Tuesday 6 June 2023

The Heroic Half-Century: Three 50pt Game event battle reports

 Paul and Thomas hosted a 26 player, beginner friendly 50pt event over at Leodis Games in Leeds on Sunday 4th June. Ste, Greg and I travelled over from Liverpool and I used the event to finally paint up my Mother of Dragons box and Heroes 3 and give the Targaryen's a run out. I'll give some credit to Nigel King's annihilation of my forces at Always Winter in Stirling for inspiring me to do it. 

Sadly, the picture below isn't mine, it's Alex Grant's awesome themed army based on the Targaryen's and Hightower's  from the "House of Dragon" show. See more of them in Game 2...

Although I had two lists, the second being Mother of Dragons, I only played the one throughout...


Unsullied Swordmasters with Marselen - Mother's Men Commander (C)
Drogon
Viserion
Rhaegal
Stormcrow Mercenaries with Belwas - Veteran Pit-Fighter
Stormcrow Mercenaries with Bronn
NCU's
Pyat Pree, Daenerys Targaryen (The Unburnt) & Illyrio Mopatis

As usual at these events at Leodis, Paul and Thomas awarded the "Badge of Shame" for the unfriendliest list build. Apparently my Dragons were considered, but really, there was only ever going to be one winner (and it wasn't Ste). Adam "Addy" Power collected his badge for his four units of Tully Cavaliers build...


Oddly enough, my first opponent was one of Addy's Dead Meta Gaming comrades in the form of Stephen Ivison, whom I'd spent the Saturday night at the Curry House chatting away to at Stirling earlier in the year, so I knew we'd have a good craic (as the Irish say) while we were playing...

GAME 1

Stephen "Blazinblackbear" Ivison

NIGHTS WATCH

A GAME OF THRONES
Ranger Hunters with Jon Snow - 998th Lord Commander (C) Sworn Brothers with Watch Captain & Satin - Commander's Steward Sworn Brothers with Watch Captain Ranger Vanguards with Coldhands - Former Crow Ghost NCU's
Qhorin Halfhand, Donal Noye & Bowen Marsh


All Terrain is generated randomly (seven is re-rolled)

Terrain: 3 woods (one looks like a bog) a central wall and a Weirwood

NIGHTS WATCH: Jon's Rangers, Satin's Sworn Brothers, Ghost Sworn Brother's. Ranger Vanguards off board.

TARGARYENS: Rhaegal, Swordmasters, Viserion, Stormcrows, Drogon, Stormcrows


TURN 1

I opted to go first and Stephen kept his Ranger Vanguards off in flank. I put Pyat Pree on the swords and played Devotees of the Dragon generating a fee unit of Freedmen. The potential for these two free units and their ability to supply aid from the tactics card was one of the reasons for taking Marselen. Alas, this was only time I got the free unit all day...


I moved up heavily on my right as Stephen brought up his centre


I didn't look to the left flank, my intention was to take the right and then concentrate on the centre... 


TURN 2

Stephen went first and took the horses, moving Jon's Ranger up to shoot the Unsullied...


before then activating Ghost and sending him into the Swordmasters to pin them in place. I did pass both Morale checks so healed two up from the wounds taken


I took the swords and attacked Ghost with the Swordmasters but the new House of Steel dice Stephen was using did him proud, with Ghost rolling 4 sixes. I also played Supply aid to heal up from the Freedmen...


I did manage to score one wound on the wolf...


With the Freedmen and Stormcrows on right objective, I was out activating the Watch who had moved to occupy the centre...


The Swordmasters activated and finished off Ghost, then used Unstoppable Advance to move out of bow range of the Rangers...


Viserion charged into the right side Sworn Brothers killing six in total so the Watch Captains attack back was much reduced and I only took two wounds. Stephen played Stand United Brothers to heal up 3 models. I then used Daenerys to attack with her Dracarys swap out, reducing the Sworn Brothers again, and again Viserion took another three wounds (five in total)


But Drogon hit them in the flank and wiped them out before surging forth to the rear of Satin's Sworn Brothers.  Jon's Rangers had charged the Swordsmasters then retreated out of melee, dropping a rank off of them...


