Saturday 25 May 2024

House Martell v House Bolton: A Dance with Dragons

 We had the return of Colin over at mine for his first ASOIF game since last year's London Grand Tournament. He was running his new army, House Martell led by Harmen Uller and a few NCU's you don't see much of...

Lysene Sellswords with Harmen Uller - Lord of Hellholt (C)

Dune Vipers

Sand Skirmishers with Spearlord

Starfall Knights NCU's

Arianne Martell, Ellaria Sand & Arys Oakheart

I opted to run Roose again for my Boltons.

Blackguards with Roose Bolton - Lord of the Dreadfort (C)

Flayed Men with Fortune Seeker
Dreadfort Spearmen with Grunt - Bastard's Boy
Cutthroats
Dreadfort Archers with Damon Dance-For-Me - Bastard's Boy
NCU's
Ramsay Snow & Tybald

RANDOM TERRAIN & DEPLOYMENT

Terrain Left to Right: Bog, Bog, Wall, Weirwood and Hedge

MARTELLS: Starfall Knights, Dune Vypers, Sand Skirmishers & Lysene Sellswords

BOLTONS: Flayed Men, Spearmen, Blackguard, Dreadfort Archers, Cutthroats


TURN 1

Colin opted to take first turn, taking the Letters. I moved up my Cutthroats on the right from horse, and after Colin took the swords to have the Lysene destroy the hedge, I took the bags to remove the token before taking a wound on the Flayed Men from the crown.


Both our cavalry units held off, as did my archers but they were in range of the Sand Skirmishers for next turn. My Cutthroats marched up to take the right objective.


TURN 2

I had Ramsey influence the Cutthroats and use the swords to allow the Dreadfort Archers shoot the Sand Skirmishers


Five hits caused two wounds, but a failed panic saw another pair fall..


I placed a Tybald token on the Letters, but Arys took it to deny me a double activation. I took the Horses next


And moved the Blackguard forwards to threaten Colin's line


Colin took the bags and healed up the Sand Skirmishers, so I charged them. 
Or rather tried and failed...


Arianne Martell had influenced my spearmen, denying the unit orders and the Dune Vypers charged in. Despite no set for charge, I could use Grunt's order so only took a wound for every two failed saves


I activated the Dreadfort Archers, sacrificed a Spearman and shot the Dune Vypers


This dropped a few back off of them


I passed my panic check and Colin looked to heal up with Spiteful Truce but I countered with Seeing their Flaws, denying them the heal.


The Sand Skirmishers swerved away from the Blackguard, moving, then shifting and shooting the Cutthroats


Colin hadn't popped his Scout Openings order but after seeing his dice, I took pity on him 😇


I passed the panic check so held the objective, then thought about charging in with the Cutthroats but declined and backed off an inch...


Meanwhile, I took the risk and charged the flank of the Vypers with the Flayed Men, disappointingly rolling another 1 on the charge. But at least they were in...


Still, I managed six hits...


And killed six but they held their nerve and two survived...


Of course, I'd exposed my rear but that was the risk. I had hoped to smash the Vypers and turn and face but as it was I was in a pretty pickle...


At least they didn't have critical blow, as all ten hit on first roll, and all rolling 4 or higher 


I passed one armour save, leaving me on two wounds...


And that damn failed panic on Turn 1 cost me the unit. Ok, the 10 rear hits helped too...


And so I struck the Vypers with my weakened spearmen, but they only killed one. But at least I claimed the objective, though I'd liked to have got more than two hits, one kill and another passed morale check

END OF TURN 2

HOUSE BOLTON 2 VP's (2 objectives)

HOUSE MARTELL 1 VP (1 unit)

BOARD at END OF TURN 2

The Lysene Pirates had held back, and the Starfall Knights would surely be Colin's first activation


TURN 3

Sure enough it was, and although Grunts order allowed for only four wounds, I rolled a 3 on the D3 in failing the panic and a second unit died to a rear charge by the Starfall Knights


I activated the Blackguard and charged the flank of the Sand Skirmishers, who played Set for Charge and turned to face when attacking. Alas, the failed their Horrific Visage and with Intimidating Presence dropped a full rank. My attack and their failed panic reduce them to three models but Roose's Spread Fear order failed to finish off the lone Vyper.


Colin activated and retreated his Skirmishers, who dropped a few Cutthroats and who lost a further man and the objective in failing the panic. I placed Ramsey on the Swords, influenced the Cutthroats and had the Dreadfort Archers shoot up the Skirmishers, wiping them out


Colin took the Horses and advanced up the Pirates, so I charged them with the Cutthroats. Good job I had dropped the objective or I wouldn't have made it in, rolling my third one on a charge in this game!!! I did quite a bit of damage as they hadn't activated and healed two wounds thanks to Ramseys Fuelled by Slaughter influence. Colin then healed the Pirates.


Healing the Pirates dissuaded me from shooting them, so I took the opportunity to finish off the last Vyper


I scored five hits but Colin almost made his saves... Almost!!!



I panicked the Starfall Knights, hoping they'd drop the objective and they did have a panic token


Which Colin duly failed, dropping the objective


The newly healed up Pirates attacked my Cutthroats but I survived due to some poor attack dice...


But with more ranks, the Pirates stole the token anyway


BOARD END OF TURN 3

Well, we'd both dropped two units now and my Archers were definitely under threat. 



END OF TURN 3

HOUSE BOLTON 4 VP's (2 units, 2 objectives)

HOUSE MARTELL 3 VP's (2 units, 1 objective)

TURN 4

At start of Turn I played Harsh punishments on the Cutthroats I had Ramsey take the Swords and influence the Cutthroats before attacking with them. Maximum attacks with Sundering, Vicious and on 3+ to hit. I played Our Blades are Sharp for Precision too.


