Thursday 27 July 2023

CONQUEST: LAST ARGUMENT OF KINGS 750pts NORDS v SPIRE

 So after a summer break from Conquest, Chris, Andy and I are running a round robin, slow grow competition between ourselves, for me to build up my Nords and Chris to do his City States. Andy is in it to cause us pain with his dirty Spire lists...

First up was my Nords v Spire...

I had a Blooded as Warlord, with Aspect of the Bear, Reyngeir, the god Speir and Curse of the Vargr. Essentially, he is a Brute and hits hard. He led 5 Ugrs, with a second unit of 4 Ugr and a unit of 3 Werewolves.


The Werewolves were printed by a friend, and are awesome looking for my Brute themed list


They also scale perfectly well



Andy's list was as below

Pheromancer Warlord(205pts worth): Suppress survival Instinct
Cascading Degeneration, Plaguelord, Lvl 1-3 Flesh Retinue in 5 stands of Force grown Drones, with 3 Stands of Force grown Drones, 3 Brute Drones and an Abomination. 

We were playing the Broken lines scenario







TURNS 1 & 2

Turn 1 saw me bring on my werewolves on my left and Andy His Pheromancers FG Drones on my right. Turn 2 saw me bring on my Ugrs to face them off, as Andy brought on his small FG drones unit alongside his Warlords unit


I was hoping ot use the Werewolves to draw out his Abomination later


As it was, end of turn saw the Werewolves facing off against some Brute Drones...


TURN 3

I won first activation and charged the Brutes with the Werewolves. I didn't take my Bloodlust test, but in reading it, it wouldn't have made any difference. I did to see if I would pass, and I was ok.


I cut down one of the Brutes...


On the right, Andy moved up his small FG drones then charged to pin my 4 Ugrs in place


My whole force was on and awaiting the Abomination. My large unit of Ugr would go for Andy's Pheromancer


My right UGR scored 3pts for controlling the zone.

TURN 4

The Werewolves had lost a stand when the Brutes attacked, and sure enough Andy brought the big fella in to support. My Werewolves activated first, but rolled poorly and Andy didn't even lose a Brute.


He then healed the wounds from the Pheromancer activating and improved the small unit of FG drones resolve. That didnt stop my Ugr's smashing eight of them to the ground. Sadly, the regenerate 4 when they activate, so healed a stand...


The Abomination flanked my Werewolves...


I needed at least two 1's to save (before resolve)


The Abomination proceeded to eat my new models... Shame!!!


Andy elected to not charge my Ugrs (as he was worried about my Blooded and his Ugr's)


The Brutes moved into a zone, so we both scored three this round putting me 6-3 ahead


TURN 5

My Ugr's got first activation and sadly left one little Spireling alone


Andy brought the Abomination up to threaten my big unit of Ugr's next turn, so I had to turn and face it.


And on my Blooded's activation, he moved to the front. Weren't sure this was allowable, but seemed to make sense give he could jump out to another unit


With that unit now facing the wrong way, Andy charged his large FG block into my Ugr's contesting teh zone, allowing him to draw level at 6-6

TURN 6

I got the first draw again and charged in to the Abomination. Sadly, I clipped the woods so lost my impact hits which would have been great (the blooded had Impact 6 and Brutal impact 2). I did eight wounds on the Abomination.


On the right flank, I'd lost an Ugr to the large units charge last turn.


As I activated, Andy's Decay kicked in, where an enemy regiment takes hits based on enemy stands in contact with it. I reasoned this would be 4, plus 6, plus 4 for 14 in total.


Andy reasoned it would be 24 in total, as some of my stands were in contact with two enemy stands. We agreed my interpretation, but would welcome any correction if I was wrong?


I thogut fourteen was bad enough, but then made nine saves so was pretty chuffed


Still lost an Ugr, but my attacks finished off the smaller unit and dropped five from the larger one...


I even survived the attack back. The Abomination managed to down two of my Warlord's unit...


As the Brute Drones closed in ready for next turn...


First turn next turn would be a real game decider, with the Brute in the zone taking Andy ahead for the first time 9-6


TURN 7

Andy won first activation for first time and his Abomination cut down two more Ugrs, breaking my unit. So I rallied, and attacked back, easily taking the few wounds left and felling the beast...



Still, I knew what was coming...


Although Andy did do his Pheromancer next to heal up his FG drones...


Before smashing down my last Ugr and forcing my Blooded to flee...


I then activated my last model, who took 10 decay hits...


And keeled over...


END OF TURN 7 (& Game)

SPIRE 11 VP's

NORDS 7 VP's

Ok, so we ignored the scenario and went for each other. Andy's Pheromancers was awesome, healing a ot but decay 6 for him and 4 for each stand. Nasty. Having said that, my blooded was a beast and but for the woods he'd have dropped the Abomination on the charge with his impact hits. A good tart for Andy and Chris is fretting that his 750 list has nothing to deal with either of our forces. I'll report the next two games next week

No comments:

Post a Comment