With the Dragons circling and me first next turn, Stephen moved off the centre objective to muster his troops. I was expecting a charge on Rhaegal but did not want to send Rhaegal in alone...


So I took the centre objective with him and brought up the Stormcrows to support.


I used Illyrio to heal three wounds on Viserion, and healed a further one on Viserion from the centre objective


END OF TURN 2

TARGARYENS 4 VP's (2 objectives, 2 units)

NIGHTS WATCH 0 VP's

TURN 3

Start of the Round, Coldhands and his Vanguard rocked up in the rear arc of Drogon. And at the start of my turn, Coldhands sacrificed himself to prevent Drogon activating or taking ANY actions... Nice!!!


I put Pyat Pree on the bags to heal up the Swordsmasters. Satin's Sworn Brothers then charged Rhaegal, who took six wounds despite the wall buffing my defence. I used Daenerys to retreat and Rhaegal limped away the maximum 12". Stephen then charged Drogon in the rear, scoring six hits...


Being a wee bit lucky, I managed to save three, only taking three wounds and passed the morale check


I had Illyrio take the swords but swap out to heal Drogon up fully


Jon's Ranger's charged the Swordmasters again, then retreated and shot them up. I passed both morale checks so my Dauntless healed up two of them...


I charged the Freedmen into the Sworn Brothers and killed three, but the Freedmen were then wiped out giving a boost the Swordmasters thanks to Blood of the Dragon. I also tried a four up charge with the Stormcrows but came up an inch short...


I flew Rhaegal back to the far right objective to recuperate a bit while Viserion flanked the Vanguards


causing four wounds...


The Swordmasters charged the Rangers and killed an even half dozen...


END OF TURN 3

TARGARYENS 6 VP's (2 units, 4 objectives)

NIGHTS WATCH 0 VP's

Board at end of Turn 3


TURN 4


Stephen took the swords and attacked with the Rangers, then retreated and shot the Sword masters. Passing my morale kept me at two ranks though...


With the Rangers still to activate, I was tempted to heal up, but with Blood of the Dragon giving me an extra attack, I decided to go for it and charged in after playing War Cry to make them Vulnerable...


I scored seven hits and Stephen saved five before I made him reroll them. He lost the last four men and then played It Shall Not End until my Death, scoring six hits against my three remaining Swordmasters...


I managed to save four


Allowing a surge forth by Marselen on his own..


I did have Overrun in my hand but didn't think charging the Watch Captains Sworn Brothers would have been a good idea...


Using the Horses the Sworn Brothers moved to support the Vanguard Rangers, so I charged them with the Stormcrows...


I didn't even need the re-rolls as my dice were on fire now...


I even saved a few of the hits that came back and passed the morale check...


But then they activated and beat the crap out of me...


I took the bags and healed with Pyat Pree and with Quorin dead I had board control for rest of the turn.


The Vanguards attacked the wounded Viserion...


but of the three hits I saved them all...


I attacked back with Drogon, dropping the unit to Coldhands but not turning around. And they failed the panic check and died...


I played Overrun and Drogon went for the Sworn brothers.


He took a wound from the Relentless attack back from the last rank before Viserion activated and finished the unit off...


END OF TURN 4 (and Game)

TARGARYENS 11 VP's (5 units, 7 objectives - yeah, I miscounted the total)

NIGHST WATCH 0 VP's

That was a real fun game, lots of lucky dice on my part and a few "if only" from Stephen's point of view. Marselen's Dauntless ability really came to the fore. I did a lot of apologising for my dice rolls, but I do that a lot. We both played in the spirit of the game, nice and chilled about things and did have a good laugh which is what it's all about. Not sure about the silky pimp shirt Ste was wearing, but keep an eye out for his Only Fans page coming soon... ☘


GAME 2

Hadn't met Alex before but he was one of the self appointed "Magnificent Seven" who had travelled all the way "oop Norf" from leafy Oxfordshire. They also had some relatively new players, although Alex wasn't one of them and he was running a great themed list of Targaryens from House of Dragons as I mentioned earlier. 

