Thursday 5 October 2023

3 Game Battle report: 2023 ELO event at LGT

So Ray, Greg and I headed down to London early on Friday for the 28 player ELO event, with the other 3 Wardens coming down later in the day/evening.

Ray was quite excited as due to family commitments, it was his first "staying over" event and he also got to meet his hero Mickey, embarrassingly enough for everyone but Ray and his brass neck. Was going to say I suppose being a Newcastle fan he is used to it, but that was before they battered PSG...



Worth mentioning Mickeys input to prize support for the 2 day LGT, with faction tactics boards and Vargo Hoat Goat Head figure.

So with running Greyjoys for the main event, I wanted something small and easy to play for the ELO (last year it was Mag and Mammoths), so this year it was Marselen and Dragons...

The List below I ran for all three games
 (the other list was a swap with Walder Frey for Pyat Pree in event I was playing 2 NCU's
Unsullied Swordmasters with Marselen - Mother's Men Commander (C) Drogon Rhaegal Viserion NCU's Daenerys Targaryen, Illyrio Mopatis and Pyat Pree
GAME 1

PASCAL "ORGMO" SIDDONS

TARGARYENS

SCENARIO: FIRE AND BLOOD

I played (battered) Pascal last year at the LGT and had seen him at
Kingdom Gamingand Wales earlier this year
(he battered my Nights Watch at Kingdom) so we were one apiece
and was surprise he was running Targaryens rather than his Baratheons
(though he ran them in the LGT). He is running an outdoor event in May 2024
War in Whispering Woods (more info at events list at end)


Pascal was running Khal Drogo in a highly mobile list.

Drogo's Bloodriders with Khal Drogo - The Great Khal (C) Dothraki Hrakkars Dothraki Outriders with Fortune Seeker Dothraki Screamers with Jorah Mormont - The Exiled Knight NCU's
Illyrio Mopatis, Barristan Selmy and Quaithe TERRAIN: Weirwood, Stakes, Palisade, Stakes

TARGARYEN: Screamers with Jorah, Outriders, Drogo's Bloodriders. (Hrakkars left off in outflank)

TARGARYEN: Drogon, Viserion, Marselen's Swordmasters, Rhaegal


TURN 1

Pascal went first and had Barristan take the bags


 allowing the Outriders to plink a pair of wounds on Viserion


I had Supply aid and used it early to heal up the wounds on the Gold dragon...


I had taken the horses to move up a bit, while Pascal took the swords and shot again, dropping three Unsullied Swordmasters


I passed the morale check and healed one as Viserion swooped over the palisade and smacked into Jorah and his Screamers.


I rolled 5 wounds and then Pascal generously failed his panic check for a further two wounds


The screamers activated and moved centrally to deny Drogon a charge, and their attack back was 3 hits but I saved them all...


Tactics board filled up


A Dracarys attack was healed up and I lost a wound to a passed morale check



Rhaegal popped over the palisade with a march, playing Unstoppable Advance to weaken the Outrider and Screamers


With a Dragon engaged and another ready to pounce, Pascal charged with Drogo at the Swordmasters, but failed the charge by two inches...


This allowed me to charge with Marselen and the Unsullied dropping a Bloodrider and another down to one wound. With Drogon left, Pascal spent a Quaithe token to leave him sitting there as I wasn't giving Drogo a free attack


TURN 2

I had Pyat Pree take the swords and attack with the Swordmasters (after the Hrakkars turned up on my right flank)


My eight attacks v seven wounds on the Bloodriders


Re-rolling attacks left me with 4 auto Precision wounds and Pascal with 4 saves


In fairness, he made three and then took the bags to heal up to six wounds. I attacked again with the Swordmasters and dropped them back to Drogo alone.


Illyrio healed them up to six again, before Rhaegal swooped up and over the Palisades to flank them, causing four wounds and then Drogo failed his panic check!!!


