Thursday 22 June 2023

Welsh GT Warm-Up: Targaryens v Lannisters

 Thursday Night down at Justplay saw Andy "Lord Robbo" Robinson turn up with his fully painted Lannisport army, which looks awesome, with me running one of my dual Marselen lists for the Welsh GT...

Andy's list consisted of the following


Lannister Halberdiers with Adam Marbrand (C)

Lannisport City Watch with Watch Captain

Lannisport City Watch with Watch Captain

Lannisport City Watch with Watch Captain

NCU's

Varys, Tyrion and Petyr Baelish

Andy explained his thoughts for building the list, and I have to say it was tough.

On activating, he could do an attack with plus 8 auto hits (if engaged). And wouldn't take panic checks

if had more ranks than he attacker (all 3 dragons)


I was running my simple tried and tested Dragons...

Unsullied Swordmasters with Marselen - Mother's Men Commander (C)
Drogon
Viserion
Rhaegal

NCU's

Illyrio Mopatis, Daenerys Targaryen & Pyat Pree

THE LANNISPORT CITY WATCH


ANDY "LORD ROBBO" ROBINSON


TERRAIN: Weirwood, Palisade, Palisade far right and stakes near right

Lannisters: Lannisport City Watch, Halberdiers with Adam, Lannisport City Watch, Lannisport City Watch.

Targaryens: Viserion, Unsullied Swordmasters with Marselen, Drogon, Rhaegal


TURN 1

Andy let me go first, so I took the letters and weakened the right Lannisport Watch. Andy took the bags and removed the weakened token. I took horses and moved up the Swordmasters. I then set my stall out and marched them to the centre, with the palisade blocking any real threat from Andy next turn.


Unfortunately, I hadn't blocked the swords so Andy was able to march up and then took the swords to destroy it. 

Board at End of turn1


Tactics board at End of Turn1


TURN 2

Andy opted to take the far left objective on his first activation. I decided to take the fight to the enemy and after doing War Cry and making the Halberdiers panicked before using Devastating Impact to make the City Watch I charged Panicked and Vulnerable...


And a devastating impact it was, killing six of the Watchmen as Andy decided to keep his order and not improve his armour (as he wanted to attack back and expected to before his dice failed him).


And with Vicious from the centre objective, the City Watch lost another three to a failed panic...


Andy had the watch lash out, killing four Swordmasters...


He then made a charge into my flank with the Halberdiers...


Five of the seven attacks hit, with sundering in the flank but I saved two on a 6+. So I lost three  but healed one for passing my panic check...


I then used Supply Aid to take three wounds on Rhaegal allowing me to heal four on the Swordmasters before having Pyat Pree take the Swords...


Allowing Andy to do three hits on Rhaegal using Varys...


The Green guy took two more wounds...


I used the Swords to have the Unsullied attack the three remaining watch, who used their defence boost order but Andy still managed to fail three and the unit died...


I then played Swift reposition to drop Drogon back 2" away from the right side City watch


And then he flew over and flanked the Halberdiers dropping five from the attack 


and using his panic token to reroll the D3 to drop another two.


The Lannisport City Watch on the right (whom I'd weakened from the Letters). This reulsted in one hit from attacks plus three from their order...


I saved three, and the lost model was returned due to Marselens Dauntless...


I then send Viserion sniffing around the rear of the Lannister Halberdiers before crashing in


and wiping them out in one fell swoop...


Tactics Board End of Turn 2

(Andy left his Varys at home, hence the Kingsguard stand in)


END OF TURN 2

TARGARYEN'S 4 VP's (2 units, 2 objectives)

LANNISTERS 1 VP (1 objective)

TURN 3

Board at Start of Turn 3


I took the swords


to bring on some Freedmen with Devotees of the Dragon. Andy had Varys target  Rhaegal again (who had healed one wound from the objective he controlled). I saved two of the three hits,so was back on having taken 5 wounds


I had Daenerys heal the Swordmasters after the City Watch killed four while Illyrio


healed Rhaegal...


After the Freedmen had joined in, my Swordmasters killed seven of the Watch


Before a weakened Rhaegal flew into the rear to finish the job


Although the weakened token nearly did me (thanks for the extra dice Freedmen)


I didn't kill them all and Andy was chuffed to bits to pass the Vicicous, rear panic check on the required 11+


So I then flew Drogon into the fray and gobbled up the two remaining Lannisters...


All eyes turned left to the last remaining Lannister unit...


END OF TURN 3

TARGARYENS 7 VP's (3 units, 4 objectives)

LANNISTERS 2 VP's (2 objectives)

TURN 4

The City Watch retreated away as I moved up, with a crown panic attack being passed.


Tactics Board end of Turn 4


END OF TURN 4

TARGARYENS 9 VP's (3 units, 6 objectives)

LANNISTERS 3 VP's (3 objectives)

BOARD END OF TURN 4


TURN 4

I let Andy run out of activations before sending Drogon in, killing 5.


Then sent Viserion in killing another four (Andy Lashed out causing 4 wounds to Viserion) before Daenerys used Dracarys to wipe out the Lannisters...


END OF TURN 5 (and Game)

HOUSE TARGARYEN 10 VP's (4 units, 6 objectives)

HOUSE LANNISTERS 3 VP's (3 objectives)

It was a bit one sided as games go, with Andy cursing my dice (I did roll a phenomenal amount of three's on the D3) and Andy didn't get a chance to really hit home with his City Watch 8 auto hits (think it happened once on Swordmasters but his ranks were depleted so didn't work as well). I concentrated my Dragons and the Unsullied were awesome. Andy losing two units in Turn 2 really made it a bit of an anti climax but we played through and just hope I can be as lucky at Wales weekend of 1st July...


OTHER UK EVENTS


I missed the CYMRU GT last year but is allegedly on a par socially with Scotland, so Greg and I are going. Definitely running Dragons now. Alas, the event is now sold out but there is a reserve list in case of drop outs...



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bad Moon Cafe, Great Dover Street, London, UK


SUNDAY 24th JUNE


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common Ground Games, Cowane Street, Stirling, UK


SUNDAY JULY 29th


------------------------------------------------------------------------


Northampton
Dates as above

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Battlefield Hobbies, South March, Daventry, UK


Saturday July 15th


-----------------------------------------------------------------------


COVENTRY GT

11/12th NOVEMBER

Centre AT7, Bell Green Road, Coventry UK

TICKET LINK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTOYMENT GAMES 

A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE TOURNAMENT 

SUNDAY 10th SEPTEMBER in POOLE 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there are The Circuit Events run by ASOIF Stats and Carlo should be well supported.

The three events are as follows:

London Open – April 15TH/16TH
Birmingham GT – May 27TH/28TH
Leeds GT August 5TH/6TH

You can find a joint rules pack – including information on how to purchase a ticket - for the events here:




THE LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT

Saturday 30th September & Sunday 1st October

Paul Winter has taken over running this event and its the biggest one!!!




I WILL BE RUNNING THE RIBBLE RUMBLE AGAIN THIS YEAR. IT'S GOING TO BE 
DECEMBER 2nd/3rd 2023



No comments:

Post a Comment