 ALEX "I AM THE DRAGON!!!" GRANT

TARGARYENS (HOUSE OF THE DRAGON THEMED)

A CLASH OF KINGS


Unsullied Pikemen with Grey Worm - Unsullied Commander (C)
Unsullied Swordmasters with Bronn - The Sellsword
Unsullied Pikemen with Daario Naharis - Reckless Mercenary
House Bolton Flayed Men with Rakharo - Bloodrider
Jorah Mormont - The Wandering Knight
Dothraki Outriders

NCU's

Illyrio Mopatis & Mirri Maz Duur



Some real classy conversions to make the Unsullied Targaryen Household troops (Tully scale armour look nice as dragon scale)


Lannister Knights converted with bows for Outriders and Dragon Crested Flayed Men


But simplest was my favourite. High Tower (Highgarden) spearmen with Jorah Cavalier conversion...


Terrain: Wood, stakes and corpse pile

Old House Targaryen: Hightower Unsullied, Jorah, Outriders, Flayed Men, Unsullied Spearmen, Swordmasters

New House Targaryen: Viserion, Swordmasters, Drogon, Belwas Stormcrows, Rhaegal, Stormcrows


TURN 1

Alex took first turn (or rather I opted to go second I think). He took the letters while I took the horses first up...


I moved Drogon up while Viserion was made vulnerable. I also used swift reposition start of turn after taking the horses to move Viserion up a bit...


Alex moved up centrally as did I with a right hook each .But when Jorah had finished moving and so had all Alex's units, and with me going first next anyway, I saw a wee opportunity to eat. I activated Viserion and moved up six toward Jorah (who I crown zapped too and he had taken a wound from)


I needed a six to charge home but as I said, I was going first next round anyway...


YES!!!! Ok, so that was really lucky but ya gotta chance yer luck sometime... I hit, and with only two wounds left Jorah was dead!!!


I didn't need to roll the D3 but even without the crown zap he'd have been a goner...


I over ran in behind the Outriders and Rakharo used Sentinel to bring the Flayed Men around. He was going to Issue Commands with Grey Worm but then realised he couldn't get into Viserion so he took it back and moved up. I then made a 4+ charge with Drogon into the Swordmasters and then used Daenerys to Dracarys them dropping them to 3 wounds...


END OF TURN 1

BRIAN TARGARYENS 1 VP (1 unit)

ALEX TARGARYENS 0 VP

TURN 2

I had Pyat Pree take the swords and Drogon killed the Swordmasters. He then backed off a bit as didnt want the Flayed Men coming after him...


As it was, Alex went after Viserion, using Sentinel from Drogons attack to move up, then activate and move into Viserions flank before charging home...


Despite the flank attack, I made three of seven saves. I did fail the panic for two more wound and took an additional wound with the Flayed Men's Intimidating Presence...


I then used the Horses to retreat away, as the Flayed Men had activated, to give me a respite and heal.


I healed up Viserion and then Greyworm played Issue Commands (I'd forgot he had that). But luck was with em again, as the Flayed Dragon Knights Men failed their charge...


Board at End of Turn 2

I had taken the centre objective with Marselen and failed a charge into Greyworm flank but with Viserion dragging the Flayed Men away I was closing in around the centre. Viserion had hit the Flayed Men in the flank, but they used Sudden Retreat to move away. We took a flank objective each.


END OF TURN 2

BRIAN TARGARYENS 4 VP's (2 units, 2 objectives)

ALEX TARGARYENS 1 VP (1 objective)

TURN 3

Alex was up first and it was a no-brainer. The Flayed Men charged in and Viserion died


The Flayed Men used Unstoppable Advance to move eight inches back to the centre...


