Sunday 14 July 2024

Mag the Mighty v Martells

Ok, so Ste was due to be my opponent but on account of him playing Monday, Tuesday and again, he stepped aside so Colin could play. 

Colin "Kolco" Deane made the trip over to mine for a random scenario, again getting A Dance with Dragons. That's four in a row!!



Colin rocked up with his Martells
Sunspear Dervishes with Oberyn Martell - Prince of Dorne (C)
Darkstar Retinue with High Hermitage Sentinel
Starfall Knights
Starfall Outriders NCU's
Ellaria Sand, Nymeria Sand & Arys Oakheart I'd opted to take a break from losing with Boltons and ran a Mag the Mighty list.I hadnt run a Mag list since the 2022 ELO at LGT and it was real fun. Given his point reduction,
and Tom Simms recent success at Chelmsford, I thought I'd give it a try and see how my
Spear Throwers worked out...
Mag the Mighty - Mag Mar Tun Doh Weg
Giant Spear Thrower
Giant Spear Thrower
Savage Giant
War Mammoth
NCU's Lady Val & Ygritte
Random Terrain saw a wall placed on board edge far left, a hedge and some stakes

Deployment

MARTELLS: Darkstar Retinue, Starfall Knights, Dervishes, Outriders

FREEFOLK: Giant, Mammoth, Mag, Spear Thrower, Spear Thrower


TURN 1

Colin opted to go first, taking the Letters and weakening one of my Spear Throwers. I took the swords, allowing me a shot with a Spear Thrower but no sixes were thrown. Colin took the Horses and I took the bags to prevent any healing when i finally hit with a spear.


Sadly, despite three attempts, no sixes were rolled. 


Colin had moved up quickly, but I held back a bit to maximise shooting. With Colin's 
speed, and having moved up into a 4+ charge range of my move 7 Mammoth (influenced 
by Ygritte). Sadly, Unexpected exhaustion meant I'd only hit on 5+.


But a pair of sixes and critical blow meant I got 5 hits, 2 of which were saved.
Colin used Cunning Ploy instead of activating Oberyn's unit, allowing his Starfall Knights to retreat.


TURN 2

First activation of Turn 2 saw Val take the bags, swapping it to a move action for my Savage Giant


And then swapped out the move action for throwing another Boulder, for 3 wounds and a further 2 from failed panic, leaving a lone, wounded Knight...


Colin charged the Mammoths flank with his Starfall Retinue after it had collected all the tokens from various cards...


With Critical blow, he scored 8 hits and my armour was not defence. My one save was re-rolled with the vulnerable token...


Still, he took three Darkstars down when he landed on them


I moved with the Horses one of my spear throwers, while the Starfall Knights ran well away. The moved Spear thrower shifted into 12" range and dropped a pair of Darkstar retinue, who lost two more to the failed panic


Colin held back his Outriders, keeping Mag out of range


The Savage Giant shifted across, into 12" range for another Hurl Boulder


It hit it's mark and squashed the last Starfall Knight...


Tactics Board End of Turn 2


BOARD AT END OF TURN 2

The Dervishers had marched up, while the Outriders sped around ready to get behind my Giants


END OF TURN 2

MARTELLS 1 VP (1 Unit)

FREE FOLK 1 VP (1 Unit)

TURN 3

Colin activated his Darkstar Retinue and charged my Spear Thrower, causing 3 wounds. I opted for Ygritte on the bags to heal and remove the weakened. Colin tried to stop it with intercept Orders but rolled  a 2.


Colin then had the Outriders rear end the same Giant, again for 3 wounds but I passed the panic again. And then had Val take the Swords and heal up the wounds with Shrug it Off.


BOARD END OF TURN 3

The Darskstars retreated out of melee, my Giant swung around to threaten them. The Dervishes marched up again, while Mag turned to face the Outriders. The other Spear Thrower dropped three of the Dervishes. The other Spear Thrower engaged killed an Outrider.


END OF TURN 3

MARTELLS 1 VP (1 Unit)

FREE FOLK 1 VP (1 Unit)

Tactics Board End of Turn 3


TURN 4

Mag activated and charged in, but with Rhoynish vengeance meaning I only hit on 4+, I only caused 6 wounds and the Outriders passed their panic (preventing me playing Overrun!!!)


Colin took the swords to deny me an extra attack, but failed to hit with his lone Outrider. I activated the engaged Giant, playing Enrage and killing the Outrider. 


