Tuesday 7 June 2022

War of the White-Rose Cloaks: 3 Game event at Leeds (UK)

Paul Whitehead (SoupDragon88) and Thomas Whitworth ran a 3 game 30 player event over at Leodis Games in Leeds with prize support from Gavin up at Gaming Figures which 5 of us Wardens of the North West attended (outdone by twice as many from Dead Meta). 

With the main aim to encourage new players and grow the community, and an intent from Paul and Tim for fun and friendly games, I was running a single, all female Free Folk list to that effect.


As below

(With a bit of banter for good measure)

Awesome array of prize support from Gavin up at Gaming Figures, CMON and odds and

ends from Thomas's travels to the Game of Thrones exhibition thingy in

Northern Ireland Studio Tour Webpage


Leodis is a really nice set up in an old Mill complex in Northern Leeds, which
was surprisingly spacious internally


GAME 1: FIRE & BLOOD

So the draw was made and I was drawn against Chris Baker and his Lannisters, who I played
 in the final game at my last event (Please see battle report from May 10th here)
A true pleasure to play such a beautiful army, but thought this would be a really tough match 
for my Ladies...
• Lannister Guardsmen Roose Bolton - The Leech Lord (C) • Poor Fellows • Lannister Crossbowmen with Bronn - The Sellsword • Knights of Casterly Rock • Gregor Clegane - The Mountain That Rides Non Combat Units • Pycelle • Petyr Baelish • The High Sparrow

Random terrain produced a Weirwood, hedge & woods

Chris set up L-R with Poor Fellows, Crossbowmen, Knights, Guardsmen and the Mountain

I went with Bannerwoman Spearwives, Giantess, Bear Rider, Harma's Spearwives and the Mammoth. 

Chris didn't set up the full 18" but I had a cunning plan. Run up and smack the two marked units on the left, while both my spearwives were marked.


TURN 1

I opted to go first and took the horses with Ygritte, influencing the Giantess and advancing 6"


Of course, the folly of such a bold move soon became clear as it dawned on me that Baelish could trigger with Bronn and attack of swords or bags. Chris backed the crossbows off while plinking a few wound s of the big lass. Ach well, I ended up failing the 6+ charge but I was committed!!!


The Spearwives moved up in support too but being down to two wounds...


the Knights of Casterly Rock easily finished her off. Still, I did advance up aggressively while the Mammoth kept my right flank secure. (Chris doesn't like her)


TURN 2

The Poor Fellow charged into my left spearwives who had lost a rank to shooting at the end of the previous turn.


inflicting 2 wounds...


as I made quite a few saves...


I lost another to a failed panic but used the swords to attack back after shifting over, then used hit and
run to retreat and heal 3 wounds due to the Bannerwoman.


I also got the drop on the Knights with the Bears


with all the dice hitting scoring 5 wounds


The crossbowmen dropped a bear with shooting...


but passed their panic check despite Hear me Roar. 


The Poor Men were savaged by the Spearwives who used Val to retreat ready for next turn while Harma
and her spearwives charged the front of the Knights...


But the Knights healed up and Roose and the Guardsmen flanked the Spearwives after my Mammoth failed it charge on them...


The Mountain finished Harma off...


Board at end of TURN 3


End of Turn 3

Lannisters 5 VP's

FreeFolk  0 VP's

TURN 3

I had Ygritte take the Swords, toss the spears at the with the intention of  charging in and finishing of the Poor Fellows and surge forth to threaten the crossbows. But I caused 3 wounds and the Poor Fellows promptly failed their morale losing 2 more and being wiped out


which netted me 4 VP's...


The Knights were healed again and I used Val to move my Spearwives into charge range of the Guardsmen


When I came to activate, Chris played Subjugation of Power


But I passed the 10 + test...


Twice...


And while I only managed to kill 3 on the charge...


Six more died due to There's Too Many...


The Bears died to the Mountain as they failed their panic check, but that allowed me to play Diversion tactics to bring the Mammoth to the Guardsmen's flank and when it charged, Feinting Manouver allowed me to leap into their rear...


Leaving only 2 men alive...