With an activation advantage, I let Alex charge into my Swordmasters, who held well and Dauntless kept topping them up as well as Illyrio


And after they were shot up by the Outriders, Pyat Pree took the bags


I sent Rhaegal into the rear of the Unsullied pikemen dropping two ranks but lash out caused 4 wounds on him. And I'd forgotten about Rakharro's Sentinel so got rear charged. But I survived due to some really poor attack dice., a save and a passed panic... And then Alex used his Illyrio to heal up. 


Rhaegal should have died but like Viserion before him, was doing a good job of holding off Flayed Men. The Stormcrows with Belwas charged into the Unsullied flank...


All seven hits struck home, with a lot of wounds caused. And Greyworm died to the failed panic check!!!


Alex tried a crown bomb on Rhaegal but I passed the morale check


Daenerys took the House of Undying and took a card off of Alex...


BOARD AT END OF TURN 3

Drogon had flanked the Flayed Men and dropped them to a single man, who Sudden Retreated away. I still held the centre and each held a flank


Tactics Board End of Turn 3


END OF TURN 3

BRIAN TARGARYENS 8 VP's (4 units ( Got 2 for Greyworm), 4 objectives)

ALEX TARGARYENS 3 VP's (Viserion, 2 objectives)

TURN 4

I activated Rhaegal as he was pretty weak having taken six wounds and charged into the Flayed Men, wiping them out and then played Overrun...


flanking the Outriders and dropping a horse on the charge


And another with the panic...


which allowed Alex to kill him with Lash Out...


The Outriders then activated and shot into the flank of Marselens Unsullied but I healed up again.


using Illyrio on the swords.


Alex healed up his horses with illyrio too


The HighTowers Unsullied marched up ready to die as he wanted to kill the last Dragon, as my Unsullied turned to face.


 I thought the game was over end of this turn...


But Alex pointed out its 12 VP's in 50pt games. So I tried a long range charge with the Stormcrows but as they failed, Drogon did not charge in on his own but repositioned...


END OF TURN 4

BRIAN TARGARYENS 11 VP's (5 units (2 for Greyworm), 6 Objectives)

ALEX TARGARYENS 4 VP's (Viserion, Rhaegal and 2 Objectives)

TURN 5

Alex charged Belwas Stormcrows with his Hightower Unsullied


dropping them down to four men. Illyrio took the Swords and swapped to heal them up to seven


Before the Outriders shot them in the flank with five hits and I failed all the saves


I rolled five two's which seemed bizarre...


I did pass my panic and healed up only to be crown bombed and lose the three I healed


The Swordmasters charged in an wiped out the Outriders.


Drogon charged in and dropped the Hightowers down to 3 men


Daenerys took the House of the undying and Drogon wiped the Hightowers out with four wounds caused and a failed panic check...


END OF TURN 5 (and Game)

Well, when you make a charge turn 1 on a six, you know you're feeling blessed. It was another exciting and real fun game, and Alex was real fun to play against. But Jorah going down like that, it really turned the game, as the Flayed Men were out chasing Dragons allowing me to concentrate my forces and pick off the Swordmasters, Greyworms unit and control the centre. Viserion and Rhaegal both survived charges they shouldn't have. Marselen and his Dauntless really worked well as the Outrider shooting was annoying but ineffectual. So sat on top table watching Baratheons and Mag battering  lumps out of each other until only Wun Wun giant remained... 

Ps: Of the Magnificent Seven from Oxfordshire, Alex came last so sure there was plenty of mickey taking on the road down. But as themed lists and painting goes, amazing!!! Also, to be thee DRAGON you need to take them...


GAME 3

Nathan won Most Sporting opponent at last years Ribble Rumble where he was running a Mag list before he got good. And at 50pts, there were quite a few Giant lists at Leeds and I have to say, I was worried about facing them but knew I'd have an third good game against a cracking opponent. In fairness, he only had 3 giants as opposed to his other list and I thought my other list would have been a better anti-giant list but decided to stick with the list I'd been playing.

