant remember but I did pass the morale check


I had the Weeper strike back


taking re-roll attacks from Overwhelming assault and scoring 6 hits


and succeeded in dropping a rank gaining Bloody trophies...


Balon used his once per game to resurrect the Reavers with Victarion and threaten my right side Followers of bone


And after Jaqen had changed to Victarion, he used his order to move up, then charged on activation.


Horrific Visage did scare three of them off though but they succeeded in dropping a rank and contesting the objective...


END OF TURN 2

FREEFOLK 3 VP's

GREYJOYS 2 VP's

TURN 3

Activating off Victarion, the Blacktyde attacked and cut down three Raiders. Not sure why Aden activated like that, may have been to do with card or order shenanigans...


This allowed me to shift up with Ygritte and her wives, toss spears to drop 2 and charge the flank Jaqen Vic's reavers


which dropped 4 more...


Aden activated them and played the Iron price to heal 3


So I took the Horses to play Endless Horde. I took the left objective as the double Victarions on the right looked more than a match for me there...


The Bear Rider hit Asha's bowmen in the flank


scoring 6 hits


with one saved and Asha aced the panic check


Battlefield overview


Activating, Euron and his Blacktyde Chosen cut down the Raiders, four from wounds and 4 from the panic fail...


Having used both my NCU's, I was at the mercy of Aden re-healing


And Aden made a pair of save too so I didnt even take a rank...


Fortunately, the Followers of Bone did better


And when Reborn Vic charged in, his Reavers lost 3 men to horrific Visage...


On the left, I eyed up a 4+ charge to try and finish Asha


They were easily cut down but What is Dead May never die allowed her to survive, passing the panic check afterwards...


Real Victarion zombie attacked and finished off the Followers of bone, after losing another man to Horrific visage


And the Seized the objective. Jaqens Victarion turned and attacked the Spearwives...


I had the left though and kept the Raiders on the objective...


But my right was collapsing...


Except Ygritte. She had a panic check to make but I was wearing my lucky pin badge!!!


So she just passed it...


END OF TURN 3

FREEFOLK 4 VP's

GREYJOYS 5 VP's

Board at End of Turn 3


Moquorro took the swords allowing Jaqen Vic to attack


Easily dispatching Ygritte, the last of the spearwives...


Perfect timing for my second Endless Horde to come on with Mance on the horses...


which Euron Victarion had to activate to turn and face...


I activated the spearwives and tossed spears and charged in


scoring 5 hits on the charge


and halving the Blacktyde numbers...


The Bonelords Chosen finished off  Asha and surged forth off spikes, having been reduced down to five men but Craster on crown swapped to heal two and also used his once per game for two more...


Right side Greyjoys took control of two objectives, Bears and raiders had the left and in the middle, Euron still held but I had first activation Turn 5 and was nicely positioned...


Euron activated and cut down the spearwives to 4 ladies...


END OF TURN 4 

FREEFOLK 7 VP's

GREYJOYS 8 VP's

TURN 5

Aden has an idea what I'm going to do...


Hitting on 2+'s due Weapon Trophies, the Bonelord and his Chosen charged into the rear with overwhelming assault for Critical blow


Six inferior Chosen fell to them, before the panic check


And Euron lost 3 men... AAARGH!!! (Definitely worth mentioning here that the far right objective had allowed Aden to heal one back on the unit when scoring at end of turn). Aden toyed with retreating but felt (correctly) that the spearwives would have got him, so he toyed with healing and then finally settled on attacking the spearwives, killing them.


That attack allowed me to play Diversion tactics and bring up the Raiders, who then activated and charged home...


Wiping out Euron, allowing me to surge forth back towards the left objective and the Lord of Bones pivoted to claim the central objective...


Aden spent ages doing tehmath and was resigned to the defeat but I dropped enough hints and he still didn't get it, taking the  crown to try killing some Bonelords Chosen...


Allowing me to take the horses to move my Raiders... Aden was crestfallen!!!


Until we measured and they were falling just short...


Board at the end of TURN 5 (and Game)


Having each destroyed a unit and each holding two objectives,  Aden had sneaked the win!!!

GREYJOY 11 VP's  (22 unit points)

FREEFOLK 10 VP's (20 unit points)



What a great game!!! Three Victarion zombies on the board, error by both of us and so many things just landing right to give a narrow, and deserved victory. I erred in charging off the objective on the right to attack the Reavers and help the Jarl Followers of Bone I feel with hindsight. Asha also held up my two hardest units for too long, and allowed Aden to batter my right side. Aden struggled getting his activations right to maximise his cards at times, but he was trialling the list and at the end of the day we both a had a really good fun game that could have went either way. Horrific Visage did more damage to the Greyjoys than some of my attacks

EVENTS IN UK

Saturday June 11th at Battlefield Hobbies, Daventry, Battle of the Bar-Stewards

Dukes Gaming, Saturday 18th June,  LINK

 16th & 17th July Duke's Gaming Welsh Grand Tournament Cymru Grand Tournament

23rd July Board in Brum (Walsall) War of the West (Midlands)

ELO is COMING (Stirling,  Scotland), 13th August ELO is Coming

The 128 player 2 day event UK London Grand Tournament (ELO) 30th September Link

16 Player 2 day event 22/23rd Oct at the RIBBLE RUMBLE, ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT, UK LINK




No comments:

Post a Comment