END OF TURN 3

LANNISTERS 6 VP's

FREEFOLK 4 VP's

TURN 4

The Knights charged into the rear  of the Spearwives and wiped them out.


I retaliated by wiping out the Guardsmen and Roose with the Mammoth and surge forth to generally look menacing. But the Mountain pinned it in place...


And having moved off the horses, Bronn and the Crossbows had plenty of shots left to bring the beast down...


END OF TURN 4

HOUSE LANNISTER  12 VP's

FREE FOLK 5 VP's


Well deserved victory for Chris, helped in no small part by me playing like a donkey first turn. But I felt I had to press the weaker units early, I simply didn't remember the potential combinations of shooting Bronn, Baelish and Crossbows gave. And Chris played cautiously enough to suck me in, although the Spearwives retreat and healing shenanigans was an unpleasant surprise. But I simply got out played by a better opponent and suffered a crushing defeat as a result. One game all...

GAME TWO: A FEAST FOR CROWS

I was matched against Dan Oldfield and his Drogo led Targaryens in a Feast for Crows, a nasty scenario
with a hard hitting list as below.
• Drogo's Bloodriders with Khal Drogo - The Great Khal (C) • House Bolton Flayed Men with Rakharo - Bloodrider • Unsullied Swordmasters with Belwas - Veteran Pit-Fighter • Dothraki Screamers Non Combat Units • Illyrio Mopatis with Daenerys Targaryen Dan was a local player in Leeds so we chattered away and I forgot the usual set up pics, sorry...

TURN 1

I did take the horses first moved Harma up, and Daenerys took the letters


The terrain is central with a wood, two bogs and a Weirwood and we both kind of corner camped.

I marched Harma forward to try and entice the Targaryen's out but the Screamers headed for the
objective on my left from the centre...


The Targ cavalry bunched up as the Free Folk moved up to line up and face them...


Tactics board at end of Turn 1


Board at End of Turn 1

I couldn't sit back and wait, just isn't in my nature!!! 


TURN 2

Daenerys took the horses to deny me it and had screamer move onto the objective...


Having activated the spearwives to seize the right objective, we mutually played out but I still had Harma and also the Bears to activate.  So with a quick swift reposition on Harma's Spearwives, then actviating for a spear toss with a 2" shift...


And boom!!! I did roll well for my 10 attacks and hitting the flank helped negate the armour.


And also failing a panic check helped. Belwas and pal were all that was let with me activating first next turn...


TURN 3

I activated first and charged the Swordmasters with the Mammoth who trampled Belwas and the Swordmaster underfoot...


Daniel retorted with a Flayed Men flank charge into the Bears and I took swords to flank the Bloodriders


Drogo turned to face...


 and easily dispatched Harma while his riders chopped down five spearwives...


This enraged the big lass who flanked Drogo's unit doing max wounds and they then failed the panic!!


I retreated the Spearwives away as Drogo was pinned for next turn...


END OF TURN 3

FREEFOLK 3 VP's

TARGARYEN 3 VP's



TURN 4

Daniel activated the Bloodriders and did a ride by attack. Nice way of getting out and 
doing wounds on the Mammoths and Giant


I took the Horses 


and brought the Giantess back to threaten the Bloodriders...


The Bloodriders healed up


And the wounded Giantess took Drogo down to one single wound before being flanked by the Flayed Men!!! The Screamers also left one objective to take the other near my Spearwives


However, the Spearwives activated and charged in taking the objective when the Screamers failed the panic.

END OF TURN 4

FREEFOLK 5 VP's

TARGARYENS 3 VP's

TURN 5

Having been weakened, I still took the risk and swung with the Giantess, killing Drogo...


And the Flayed Men cut down the Giantess...


The Screamers did a ride by attack on the spearwives to avoid a Mammoth charge but I repositioned for next turn as the Flayed Men bore down on my right side Spearwives who promptly charged them, to avoid being charged and although they got hurt, they retreated back off with Val and healed up off the Bannerwoman


BOARD AT END OF TURN 5

FREEFOLK 8 VP's

TARGARYENS 4 VP's


TURN 6

I activated the Mammoth and charged in to the Screamer to lock them in place given their proximity to the board edge...