Four auto-wounds and three hits cut the Pirates down a lot...


But Colin passed his panic check and then healed up off of the Bags


I activated the Blackguards and Colin played Rising Temperatures. Fortunately, I was in range of the Starfall Knights and spend their vulnerable token to stop the card. 


I then charged the flank of the Pirates. And rolled a fourth 1 on the charge!!!


With no re-rolls, I only struck down two. 


And Colin again nailed his panic. Shame, but I stole the objective.


Colin charged my Dreadfort Archers in the rear, but only rolled nine hits and I saved one 


And if Colin can do well with a panic roll, so can I... 

Colin enjoyed pointing out that I was panicked and spent the token
 (although he kept the D3 the same)


I had Tybald take the Horses and retreat away from the cavalry...


Colin took the Letters and weakened my Dreadfort Archers


I activated the Archers, giving both my engaged units a wound for re-rolls and Precision. And as it was Damon, I had seven shots...


I dropped them to Harmen Uller himself before the panic, which he passed again!!! My Cutthroats passed their test


This allowed Colin to heal four from Spiteful Truce. And then my Blackguard failed their panic, passing the token over to the Lysene pirates. AAARRGHHH!!!


The newly rejuvenated Pirates attacked my remaining Cutthroats. With their Pirate Blades giving Critical Blow for eight hits from five attacks!!!


This easily finished off my three Cutthroats, while the Pirates healed two for activating while controlling the Crown and two more for having completed a melee attack and having two pillage tokens.

BOARD AT END OF TURN 4


END OF TURN 4

HOUSE MARTELL 6 VP's (3 units, 3 objectives)

HOUSE BOLTON 4 VP's (2 units, 2 objectives)

TURN 5

Arianne on Swords and influencing my Blackguard to stop Roose again saw his Pirates attack


Again, those pesky Pirates double sixed a panic check, for Horrific Visage


I lost three men thanks to some good armour saves, so I healed and removed the weakened token on my Blackguard. Colin then failed a 4+ charge with his Starfall Knights into Damon.


I attacked with Damon, and dropped some Pirates but as many Blackguard from the failed panic before passing a Crown panic with Damon. My Blackguard attacked but the Pirates just wouldn't fail a panic now...


I healed up the Blackguard with Cruel Methods, as the Lysene retreated out of melee

BOARD END OF TURN 5


END OF TURN 5

HOUSE MARTELL 8 VP's (3 units, 5 objectives)

HOSUE BOLTON 4 VP's (2 units, 2 objectives)


TURN 6

I charged in with the Blackguard, rolling well with all five attacks


Five wounds were caused leaving Harmer alone again but he passed the test!!! Colin took the Swords to my surprise (as I thought he'd retreat of horses). But he played Battle endurance instead, signalling his intent. I then had the option of cancelling it with A Flayed Man has No Secrets. I decided against it, as he had a Horrific Visage test first and hadnt used Arianne so Intimidating presence was active...


Unbelievably, Colin passed again. Just, but a pass is a pass. So Harmen Uller on his own attacked eight Blackguard and Roose. He had maximum attacks, two extra dice, re-rolls, Sundering and Critical Blow

The nine attacks yielded THIRTEEN hits...

The Blackguard were wiped out... WOW!!!

I took the Horses and moved Damon up and turned to face Harmen, but alas the Starfall Knights got the 4+ charge this time and my force was trampled underfoot...


END OF TURN 6 (and Game)

HOUSE MARTELL 12 VP's (5 units, 7 objectives)

HOUSE BOLTON 4 VP's (2 units, 2 objectives)

An incredible game!!! It was brilliant, and it was so close and swingy throughout. 
Colin out-lucked me for first time in any of our games, with four 1's on charges for me, and so many high panic checks passed by him. Those Lysene Pirates were charmed throughout but Colin's cards were good too. We both made some mistakes, but I took the risk with the Flayed Men and it didn't pay off. The Dreadfort Archers dropping the objective off of the Blackguards was harsh and the Pirates never gave it back. Good to have Colin back playing, and a deserved win for him but I definitely feel hard done by. 

Next up is Andy's Greyjoys...

----------------------------------------------------------------

UPCOMING EVENTS

22nd June 

Entoyment Wargaming & Hobby Centre, Poole Dorset

Wardens Unite!!!


25pt each doubles event , 3 x 2.5hr Games


Really wish I could go, this sounds awesome!!!
-----------------------------------

Some good lads (and lass) down at Cryptic Cabin, 
 and they are having a 30 point starter box event on 30th JUNE




________________________________________________________



27th - 28th JULY

COMMON GROUND GAMES

40b Cowane Street

Stirling, FK8 1JR

RULESPACK (and ticket info)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BATTLE OF THE THREE SWORDS

SOLD OUT


Winner to be crowned Warden of Essex 
(PsychoSte, bring it home to Liverpool laaaa... Or Andy 😘)
_______________

"THE OLD GODS & THE NEW"

LEODIS GAMES LEEDS  24th NOVEMBER 2025


----------------------------------------------------------------------




"Honour, not Honours"

RIBBLE RUMBLE 2024

16 PLAYERS TWO DAY EVENT
(8 tickets sold in first 4 days)

30th NOV/1st DEC 

ELEMENT GAMES, STOCKPORT



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2025

March 1st/2nd 2025

Pontnewynydd, Pontypool, UK




---------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 weeks later, March 29th/30th 2025

and needing no introduction...



THE 
ASOIF STATS INVITATIONAL



No comments:

Post a Comment