Thursday 30 May 2024

House Bolton v House Greyjoy: A Dance with Dragons

 Andy popped over to trial one of his Greyjoys list for his upcoming visit with Ste to the Chelmsford Bunker and Yecats Battle of the Three Swords. I was still awaiting my first win with Roose led Boltons, so it should prove to be an interesting battle given we both had 8 activations and no cavalry.

Andy was running a Balon led Greyjoy force consisting of

Ironmakers with Balon Greyjoy - The Kraken King (C)

Ironborn Reavers with Jokin - Archer Captain

Stony Shore Pillagers with The Widower - Second In Command

Ironborn Bowmen with Baelor Blacktyde - Captain of the Nightflyer

Drowned Men NCU's

Erik Ironmaker, Beron Blacktyde & Asha Greyjoy

I'd ditched the Flayed Men for a 3 NCU list...

Blackguards with Roose Bolton - Lord of the Dreadfort (C)

Blackguards

Dreadfort Spearmen

Dreadfort Spearmen

Dreadfort Archers with Damon Dance-For-Me - Bastard's Boy NCU's

Tybald, Ramsay Snow & Walda Frey

TERRAIN & DEPLOYMENT

Random Terrain: Hedge, Hedge, Corpse pile, Bog, Weir Wood

GREYJOYS: Ironmakers, Bowmen, Drowned Men at rear, Reavers,

Stony Shore Pillagers

BOLTONS: Blackguard, Archers, Spearmen, Blackguard, Spearmen



TURN 1

I opted to first and took the Letters, panicking a unit.


Andy then took the bags to remove the panic, I took Horses, I took a wound from a failed panic on my far right spearmen from the Crowns, and i took Swords. Then we activated units...


We marched up all across the board really...


TURN 2

I took two wounds on my Spearmen as Andy took the  Swords to allow his bowmen to fire


And failed the panic too for another pair to fall (run away)


I took the Horses to advance up and take the right side objective


Andy sent the Reavers in and I opted not to use Set for Charge as The Widower and Stony Shore boys would have charged me from Sentinel, and then the Reavers would have attacked. I played Seeing their Flaws after the mauling, then used the panic to heal up my Spearmen


I then flanked with my Blackguard 


And gave the Reavers a panic from Remorseless Examples


The Pillagers charged into my Spearmen


scoring five hits with Precision. Ouch!!!


I played my second Cruel Methods to heal up again


My Dreadfort Archers fired into the Reavers and despite re-rolls still missed with half!!!


But I dropped the Reavers to two (though the Drowned Men healed them up a bit later). But I lost 3 Spearmen to failed panic plus one to ruthless volley, and two Blackguard to same. And the Reavers ended up with the objective still...


I'd taken the centre with Roose, but Balon's Ironmakers went for the flank of the other Blackguard, dropping three from the attacks


And I passed the panic check


END OF TURN 2

HOUSE GREYJOY 1 VP (1 objective)

HOUSE BOLTON 1 VP (1 objective)


BOARD at END of TURN 2


TURN 3

I had the centre objective which allowed my Blackguard to heal two. I then had Ramsey take the Swords and got my Blackguard to attack (forgetting to influence them for a very basic mistake)


 I also played Our Blades are Sharp for Vulnerable and Precision


And they died, as Andy had not gotten What is Dead May never die as yet!!!


Andy used the Stony Shore Pillagers to wipe out the Spearmen, before I hit the Ironmakers with the Blackguard who turned to face. I got one hit, which was saved!!! Then activated Asha, so I used a Tybald token on the Horses and Andy used bags to heal up, so I claimed the Horses and moved up my Spearmen


But I then activated Walda, taking the Letters and Andy took the Crown but failed to cause any wounds with the panic check on my spearmen


I then fired into the combat with the Dreadfort Archers but lost five Blackguard for two Ironmakers. One for Ruthless volley, three from failed panic and one from the two hits that Asha's influence on the passed panic from the Ironmakers caused


 Baelor's Bowmen shot me down, with five hits in the flank and I failed four armour saves.


I charged in with the Spearmen, having given them Harsh Punishments for Sundering...


I was attacked in return, and rolled quite well only losing five in total


But this allowed plenty of healing for the Greyjoy's from Fuelled by Slaughter


I tried a 3+ charge with Roose's Blackguard into the Ironmakers flank


But at least I passed the panic and held the objective. Andy, with the last activation, then sent in his elite Drowned Men, who easily wiped out my Dreadfort Spearmen


END OF TURN 3

HOUSE GREYJOY 5 VP's (3 units, 2 objectives)

HOUSE BOLTON 3 VP's (1 unit, 2 objectives)

BOARD AT END OF TURN 3

A turn that had started out well ended simply disastrously, down to my own dice and my own treacherous, feckless and cowardly troops...