The Screamers activated off the swords to attack the beast but didn't do much. This allowed me to take the Horses and play Endless Horde and bring back a spearwives unit, who when activated took the left objective. Daniel did panic the spearwives on the other objective  to death and the Flayed Men took the right objective while the screamers activation allowed them to retreat onto an objective as the spearwives were dead and off the board


BOARD AT END OF GAME


FREEFOLK 9 VP's

TARGARYEN 8 VP's

What an epic game!!! After a cagey start, my manouverability with Harma gave me an opening to seize the initiative and it swung to and fro. Dan was great fun to play and we had a great laugh, and it really came down to him not having Field Control when I played Endless Horde on turn 6, allowing me to size the objective and not lose the game on points remaining. Awesome, fun and so very close!!!



GAME THREE: A GAME OF THRONES

I was drawn against Massimo Furlotti, who had travelled all the way over from Nottingham and despite the name speaks with as much of an Italian accent as I do Scouse, maaaayte!!! After putting my foot in it with my usual tactless lack of subtelty on that matter, we proceeded to have a really great game, totally laugh a minute with some right cinematic moments with a tougher than it looked list...

• Unsullied Pikemen with Grey Worm - Unsullied Commander (C)
• Stormcrow Mercenaries with Daario Naharis - Reckless Mercenary
• Stormcrow Archers with Bronn - The Sellsword
• Dothraki Veterans

Non Combat Units • Illyrio Mopatis • Barristan Selmy • Daenerys Targaryen

Random scenery was two walls, a bog and some stakes

Massimo set up with Archers far left, Daario's Mercs next with the Unsullied Pikes and Veterans furthest on my right.

I set up with Bears, Giantess, Bannerwoman Spearwives, Mammoth and Harma far right


TURN 1

I had Ygritte takes horses and played Endless Horde hoping it was too early for field control. And Mass didn't have it!!! I brought on Raiders right besidesthe spearwives


We both advanced up aggressively but I was leaning left for the two weaker units, and Mass left the swords open...


Allowing a Swift reposition, spear toss and charge on the Stormcrow Mercs and Daario, with Overwhelming assault for critical blow!!!


As I was feeling lucky...


8 Hits and a failed panic resulted in 10 dead Mercs...


But I then got shot up pretty badly, with Mass forgetting it would cause a panic on Daario. But alas, he passed it...


I marched up the Giantess and Bear riders to really threaten both Stormcrows, with Daario healing up from Illyrio...


TURN 2

And what a Turn it was for Massimo!!! Activating off the tactics board, Daario hacked apart the spearwives, then over ran into the Giantess with precision and sundering doing 2 wounds. This allowed Diversion tactics to push the bears up and they hit the Archers in the flank on activation, using a second critical blow from overwhelming assault.


With critical blow


That left 3 Stormcrows, but the giantess was hacked down by Daario who then went to threaten the Bears 


I used Ygritte inlfuence and Horses to move the Mammoth across


The Veterans shot up my Raiders and charged them, but they fluffed and one Raider held them up by passing his panic check


The Mammoth moved again of off  Val....


Daario and his brave lads charged the Bears and badly mauled them.... But I then activated the Mammoth for the easy Archer kill!!!


END OF TURN 2

On the right Harma had marched up to take the far right objective, and the sole Raider retreated onto the near right objective...

FREEFOLK 3 VP's

TARGARYEN'S 2 VP

TURN 3

I took the sword with Ygritte and the bears attacked the Mercs, which was rubbish. Massimo healed them up with Daenerys...


I activated the Bears, and got one hit but two more died to panic... 


So Illyrio healed them up...


I shouted for the big girl to lend a hand...


God I do love Critical blow on the Mammoth!!!


9 hits caused 8 wounds and I was feeling good!!!


On the right though, the Veterans shot and killed the lone Raider, then charged into Harma (magically levitating over the stakes but no issues, rules are rules no matter how bloody stupid!!!)


I survived and retreated away, securing the objective...


Nice dice!!!


The Bears took the far left objective with the Mammoth shielding them as the Worm and his wormless wonders charged in with pikes


STUPID BLOODY DICE!!! 6 failed saves .. Oh how we laughed!!! At least I passed the panic


END OF TURN 3

FREEFOLK 6 VP's

TARGARYENS 2 VP's

TURN 4

Board at the start


Using the swords, the Unsullied cu down the Mammoth...