NATHAN "birbz" BIRBECK

FREEFOLK

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS (How appropriate...)

Mag the Mighty - Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg Varamyr Sixskins - Master Skinchanger Wolf Pack Shadowcat Savage Giant Wun Wun Frozen Shore Chariots Frozen Shore Chariots NCU's
Lady Val, Craster & Ygritte


Terrain: Stakes on the left, two central walls and a hedge

FREEFOLK: Varamyr, Giant, Mag the Mighty, Chariot, Chariot, Wolves, Wun Wun. Shadowcat off board

TARGARYEN: Drogon, Viserion, Stromcrows, Swordmasters, Rhaegal, Stormcrows


TURN 1

Nathan went first at my behest and we went through a few NCU activations, with Nathan taking letters and making Viserion Vulnerable, and me moving Rhaegal up with horses. Nathan started moving up on my left, while I circled up on the right.


After I moved up the centre Stormcrows, Nathan sent a chariot in. I wasn't expecting it, as he still had his units on the right to activate. But hell, battle was joined...


The chariot hit hard, killing seven Mercenaries and Drogons flank charge only caused 3 wounds...


He came after Drogon with the second chariot, but failed his charge thankfully for me so I sued Daenerys for a Dracarys attack and killed the engaged chariot to before flying over to my left as I had an eye on Varamyr next turn. Nathan then sent the wolves into the Stormcrows to replace the chariot, dropping the unit to two men. Rhaegal failed a charge into the wolves flank


The Giants along the backline were certainly a worry to my little Dragons


END OF TURN 1

TARGARYENS 1 VP (1 unit)

FREEFOLK 0 VP's

BOARD AT END OF TURN 1


TURN 2

Start of round, Shadowcat appeared in the rear of my right Stormcrows


I ignored the Shadowcat, as had more thing to do. Drogon flew into Varamyr's flank


And yes, I managed to roll the three wounds on the D3 that I needed to kill him


Death to Varamyr!!! I then flew Drogon onto the left objective...


After the second chariot had flanked and killed my Stormcrows, I went for a 4+ charge into Wun Wun with the precision wielding Swords Masters but managed to score a single wound, so flew Rhaegal into support.


Viserion charged the second chariot doing three wounds...


While the Wolves went into the back of the Swordmasters. Ominously, Mag had moved up with Lady Val...


The tactics board was full, with Illyrio on the House of Undying off picture...


Mag smacked the Swordmasters down to two wounds...


Before Wun Wun finished them off. Though he was badly wounded from Rhaegal's attack


END OF TURN 2

TARGARYENS 4 VP's (2 units, 2 objectives)

FREEFOLK 2 VP's (2 units)

BOARD AT END OF TURN 2


Drogon held the left but had a savage giant bearing down on him


The Stormcrows held the right while Rhaegal looked to be in real trouble with Mag and Wun Wun


TURN 3

Nathan activated first and put Ygritte on the swords and activated Wun Wun


He smacked the Dragon but I saved well and only took 3 wounds...


Wun Wun was on two wounds, so I activated Rhaegal before he died.


And again rolled a three on the D3 doing the required four wounds to kill him...


Unfortunately this allowed Nathan to play Last of their Kind to get Mag to charge in and kill Rhaegal


Nathan then used Val to move Mag up towards the flank of the Stormcrows. So I took the opportunity to activate Viserion and finish off the chariot. And then play Overrun to charge the Wolves...


I only caused two wounds but couldnt complain given the three's I'd been rolling... Mag flanked the Stormcrows but didn't kill them and I passed the panic check


I took the bags with Pyat Pree and healed the Stormcrows up a bit...


On my left, Nathan played enrage on the Giant taking two wounds so that he hit harder. He did manage to get five hits, but I then healed three with Illyrio.


After the Shadowcat charged in. I took one hit but made the save. I then retreated out of combat...