I rerolled the white dice but it came up a one again. Drogo activated and did a wound on Rhaegal, but I saved the other hits. I then attacked with a Daenerys Dracarys to finish the Great Khal off...


And over ran on a 5+ to smack into the Hrakkars, who then proceeded to attack Rhaegal and killed it...


Viserion failed to kill Jorah, leaving him on one wound


Before the Hrakkars swung around Marselen's flank...


And absolutely mutilated the elite Unsullied!!! I failed the panic check with snake eyes too


Drogon braved the stakes, taking two wounds but failed to reach the Hrakkars and bail Marselen out...


The Outriders moved up and shot into Viserion's flank doing four wounds


It may not have escaped your notice, but about this time we realised we hadn't been using the extra VP when our commander activated. Nor actually had we marked units. So we decided to carry on regardless....

END OF TURN 2

TARGARYEN CAVALRY 1 VP

TARGARYEN DRAGONS 1 VP

BOARD AT END OF TURN 3


TURN 3

Pascal took the swords and the Hrakkars finished off Marselen, before I used Dracarys to have Viserion eat Jorah, turning to face the Outriders.


It didn't save them as the Outriders shot off the bags, I healed Viserion before they activated to kill him.


The Hrakkars clawed savagely at Drogon, who savaged them back but Illyrio healed that up for both of us


END OF TURN 3

TARGARYEN CAVALRY 3 VP's

DROGON 2 VP's

TURN 4

With first activation, I took the swords and rolled the three on the D3 to finish off the Hrakkars...


I surged forth towards the Outriders rather than away. They shot and did a single wound on activation


I then activated and following a swift reposition card, was able to flank and attack the Outriders


But they passed their panic, before taking the horses and using Field Control to retreat away and weaken Drogon.


I pursued the Outriders with Drogon ready for next turn with another Swift Reposition


TURN 5

With us both sitting on 3 VP's each and no real room to out run a Dragon, or also to shoot off the swords, the Outriders activated and shot Drogon ineffectually. He charged in and depleted the Horsemen, who healed as did I when attacked, and I did Dracarys and wiped out the Outriders, leaving a valiant Hedge Knight to face his end alone...


TURN 6

Well, we were still tied at 3 VP's each but with my first activation, I took the Horses with Daenerys to prevent the Hedge knight running away...


But it was academic, as Drogon finished off the Knight with his attack...



END OF TURN 6 (and GAME)

PASCAL'S TARGARYENS 3 VP's (3 Units)

BRIAN's TARGARYENS 4 VP's (4 Units)

Another classic game with the big man, and very swingy too. I honestly thought I had it, then the Hrakkars gave Pascal the edge, before it went to one unit each. Close fought though it was, if Drogo had gotten his charge in I'm pretty sure my Dragons may not have had enough of an edge to sneak the win...


GAME 2

DEAN "LITTLEFINGER" ROTHWELL

TARGARYENS

SCENARIO: A CLASH OF KINGS


I've seen Dean at a few events but never played him before, but his reputation preceded him. He was running Greyworm, but had his own Rhaegal and Daenerys Unburnt too.



Golden Company Swordsmen with Grey Worm - Unsullied Commander (C)
Dothraki Screamers with Glory Seeker
Dothraki Screamers with Jorah Mormont - The Exiled Knight
Rhaegal NCU's
Illyrio Mopatis, Lord Varys and Daenerys Targaryen



Terrain: Palisade, Weirwood, Weirwood and Corpse pile

Dean's Targaryens: Jorah's Screamers, Golden Company, Bad Rhaegal, Knights Screamers

My Targaryen's: Viserion, Drogon, Unsullied Swordmasters, Good Rhaegal


TURN 1

Dean elected to go first, taking the Letters. I countered with horses to move the Unsullied up. Dean took bags, I had Pyat Pree take the House of Undying. Mu Unsullied marched up and took the centre, as Dean countered. Going first, I thrust Drogon up to give cause for concern


The tactics board mid turn...


