Friday 4 August 2023

Conquest: The Last Argument of Kings. Two 750 point battle reports

 So after last week's defeat to Andy's evil Spire list, I face off against Chris' City States, before he then faced the Spire...

Chris has started painting his City States, going for a turquoise cloak for his Polemarch and "Lochagos" officer...


Chris's Army of 745 consisted of a Polemarch leading 5 stands of Hoplites, 3 Minotaur Thyreans and 3 stands of Phalangites led by a Lochagos officer. 

I had a Blooded as Warlord, with Aspect of the Bear, Reyngeir, the god Speir and Curse of the Vargr. Essentially, he is a Brute and hits hard. He led 5 Ugrs, with a second unit of 4 Ugr and a unit of 3 Werewolves.

We were playing the same First blood Scenario as it was 750pts



TURN 1 & 2

Turn 1 saw me delay the Werewolves and nothing able to come on for Chris. So Turn 2, I brought on my Warlord's Ugr's and failed to get the other two units on. Chris brought on his Warlord and his Hoplites, seizing the far right objective.



Chris scored 3 VP's for having that objective...

TURN 3


I got both my units on thanks to my Warlord's "Call the Hunt" Supremacy Ability. Chris got his Phalangites on, but not his Minotaurs. My Warlord's Ugr's took the centre right objective while my four strong unit took the left while my Werewolves sped up on the left of the buildings facing the phalangites


that Chris had advancing on the left objective


With Chris's sitting on the far right scoring again, my Ugr's pulled back the score to 6-6 all

TURN 4

We both had equal activations, and both of us took or held  two zones, Chris with his infantry and me with my Ugr's. 


The Minotaurs came up and faced off against my large unit


While my Werewolves marched up to threaten the Phalangites next turn


My Ugr's sat back on the objective, in response to Chris and Andy saying I dont play objectively...


And the Hoplites and my Ugr's and both Warlords played the objective game...


With both of us scoring 6 points, we tied moved onto 12-12 each


If I got to go first, the Werewolves would charge the Phalangites, but there would be a risk of the Minotaurs flanking me...


TURN 5

I won the roll off... and charged!!!


The Phalangites cancelled my impact hits and also denied me the ability to inspire but with 18 attacks, I scored 6 hits...


But Chris managed to make a few saves before his resolve


but failed enough to lose a stand, meaning I contested the zone as it stood. The Phalangites attacked back scoring 3 wounds...


Chris didn't move up the Minotaurs to flank the Werewolves, as that would have exposed his rear to my Ugr's. Contesting the objective allowed me to edge ahead 18-15 on victory points...

TURN 6

I got the first activation again, and my Werewolves attacked (but only after Andy pointed out I regenerated the three wounds they'd suffered). I was still unable to inspire though and scored only 3 wounds


Having already secured the 3 points with my 4 Ugr unit, and Chris only going to be scoring 3 as I moved up my Warlords unit to block any attack on the Werewolves but also to see what the Minotaur Thyreans could do


Well, they hit hard to say the least. 9 impact hits with brutal impact 1, followed by 16 (with leader) cleave 3, clash 4 (on the charge)... Yeah, they hit damn hard, breaking my Ugr's


With us both scoring another three points, and my Werewolves still contesting the game ended with

NORDS 21 VP's         CITY STATES 18 VP's


Well, I played the objectives but really was more than luck by design that the Warlord got on the objective and the Werewolves were able to contest and allow me to sneak it. We didn't really get to see the City States do much but they do have a "Strategic deck" that is pretty cool and are a strategic army. I I didn't expect the Minotaur's to hit as hard as they did, even though they look like they would. 


GAME 2

So for the third game, Andy faced Chris, same mission...

Chris's Army was as above,  745pts consisting of a Polemarch leading 5 stands of Hoplites, 3 Minotaur Thyreans and 3 stands of Phalangites led by a Lochagos officer. 

Andy ran a Pheromancer Warlord(205pts worth): Suppress survival Instinct, Cascading Degeneration, Plaguelord, Lvl 1-3 Flesh Retinue in 5 stands of Force grown Drones, with 3 Stands of Force grown Drones, 3 Brute Drones and an Abomination. 

With two light units, Andy felt this scenario was there for Chris to win as he could outscore Andy and play defensive,,,

TURNS 1 & 2

Only Andy got a unit on Turn 1, his smaller Force Grown Drones moving up on the left.


Chris's first unit on was his small Phalangites and he reversed his earlier deployment against me, with his unit taking the objective on his left, scoring 3 VP's


Andy had brought his Pheromancer and his large block of force grown Drones down centre, but again, they couldn't control a zone. Chris brought his Polemarch unit on and moved up into the woods as his Phalangites sat back.


Chris now sat on 6 VP's to Andy's nil...

                                                      TURN 3

The Polemarch and his Hoplites advanced out the Woods to seize another zone


All units were now on, with Andy brining the Brute drones on on his left and finally scoring while the Abomination went on the right to go after the five point zone held by the Phalangites. Chris brought the Minotaurs on centrally.


Chris had a solid defensive line as Andy moved his forces up.


Andy was a bit delayed with bringing his forces together given they're speeds...


Andy had scored 3 VP's but Chris was well ahead on 9 VP's

TURN 4

Chris was out activated but kept rolling low so he was usually going first. He drew back the Phalangites to keep the Abomination at bay, Chris brought up the Brutes level with his small unit of FG Drones.


As Chris set up for the right side with his Hoplites, Andy made a 50/50 charge on the Minotaurs. he rolled well but Chris did too saving several of the hits and taking three wounds in total...


Andy had left the objective, so the turn ended with Chris on 15 VP's to Andy's 3 VP's

TURN 5

Chris went first, taking 14 hits from Andy's Decay. This killed a Minotaur, the remaining pair dropping just 4 FG drones due to some bad dice...


Andy moved his smaller Force grown drones into the zone, to bait the Hoplites but Chris didnt take it as he had more stands in the zone. Small error from Andy and a crucial one.


The Abomination charged into the end zone and the Phalangites...


With only 2 impact hits and no inspiring, the Abomination still managed to kill a stand and thus secured the zone...


This brought the scores to Andy's Spire 8 VP's while Chris's City States were up on 18 VP's 

TURN 6

Chris reformed then charged the Force Grown drones, engaging but not attacking and denying Andy an opportunity to bring more stands in...


The Pheromancer looked on as but couldn't change the outcome, even as the Abomination finished off the Phalangites...


END OF TURN 6

SPIRES 13 VP's       CITY STATES 21 VP's

Chris played a sound strategic battle and beat Andy's decaying and regenerating army. Playing the scenario is sometimes the way to defeat the better, harder army and the City States are certainly not an easy army to use (like Nords). They are very nuanced and I know Chris is looking forwrad to seeing the Chariot when its out. Had the Minotaurs got the charge into the Pheromancer, they could have ravaged them but Andy took chances and did enough to almost swing the game...

END OF 750 POINT ROUND

NORDS 1 Win, 1 Loss

SPIRE 1 Win, 1 Loss

CITY STATES 1 Win, 1 Loss

No comments:

Post a Comment