On my left side, Drogon activated and attacked the Savage Giant...


And yet again, I rolled the required 3 on the dice...


Another one bites the dust. In the centre, Viserion attacked the wolves again thanks to Daenerys's Dracarys...


And then Surged forth onto the centre objective...


END OF TURN 3

TARGARYENS 10 VP's (5 units, 5 objectives)

FREEFOLK 3 VP's (3 units)

TURN 4



Start of turn I took the horses to move Viserion 2" away from Mag and deny Nathan the opportunity to use it. When Nathan activated to take the Letters I played Swift reposition to move a further 2" away


I then decided I might as well do something more positive and charged the Shadowcat with the Stormcrows. I killed it easily enough, and turn to face Mag...


Mag hurled a boulder instead of the attack from sword and dropped the Stormcrows down from seven men to Strong Belwas on his own. And next activation charged in...


It wasn't a fair fight and Belwas was splatted...


With two Dragons left on the left, and Mag alone on the right, the game ended. A brief and bloody affair


END OF TURN 4

TARGARYENS 12 VP's (5 Units, 7 objectives)

FREEFOLK 5VP's (4 units, 1 objective)


Another great game, and with hindsight the Stormcrows should have dropped the token on Mag when he attacked at end of Turn 3 but it wouldn't have changed the result. Nathan was very gung ho, and used his chariots piecemeal but again, the rolls of 3 on the D3's when I required them to kill units (Both chariots second time round, Varamyr, Wun Wun and the Savage Giant). Having said that, teh cahriots wiped out one unit easily, as did Mag and Wun wun combo... Dropping Varamyr and a chariot early gave me an activation advantage so allowed Drogon to take a charge before hitting back, Had it been the other way, the result would have been different.


There was some great prize support at Leodis events (as usual) and distributed heavily towards newer players. Gavin at Gaming Figures supplied the bulk of the box support.



Third place

ELLIOT "ELL" COULBECK

Unbeaten with Nights Watch

(Keep an eye out for a report on Elliot's excellent blog)



2nd Place

Steven "PsychoSte" Connor

Unbeaten with Starks


1st Place

Brian McGonigle

(Unbeaten with Targs and unbeaten by Ste thanks to avoiding him)

My next report will be our two lists to see if Ste would have trumped me in a four game event



A fantastic event topped off with me finishing first, but that really was secondary as it was great to see so many new faces at a large event, all of whom enjoyed it given the rapturous cheers at the end.  Everyone got something, and the newer guys got the biggest and best, so Congratulations to Paul and Thomas on a great, beginner friendly event. And many thanks to my three excellent opponents and apologies again for my incredibly lucky dice...

RESULTS ON ASOIF STATS

OTHER UK EVENTS


I missed the CYMRU GT last year but is allegedly on a par socially with Scotland, so Greg and I are going. Alas, the event is now sold out but there is a reserve list in case of drop outs...



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Moon Cafe, Great Dover Street, London, UK


SUNDAY 24th JUNE


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common Ground Games, Cowane Street, Stirling, UK


SUNDAY JULY 29th


------------------------------------------------------------------------


Northampton
Dates as above

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlefield Hobbies, South March, Daventry, UK


Saturday July 15th


-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTOYMENT GAMES 

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE TOURNAMENT 

SUNDAY 10th SEPTEMBER in POOLE 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there are The Circuit Events run by ASOIF Stats and Carlo should be well supported.

The three events are as follows:

London Open – April 15TH/16TH
Birmingham GT – May 27TH/28TH
Leeds GT August 5TH/6TH

You can find a joint rules pack – including information on how to purchase a ticket - for the events here:




THE LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT

Saturday 30th September & Sunday 1st October

Paul Winter has taken over running this event and its the biggest one!!!




I WILL BE RUNNING THE RIBBLE RUMBLE AGAIN THIS YEAR. IT'S GOING TO BE 
DECEMBER 2nd/3rd 2023




 

No comments:

Post a Comment