After the Knight Screamers edged up, I flew Rhaegal right into the mix. Turn 2 was gonna be filled with choices!!!


TURN 2

I went first, activating Rhaegal to flank Greyworm's Golden Company. Dean used their "defensive" order to improve his morale, then thought better of it to go for the "attack" option. Regardless, Rhaegal killed six. I also war cry'ed to give a vulnerable. 


Turn 2 turned into a real hack and slash, as Dean took the swords to heal up with Illyrio, I took the bags with Daenerys to Dracarys attack, Dean took the horses to retreat, but Drogon sped in for the kill to wipe out Greyworm and the Golden Company.


Before Bad Rhaegal attacked Drogon, who I healed from Illyrio on the and played Sudden retreat before Rhaegal died to a Screamer charge...


I healed up with Illyrio on crown which saved Drogon but not Rhaegal...


Viserion then flew into the  Knights Screamers on a 4+ charge, doing 3 wounds.


And a further 3 from a failed panic check


Jorah's Screamers were up next, and after Rhaegal moved back with a Swift Reposition, the Andal and his men went for a desperate 5+ charge as they needed to be involved...


The full tactics board...


Cavalry move to build the tension....


Well rolled Dean, ya jammy, lucky git!!!


In fairness, I was lucky, as Viserion held on with a wound allowing Marselen and his Swordmasters to flank Jorah and his Screamers, leaving them on 4 wounds...


Before losing a rider to the failed panic. 

BOARD AT END OF TURN 2


END OF TURN 2

1 -1 (both scoring a unit destroyed)

TURN 3

Dean went first and took the Swords, with his Screamers killing Viserion


I used Supply Aid to heal up Drogon from the Swordmasters, before they activated and attacked Jorah.


Easily dispatching the Exiled Knight. they even left a bloodied smear on the mat


Marselen's Unsullied now had two tokens, plus I had one on from Blood of the Dragon for 9 attacks hitting on 2+. Dean had a little think, then healed up the Screamers. I took the Horses to edge back Drogon.


Then the Screamers charged in, or  Rhaegal failed a charge, but Drogon had enough room to flank the Screamers. It all was a bit mad and swirly...


END OF TURN 3

Dean's Targaryens: 2 VP's (2 units)

Brian's Targaryen's : 3 VP's (2 units, 1 objective)


TURN 4

I activated and had the Unsullied attack with their 8 attacks (I was down a rank) so I could use a card. It's fair to say I wasn't thrilled when it didn't help and the Screamers survived, dropping a man with a passed morale check and two more with Lash Out. Dean activated his Knight and he finished off my Swordmasters!!! 


So I took the swords and finished off the Knight, moving ahead 4-3 on points...


And left Drogon and Rhaegal circling one another. However the demise of the Swordmasters and me going first meant Dean now had the activation advantage...


Dean took the Bags, so I took the Horses and Drogon moved away to face it's fellow Dragon


Dean took the Letters and I moved all the way over to the left objective. Being ahead, Dean would either chase me down or lose...


Well, he came flying in after me!!!

END OF TURN 4

DEAN'S TARGARYEN'S: 3 VP's (3 units)

MY TARGARYEN'S: 5 VP's (3 units, 2 objectives)

TURN 5

DRAGON OFF!!!


We literally filled out  the tactics until Dean made the move and charged me, but with me first next turn and being worse off in Turn 5, I used Daenerys to retreat away rather than keep in the fight before healing up, as we both did. Rhaegal was on six wounds end of the round though whereas Drogon was fighting fit...

END OF TURN 5

DEAN'S TARGARYEN'S 4 VP's (3 units, 1 objective)

MY TARGARYEN's 6 VP's (3 units, 3 objectives)

TURN 6

I charged Drogon in, scoring 3 wounds and reducing Rhaegal to 3 wounds. Dean then rolled the panic dice, requiring 4+ and scoring ten but rolling 3 wounds. 