TURN 4

Andy took the Horses and advanced up the Stony Shore Pillagers. I had Ramsey take the Swords (and influenced Roose's unit) and scored two wounds on the Drowned Men


I used the Whispered threats card that led Andy to make Erik pass, before we filled the tactics board.


I activated the Dreadfort Archers and fired ineffectually into the flank of the Ironmakers


The Ironmakers then activated and charged the Blackguard but despite Asha's influence, the Ironmakers failed the Horrific Visage test and dropped the right objective token as well as a full rank due to Roose's Intimidating Presence...


Andy took two wounds for Finger Dance prior to attacking


And my armour simply cracked and I failed the panic, while the Ironmakers healed of Fuelled by Slaughter and took the objective off of me...


My attack back from the Blackguard totally fluffed. The Stoney Shore Pillagers failed a 5+ charge while the Drowned Men moved up centrally


END OF TURN 4

HOUSE GREYJOY 6 VP's (3 units, 3 objectives)

HOUSE BOLTON 3 VP's (1 unit, 2 objectives)

TURN 5

I had Ramsey activate and take the Swords, influencing the Blackguard and having the Dreadfort Archers shoot into the Ironmakers


This finally proved to be quite successful


                              as a failed panic check allowing me to heal up too


As Asha looked to activate, I spent my last Tybald token on the Horses, which Andy let go


The Ironmakers healed up heavily, but I was able to move my archers over with the horses. Then they activated to fire again, this time ineffectually...


I tried a Crown zap on the Asha influenced Ironmakers, and they passed but I lost a Blackguard to one of the hits given


The Ironmakers activated to attack the Blackguard, passing their horrific Visage and playing The Old Ways which I cancelled with A Flayed Man Has No Secrets. So no Vulnerable token on me or re-roll of attacks for Andy!!!


It didn't matter, I totally fluffed my armour saves and failed the panic check with gusto!!!


I lost three archers to their Ironborn counterparts, before the Pillagers charged home


I managed to survive with the kind of panic roll I could have done with earlier while shooting into combat


The elite Drowned Men charged in through the bog with a six. But the were too splashing each other to actually hit my two archers


END OF TURN 5

HOUSE GREYJOY 8 VP's (4 units, 4 objectives)

HOUSE BOLTON 3 VP's (1 unit, 2 objectives)

TURN 6

Surviving allowed me to survive into the last turn. Andy took the swords and killed Damon and his last Archer with the Stony Shore Pillagers


END OF GAME

HOUSE GREYJOY 9 VP's (5 units, 4 objectives)

HOUSE BOLTON 3 VP's (1 unit, 2 objectives) - WIPED OUT

Well, that went downhill very fast in Turn three. It was a very straightforward battle, but I simply lost too many of my own men to my own actions, especially given the healing I did in Turn's 2  and 3. Andy's force with Beron and Asha NCU's really buffed his morale, in addition to his pillage boost. I was planning on trying a double Dreadfort Archer list, but I don't think I have the morale to cope with it. The Ironmakers with Balon were as tough as expected, and the Ironborn archers were consistently good, although they killed less Boltons than my own Dreadfort Archers did. Well deserved win for Andy

UPCOMING EVENTS

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Saturday 20th July, 16 players

ASOIF-STAT LINK

SOLD OUT

(RESERVE LIST FOR INCREASED CAPACITY?)

(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)
________________________________________________________



27th - 28th JULY

COMMON GROUND GAMES

40b Cowane Street

Stirling, FK8 1JR

RULESPACK (and ticket info)


(MY COUNTRIES PREMIER EVENT, I'll BE THERE)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8th September

              Clash in the Crownlands


Bad Moon Cafe in London

12 player event


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


YECATS MINIATURES PRESENTS


SATURDAY 28th & SUNDAY 29th September

THE LONDON GRAND TOURNAMENT 



(AWESOME EVENT, IF YOU CAN GO, GO. SADLY I CANNOT)















"THE OLD GODS & THE NEW"

LEODIS GAMES LEEDS  24th NOVEMBER 2025


(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)
----------------------------------------------------------------------




"Honour, not Honours"

RIBBLE RUMBLE 2024

16 PLAYERS TWO DAY EVENT
(8 tickets sold in first 4 days)

30th NOV/1st DEC 

ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT


(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2025

"Blood Over Highgarden" - Become "Warden of Kent"

YECATS MINIATURES

SATURDAY JANUARY 18th 2025

RAGNAROK HOBBIES

2nd Floor, 33 High St, Gillingham ME7 1BQ



---------------------------------------

8th & 9th February 2025

50 player event

Vlad's Emporium

278 St. Vincent Street,

Glasgow,

G2 5RL,

Scotland


----------------------------------------

March 1st/2nd 2025

Pontnewynydd, Pontypool, UK




(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 weeks later, March 29th/30th 2025

and needing no introduction...



THE 
ASOIF STATS INVITATIONAL


(I'll be there with other Wardens of the North-West)

No comments:

Post a Comment