Friday 22 September 2023

LGT ELO warm Up: TARGARYEN V MARTELL

 So with the London Grand Tournament coming up weekend after next, I thought I'd break out my Targaryens for the ELO event on the Friday and faced Elliot's Martells again down at Justplay...

Next table Andy and Ray were having a game but the "Booze brothers" (Colin and Ste) hit Aden's den and had a jolly old piss up...


Elliot said he was looking forward to seeing how dragons play, and we randomised the game mode and ended up with A Dance of Dragons. Elliot was running Harmen Uller as below

Sunspear Royal Guard with Harmen Uller - Lord of Hellholt (C) Martell Spearmen Sand Skirmishers Starfall Knights NCU's
Oberyn Martell, Ellaria Sand & Tyene Sand


I ran the list below
Unsullied Swordmasters with Marselen - Mother's Men Commander (C)
Drogon
Rhaegal
Viserion
NCU's

Daenerys Targaryen, Illyrio Mopatis & Pyat Pree

SET UP

TERRAIN: Corpse Pile, Bog, Weirwood and Stakes

MARTELLS: Starfall Knights, Ullers Sunspear Guard, Spearmen, Dune Vypers

TARGARYENS: Drogon, Viserion, Marselen's Unsullied, Rhaegal


TURN 1

I took the first turn and had Daenerys take the letters, weakening the Starfall Knights


Not a bad first hand, and figured Devotees would be out next...


Sure enough, Elliot took the Horses to move up the Duen Vypers on my right, so Illyrio took the swords and I played the card


We played through the board and I lost 3 wounds to the crown attack on the newly arrived Freedmen


Elliot surrounded me as I closed around the centre. I planned to hit the Starfall knights hard as they seemed the biggest threat


TURN 2

Elliot took the Horses and advanced up the spearmen, after I played Blood of the Dragon. He also Poisoned the swords... I then activated the Swordmasters to take the centre objective, and Elliot hit them with Rising Temperatures... I hate that card!!! elliot took the House of Undying and I lost a Swift reposition card. I healed my Freedmen with the bags.


I sent Viserion in first against the Starfall Knights, doing 4 wounds,


The Spearmen charged into my Swordmasters


I lost four men but passed the panic healing one to retain the objective. I moved up the Freedmen to prevent a Sunspear Guard charge


The Knights attacked Viserion, who took four wounds and played Sudden Retreat to retreat away, taking the objective.


I passed with Daenerys to avoid being poisoned...


The Royal Guard easily brushed off the Freedmen, but because of the positioning I couldnt tag team with my Dragons. So Rhaegal hit the spearmen while Drogon hit Ullers Guards for 4 wounds on each


END OF TURN 2

TARGARYENS 2 VP's (2 objectives)

MARTELLS 1 VP (1 objective)


TURN 3

I charged Viserion into the Starfall Knights again and dropped them down a bit. Elliot took the letters, so i used Daenerys to Dracarys...


And left the Knight on one wound thanks to Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken...


The tactics board filled up but I still had Illyrio left...


Drogon attacked the Sunspear Royal Guard


killing five


But they activated and as Elliot had crown, healed two for full attacks, scoring 3 wounds on Drogon


Illyrio healed him


Rhaegal attacked the Spearmen after they killed two Unsullied, who passed their check and healed up before Elliot then played Spiteful Truth to heal the Spearmen up...


So Rhaegal ate them, with 3 left alive...


The Swordmasters then wiped them out


Before Overrunning into the flank of the Royal Guard and using fire and Blood for Sundering and Vicious. 8 attacks with Precision too!!!


Rising Temperatures as I need 4+ 's...


I ended up doing one wound due to Hardened, which was disappointing...


Rhaegal lost 3 wounds to Dune Vyper shooting and Viserion took a wound as the Starfall Knights decided to simply attack.


END OF TURN 3

TARGARYEN 5 VP's (1 unit, 4 objectives)

MARTELL 2 VP's (2 objectives)

TURN 4

Elliot took the bags to heal up the Sunspear Royal Guard. I decided to sacrifice  Pyat Pree by taking the swords, to have Viserion attack the one wound Knight


I hit and killed him, moving over to support Drogon. Rhoynish Vengeance now kicked in on Drogon and my Swordmasters


The Royal Guard dropped my Swordmaster to Marsalen, so Rhaegal charged into their flank taking 4 hits from Oberyn influence


Elliot took Horses to move 2" with his Dune Vypers to get closer to Marselen, so I took the crowns with Illyrio and healed up Rhaegal by 3 wounds. Elliot took the Letters. I activated my Swordmasters, and retreated away...


The Dune Vypers moved up and shot Rhaegal in the rear. Five hits were scored, and I'd save on sixes...


Ok, so my lucky dice were still with me...


Danaerys took the House of the Undying and scored five wounds, killing Uller and his Guard


I also saved the 3 hits from Oberyn's influence


Viserion dropped back 2" away from the centre as my remaining wounded forces faced the Dune Vypers.


TACTICS BOARD END OF TURN 4



END OF TURN 4

TARGARYENS 9 VP's (3 units, 6 objectives)

MARTELLS 3 VP's ( 3 objectives)

TURN 5

Rhaegal activated, moved up into the flank and charged the Dune Vypers


Unfortunately for me, Elliot played "Set for Charge" and his attacks killed the beast. This allowed him to surge forth 2" and use his order to shoot Drogon, causing 3 wounds.  He then start of Turn marked Drogon, took the swords and killed Drogon!!!


THE VYPERS HAVE FANGS!!! And a pair of Dragon Skulls!!!


To add insult to injury, with a 2" move I couldnt get Marselen out of range (and couldnt heal as Rising Temps had stopped that). I took the horses and moved a bit but stood there as the Vypers shot him down. But in a petulent move, after he had finished activating, I took the crown and the Dune Vypers failed the panic check, dropping the objective...


END OF TURN 5 (& GAME)

TARGARYENS 10 VP's (3 Units, 7 objectives)

MARTELLS 6 VP's (3 Units, 3 objectives)

Well that's what overconfidence does for you!!! I was so comfortable end of Turn 4 I went for the kill and soundly got my butt kicked. I mean ok, I won but it didn't feel like that as Elliot flurried cards and killed 3 units in rapid succession. It was a very good, tactical game and while I out objectived Elliot, it was a slog as I didnt get to gang up with the Dragons as I'd planned. Rising Temperatures is simply awesone, especially with Rhoynish vengeance on too. Still, my luck was still good with the dice and the dragons are just fun to play...

OTHER UK EVENTS

                              



Northampton
Dates as above

--------------------------------------------------

Morton Park Way, Darlington, UK

Sat Nov 11 2023


MORE INFO



-----------------------------------------------------------------------


COVENTRY GT

11/12th NOVEMBER

Centre AT7, Bell Green Road, Coventry UK

TICKET LINK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------


You can find a joint rules pack – including information on how to purchase a ticket - for the events here:






THE LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT

Saturday 30th September & Sunday 1st October

Paul Winter has taken over running this event and its the biggest one!!!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEODIS GAMES

26th NOVEMBER

BATTLE IN THE CRIMSON SNOW


TICKET LINK TO FOLLOW


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIBBLE RUMBLE 

(SOLD OUT)

Reserve list in place if interested...

ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT

DECEMBER 2nd/3rd 2023

3 Games Saturday, 2 Sunday 2.25hrs each game. Nice chilled lists appreciated, newcomers welcome.




2024

THE WELSH GT 2024



No comments:

Post a Comment