Then played Overrun!!!


And killed my Bears, while securing the objective...


On the left, I got shot and then flanked. But a 1 on the charge meant only 3 hits, and I had put a weakened on the veterans and they proceeded to miss with all their attacks.... KARMA!!! 


END OF TURN 4

FREEFOLK 7VP's

TARGARENS 6 VP's


TURN 5 was over very quickly... I'll leave it to your imagination as to how it ended, but the last thing Harma saw were some arrows!!!


END OF TURN 5 (& GAME)

TARGAYENS 9 VPs

FREEFOLK 7 VP's

A third great game!!! I thought I'd done for Daario but he came back swinging. Two overruns just when needed took the heart out of my army and there were some crazy dice rolls!!! A great finale, Massimo was real fun to play and it was his first event, so hadnt had too many games I think

All in all, a really chilled, fun and friendly day out in Leeds. Big thumbs up for Paul and Thomas for a brilliant buffet and an excellent event, which was their first and definitely not their last. It had a real good themed event feel, and also thanks to my three great opponents for the brilliant games. Also, always good to see so many of the Dead Meta "Codheads" down, they always make an event more fun!!! (Apparently that's the local moniker for Redcar)

PRIZES FOR EVERYONE!!!

AND I DIDN'T GET A PICTURE THE BEST ONE, AWARDED TO MASSIMO AS FOR BEING THE TOPPED RANKED NEWEST PLAYER AT HIS FIRST EVENT. HE GOT THE NEW STARK STARTER SET. GREAT IDEA AND FAIR TO SAY HE WAS WELL CHUFFED!!!

   Full results and stuff on ASOIF STATS here... RESULTS

Andy R (Lord Robbo) got Most Sporting by being really nice to people who don't know him. Fair play to you Andy, now try it next time you play me!!! (Admittedly, my luck does piss people off some time) 


Best Painted went to Chris Baker and his Lannisters


I got something for having the dodgiest mullet, or for having the best themed list (although all the Free Folk players got an honourable mention for having Mag the Mighty lists too and not taking it too seriously)


Mid table mediocrity awards for Nigel King of Dead Meta and Andy S, a fellow Warden, who both played each other first game and actually managed a draw by scoring no units destroyed, no VP's and having same amount of points on the table!!! (I can't decide while that's amazing or just really piss poor!!!)


"Fluffy" Ste won the event with his 6 activations all Bolton themed list consisting of 3 Flayed Men and Roose in Blackguard with Varys and Baelish... 
The pin badge he is wearing is a bell saying "SHAME" which he wore with pride having been awarded
it for his list. Nice!!!


The Fantastic Five (well, Ste and the rest of us) all came away with something.  Ray got a prize for finishing second bottom and also getting a spot prize game two for being first person to be tabled (by Lee Parkin's Greyjoy's, of all people). But yeah, all us Wardens of the North-West had a great day...


Being 26th, I got some additional things for just being crap along with bulk of the Dead Meta guys...


But the real prize is this little badge I swapped with Raymond (as I already had the big book I won) which I'll wear when using my Free Folk as I love Ygritte and reminds me of how well I know other armies...





UPDATE

Charity Appeal 

Kieran "Scaddman" Scaddan held a 24hr sponsored wargame of ASOIF in aid of Veterans

mental Health charity on 28th/29th May.

Link to his Justgiving page is HERE

AMAZING RESULT, RAISING £862 for the worthy causes!!!


EVENTS IN UK

Saturday June 11th at Battlefield Hobbies, Daventry, Battle of the Bar-Stewards

Dukes Gaming, Saturday 18th June,  LINK

 16th & 17th July Duke's Gaming Welsh Grand Tournament Cymru Grand Tournament

ELO is COMING (Stirling,  Scotland), 13th August ELO is Coming

The 128 player 2 day event UK London Grand Tournament (ELO) 30th September Link

16 Player 2 day event 22/23rd Oct at the RIBBLE RUMBLE, ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT, UK LINK





No comments:

Post a Comment