I then played Overrun and charged into the Darkstar Outriders


This dropped him back down to five men


I charged the Dervishes with the other Spear Thrower, killing two but tehy retreated out and onto the objective


END OF TURN 4

MARTELLS 2 VP's (1 unit, 1 objective)

FREE FOLK 2 VP's (2 units)

Board at End of Turn 4

The Darkstar Retinue survived a flank charge from my Savage Giant and retreated out of melee while the Dervishes healed up. Mag was frustrated as the Martell's outmaneuvered his forces


TURN 5

On activating his Dervishes, I played Monsters from the North and they failed their panic check, dropping the objective


They charged in and didn't roll well, given I only had 4 wounds.


I did fail the panic, and was left on one wound. Colin used Oberyn's poison to prevent me healing


I retreated out using Val. I already had Vulnerable, so Colin took the Letters and gave my one wound Giant another Vulnerable, meaning he took his last wound. Tricksy, btu legit. Damn it. Colin then used the horses to move Oberyn back onto the objective.


The Darkstars charged Mag, who when activated and got hit with Rising Temperatures so I couldnt heal and was hitting on 5+ now...


The Darkstars had retreated out and last activation was a crown panic on Mag


That failure left him on one wound!!! AARGH!!!


END OF TURN 5

MARTELLS 4 VP's (2 units, 2 objectives)

FREE FOLK 2 VP's (2 units)

My first activation was a failed charge at Oberyn. Colin countered by crashing into Mag and killing him, although he did lash out and take a few Darkstars with him. 


With his death, I looked to play Last of their Kind but rising temperatures on the other Savage Giant meant we didn't think I could play it on him. It doesn't say target, but logic said no. So my Spear thrower attacked and dropped the Darkstars to the High Hermitage Sentinel, who then failed his panic...


With the last throw of the dice, I shot a Dervish from long range with my Spear thrower but Colin passed the panic...

END OF GAME

MARTELLS 6 VP's (3 units, 3 objectives)

FREEFOLK 3 VP's (3 units)


While being really disappointed with my inability to roll 6's at long range with the Giant Spear throwers, this was still an awesome game. It was really tight, and cagey all the way through. Colin's maneuverability and speed (move 6 on all units) allowed him to literally run rings around my plodding Giants. Mag was kept out of melee too much, and I was my usual impulsive self with the Mammoth charge turn 1. Colin played it well, and he got rising Temperatures out at the right time to really hamper Mag . Greta game, and well deserved win...


UPCOMING EVENTS


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Saturday 20th July, 22 players

ASOIF-STAT LINK

SOLD OUT


(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)

___________________________________________________________

Fire and Dice Northern Brawl


Saturday 24th August

16 players

Fire and Dice Games, Borough Road, Middlesbrough, UK



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



WARDENS OF THE SOUTH PRESENT 

SOUTHERN SUMMER SCRAP

Sat 31st AUGUST, 24 Players

at ENTOYMENT WARGAMING & HOBBY CENTRE, 
POOLE, DORSET



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8th September

              Clash in the Crownlands


Bad Moon Cafe in London

12 player event


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


YECATS MINIATURES PRESENTS


SATURDAY 28th & SUNDAY 29th September

THE LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT 



(AWESOME EVENT, IF YOU CAN GO, GO. SADLY I CANNOT)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Falkirk Arena Bash
26th October
Falkirk Arena
20 players

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Battle of the 3 Swords (Christmas is Coming)

SATURDAY 23rd NOVEMBER
30 players
(Last few tickets)


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"THE OLD GODS & THE NEW"

LEODIS GAMES LEEDS  24th NOVEMBER 2025


(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)
----------------------------------------------------------------------





"Honour, not Honours"

RIBBLE RUMBLE 2024

16... NO, 24 PLAYER TWO DAY EVENT
(So no longer Sold Out) 

Reserve List if all 24 sell (17 gone)

30th NOV/1st DEC 

ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT


(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2025

"Blood Over Highgarden" - Become "Warden of Kent"

YECATS MINIATURES

SATURDAY JANUARY 18th 2025

RAGNAROK HOBBIES

2nd Floor, 33 High St, Gillingham ME7 1BQ



---------------------------------------

8th & 9th February 2025

50 player event

Vlad's Emporium

278 St. Vincent Street,

Glasgow,

G2 5RL,

Scotland


----------------------------------------

March 1st/2nd 2025

Pontnewynydd, Pontypool, UK




(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 weeks later, March 29th/30th 2025

and needing no introduction...



THE 
ASOIF STATS INVITATIONAL


(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)

No comments:

Post a Comment