So I used the panic token to force a re-roll and Dean only went and rolled three for a dead RHAEGAL!


END OF TURN 6 (AND GAME)

DEAN'S TARGARYEN'S: 4 VP's (3 units, 1 objective)

MY TARGARYEN's 7VP's (4 units, 3 objectives)

That was awesome! As swingy, and unpredictable as the first match, Dean was great fun and very sanguine about the dice at the end. We simply sat in the middle and traded units, both rolling some above average charges and getting stuck in. Only in turn 4 did I have to tactically withdraw (fly away) as Dean had the advantage. Great game, and Dean didn't deserve the bad luck at the end...

GAME 3

Dominic "Violent Domgoose" Hill

Lannisters

SCENARIO: A GAME OF THRONES


Dom is a rare breed, in being one of the few Dead Meta Gaming players I haven't played before. But he always seems to be higher up than most, so figured he'd be tough. And he had a durty Lannister list...


Okay, so it's not that bad when you consider I'm running three juvenile dragons but his Pyromancers have more attacks than me...

Lannister Crossbowmen with Tywin Lannister - Lord of Casterly Rock (C)
Pyromancers with Assault Veteran
Pyromancers with Assault Veteran

Lannister Guardsmen NCU's
The High Sparrow, Pycelle & Tyrion Lannister
TERRAIN AND DEPLOYMENT

TERRAIN: Corpse pile, Weirwood, Corpse Pile, Weirwood

HOUSE LANNISTER: Pyromancers, Pyromancers, Crossbowmen, Guardsmen

HOUSE TARGARYEN: Rhaegal, Drogon, Viserion, Unsullied Swordmasters

After set up, I had a plan to reposition the Dragons and attack down the right, going
the guardsmen and crossbows. It seemed sensible to avoid the Pyromancers.


TURN 1

Dom activated first, at my behest as I recall. He took the letters and I countered with Horses to advance my Swordmasters up he right side. Dom took the bags while I took the House of Undying. The Guardsmen moved up, and I took the Crown. The crossbowmen held back.


My Unsullied Swordmasters were a little too obvious, but I hoped Dom would think I was bluffing.


As he advanced across the board, I swung everything to my right, as I was far more maneuverable

BOARD AT END OF TURN 1


TURN 2

I played Blood of the Dragon at the start of the turn, followed by War Cry to give the Guardsmen vulnerable as I activated the Unsullied. I charged in and did a total of 9 wounds. Dom took the horses and retreated away.


I flew Drogon up, then marched in between to give weakened tokens to both units in short range with Unstoppable Advance. Dom took the letters, so i took the bags to prevent the Guardsmen healing, before losing a card to the House on Undying


That left Pyat Pree to take the Crown and hit the Guardsmen...


Well, have to say that was a nice bonus, although Dom wasn't happy despite the thumbs up...


The central Pyromancers turned to face Drogon as I basked in the warmth of my cunning plan working...


Off the swords, the crossbows shot up the Swordmasters. And despite telegraphing it to me, and Greg having told me what happened to him when he played Dom the turn before...


Dom used Issue Commands to pass with Tywin's unit and have the Pyromancers charge Drogon, needing a 3+. I breathed a big sigh of relief when Dom rolled a 1 and couldn't move...


END OF TURN 2

HOUSE TARGARYEN 4 VP's (1 unit, 3 objectives)

HOUSE LANNISTER 1 VP (1 objective)

BOARD END OF TURN 2


TURN 3

Dom activated the Pyromancers and they successfully charged Drogon, doing several wounds...


and with a Hear me Roar, Drogon died from the panic check (somewhat ironically I suppose)


I took the Horses and moved Viserion up ready to pounce...


I also brought the Swordmasters back, still holding the objective but letting the slower Lannisters come to me, as Rhaegal moved then marched back to claim the right side objective.


Tactics board at End of Turn 3

I'd healed a lot as my Swordmasters had taken several crossbow attacks in the round


END OF TURN 3

HOUSE TARGARYEN 7 VP's (1 unit, 6 objectives)

HOUSE LANNISTER 2 VP's (1 unit, 1 objective)

I'd swung Viserion over to take the centre, as Dom couldn't attack everywhere at once


TURN 4

I took the Horses to move Viserion out of arc and threaten the pyromancers flank..


Dom used a second Issue Commands and the Pyromancers charged into the Swordmasters, wiping them out but staying back on the objective.


I have to admit, I was now on the back foot on the board as my Dragons couldn't support one another. I took both flank objectives as the Pyromancers went hunting my Dragons


END OF TURN 4

HOUSE TARGARYEN 9 VP's (1 unit, 8 objectives)

HOUSE LANNISTER 4 VP's (2 units, 2 objectives)

TACTICS BOARD  END OF TURN 4



TURN 5

Dom activated his right Pyromancers who came hurtling into Rhaegal's flank


I was lucky in that Dom rolled poorly, causing 3 or 4 wounds and I was unable to sudden retreat, as Counterplot failed. Still, I took the Horses and successfully moved out of a shift and shoot attack from the swords.


 I managed to avoid a sneaky subjugation of power attack on Viserion when he looked to shift from Swift reposition, putting him just outside shift and shoot range and then Viserion moved out of arc...


Dom had the activation advantage, but made an error in activating the Crossbows before I swooped  onto the centre. He hadn't realised little Tyrion hadn't been activated, and allowed me to move onto the centre without being shot up


Little Tyrion showing his true colours and helping the Targaryens...


BOARD AT END OF TURN 5


END OF TURN 5 (and GAME)

HOUSE TARGARYEN 10 VP's (1 unit, 9 Objectives)

HOUSE LANNISTER 5 VP's (2 units, 3 objectives)

I very nearly cocked that up, and it was another great game. I got ahead on the points with a good Turn 2 and 3 and got over confident and Dom came at me with those Pyromancers like a man possessed. I have to say I was frantically fluttering Dragons about to avoid being hit by that green fire, and Dom was really cool about Tyrion which may have made a difference...

So I ended up with 3 Crushing victories, placing me second overall at the event. Three brilliant games against good, fun players that really could have went either way at times. Nice chilled event, no hassles and well organised by Paul and his team.



Jacob came top with his FreeFolk, running Mance and Harma.


And I got a silver medal and certificate.


Before the six of us Wardens headed back to our luxury accommodation next door to the event. To be fair, they weren't too bad and for £10 for the weekend I didnt complain (They had made an error double booking our cabins, so we had these at a real discount). And the weather was great, so that made it more enjoyable

(NEXT UP: LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT, PART 1.  FOUR GAMES WITH MY GREYJOYS)

OTHER UK EVENTS

                              



Northampton
Dates as above

--------------------------------------------------

Morton Park Way, Darlington, UK

Sat Nov 11 2023


MORE INFO



-----------------------------------------------------------------------


COVENTRY GT

11/12th NOVEMBER

Centre AT7, Bell Green Road, Coventry UK

TICKET LINK

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEODIS GAMES

26th NOVEMBER

BATTLE IN THE CRIMSON SNOW


TICKET LINK TO FOLLOW


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIBBLE RUMBLE 
(My event)

MORE PLACES MADE AVAILABLE

ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT

DECEMBER 2nd/3rd 2023

3 Games Saturday, 2 Sunday 2.25hrs each game. Nice chilled lists appreciated, newcomers welcome.

---------------------------------------------------

2024

THE WELSH GT 2024


-------------------------------------

Gunman Airsoft - Eversley Alpha, The Welsh Drive, Eversley, Hook, UK


No comments:

Post a Comment